Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
You mean after warning letter, most get shut down regardless of what type of transactions they have after wards? That means warning letter is just a formality and they have decided to close the account. Can someone corroborate this?
I think thats it exactly..See Sam_Gohs post?

I know people have filed complaints with CFPB but haven't read about any results yet.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:45 pm

I have got a brand new 5X WF, I'm trying to make sure I will receive 5X bonus points so I charged a WM payment on Friday as test, the charges are posted today but when I look under rewards sections, it is not showing up. I thought as soon as the charges are posted then they also should show up on rewards side. It is not showing even 1%, so I believe it will post may take some time. In the rewards section, it does talk about 5X for gas grocery etc and 180 days.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:12 pm

I have got a brand new 5X WF, I'm trying to make sure I will receive 5X bonus points so I charged a WM payment on Friday as test, the charges are posted today but when I look under rewards sections, it is not showing up. I thought as soon as the charges are posted then they also should show up on rewards side. It is not showing even 1%, so I believe it will post may take some time. In the rewards section, it does talk about 5X for gas grocery etc and 180 days.
give it a few days...will post 5x pts
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by danhouston
give it a few days...will post 5x pts
Not all WMs are coded as 5x or grocery.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 2:37 pm

Finished up my 6 months with no problem about a month ago.. probably put around 1/2mil in spend on it during that time.

Got my wife a card and spent her limit in each of the first two statements with no problem. Ramped up towards the end of this 3rd statement and just received the warning letter today dated July 13th. Her points post in two days, so hopefully we can get those out at least.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Not all WMs are coded as 5x or grocery.
super WM is coded 5x on mine
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:19 pm

Seems like WF is watching like a hawk. Do you think spending up to a credit line should be okay, once you cycle your limit then they shut you down. I just received a card for SO, thinking about not cycling more than the CL of 10K for first few months so you can earn atleast $ 500 per month for couple of months and then ramp it for the last 3 months.

The other issue is, multiple times Bill Pays, 2000 each for 5 times a month. I'm not sure if this would be an issue if you are not cycling your credit line.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:03 pm

Seems like WF is watching like a hawk. Do you think spending up to a credit line should be okay, once you cycle your limit then they shut you down. I just received a card for SO, thinking about not cycling more than the CL of 10K for first few months so you can earn atleast $ 500 per month for couple of months and then ramp it for the last 3 months.

The other issue is, multiple times Bill Pays, 2000 each for 5 times a month. I'm not sure if this would be an issue if you are not cycling your credit line.
FWIW,

Spending the credit line once a month was fine for two months on her card. The shutdown letter was dated 5 days after I started paying off the balance regularly to maximize spending. So I'd say if you want to at least be guarantee'd some sort of return, it would be prudent to just spend your limit once per month and wait for the statement to post before paying off the balance. I wouldn't recommend doing multiple bill plays, why don't you just pay from your wells fargo checking account?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by rburrel
FWIW,

why don't you just pay from your wells fargo checking account?
Well, I have to get money into my WF to pay the CC right? One way I can get money into WF checking is through GO bank, I do not have WF nearby where I could deposit the MOs and even that won't be prudent.

After I buy VGCs, how do you get money into your WF checking, you only have few options. Deposit the MOs in local banks and then transfer money to WF checking or Go bank card.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:22 am

Well, I have to get money into my WF to pay the CC right? One way I can get money into WF checking is through GO bank, I do not have WF nearby where I could deposit the MOs and even that won't be prudent.

After I buy VGCs, how do you get money into your WF checking, you only have few options. Deposit the MOs in local banks and then transfer money to WF checking or Go bank card.
I wouldn't deposit MOs into WF, but I know some successful people have. He gets them into WF the same way I told you via PM.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 8:51 am

Has anyone had Go bank mail a check to WF? or any other bank for that matter to mail a check to WF? It might take more time to post it to your account and there is possibility that it gets lost. What are your thoughts on this? I'm trying to figure a way to not make multiple payments to WF CC and pay your CC balance only through WF checking.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:15 am

ACH transfer?
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:22 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
ACH transfer?
The Go bank account is not in my name. You can not setup WF as an external bank on GO bank side. The WF won't allow me to setup Gobank a/c which is not in my name. So there is no way to pull or push the money between the two bank accounts, other than having Go bank to mail a check to WF PO box. I have been using go bank bill pay to pay the WF CC which I'm trying to avoid.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:08 am

The Go bank account is not in my name. You can not setup WF as an external bank on GO bank side. The WF won't allow me to setup Gobank a/c which is not in my name. So there is no way to pull or push the money between the two bank accounts, other than having Go bank to mail a check to WF PO box. I have been using go bank bill pay to pay the WF CC which I'm trying to avoid.
ACH to WF checking. Pay your balance. Done.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DI AA LTPL MAR LTPL HY GL
Any success with claims after shutdowns yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.