Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2016, 11:55 pm

I tried to search the answer to my question but not sure what's the better keyword... I hope someone could make a wiki post. I apologize in advance if they have been asked multiple times in the past. Here are my four questions:

1) My application went to pending today and I called what I thought was Wells Fargo UW 866-412-5956. I was told that it's pending and check back in 24-48 business hours. Is this common and does this mean anything? I opened a checking account with them last Jan or so and just kept a 1500 balance with them for the past year...

2) They seem to have 4 similar products for 5x bonus per spend within 6 months - excluding the rebate ones:

Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa® Card - 5% cash back
Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa Signature® Card - 5% cash back
Wells Fargo Rewards Visa® Card - 5X points
Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card - 5X points with 50% bonus if redeem for airfare

Does this mean you can get one of each for total of 2 years of 5 times reward/cash back? I applied for Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card and if I got the inferior platinum version, would I still get the 50% bonus for airfare?

3) How do you request soft pull CLI? When and how frequent?

4) For the future... can you actually merge all the reward points from different cards (Propel, Propel World, Propel 365, Rewards visa, and visa sig)? Only the points earned through visa sig gets 50%bonus airfare right or all points merged to that account (if possible) get the 50% airfare?

Last edited by greatname; Jan 3, 2016 at 12:07 am
Old Jan 3, 2016, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by rburrel
She comes back 5 minutes later to tell me that they have to request the 5% be added to my account with the executive office, and that said office will contact me within 1 to 5 business days with their decision.)
My brother applied in the bank and they gave him the wrong card. He had to cancel that card and re-apply for the "Signature" card. Finally they approved him after 2 months of fighting with the bank. Keep us posted!
Old Jan 3, 2016, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by greatname
I tried to search the answer to my question but not sure what's the better keyword... I hope someone could make a wiki post. I apologize in advance if they have been asked multiple times in the past. Here are my four questions:

1) My application went to pending today and I called what I thought was Wells Fargo UW 866-412-5956. I was told that it's pending and check back in 24-48 business hours. Is this common and does this mean anything? I opened a checking account with them last Jan or so and just kept a 1500 balance with them for the past year...
No clue. I called a banker and applied over the phone.
2) They seem to have 4 similar products for 5x bonus per spend within 6 months - excluding the rebate ones:

Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa® Card - 5% cash back
Wells Fargo Rewards Visa® Card - 5X points
Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card - 5X points with 50% bonus if redeem for airfare

Does this mean you can get one of each for total of 2 years of 5 times reward/cash back? I applied for Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card and if I got the inferior platinum version, would I still get the 50% bonus for airfare?
If you find out, let me know. I applied for

The banker I talked with said if I applied for the
Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa® Card
that I would get the 0% APR rate for 18 months but not the 5% back for the first 6 months.

I'm sure I could get my wife to do one of these cards in 6 months, but it would be nice to know if I should just cancel my card at the end and then reapply for one of the other ones next year at this time (assuming they still don't put a cap on these cards)
3) How do you request soft pull CLI? When and how frequent?
I ended up with a 17K CL, so I am quite happy. WF appears to hit Transunion which happened to be my best score.

4) For the future... can you actually merge all the reward points from different cards (Propel, Propel World, Propel 365, Rewards visa, and visa sig)? Only the points earned through visa sig gets 50%bonus airfare right or all points merged to that account (if possible) get the 50% airfare?
Any idea if brokers will buy WF points?
Old Jan 3, 2016, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
No clue. I called a banker and applied over the phone.

If you find out, let me know. I applied for

The banker I talked with said if I applied for the
Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa® Card
that I would get the 0% APR rate for 18 months but not the 5% back for the first 6 months.

I'm sure I could get my wife to do one of these cards in 6 months, but it would be nice to know if I should just cancel my card at the end and then reapply for one of the other ones next year at this time (assuming they still don't put a cap on these cards)

I ended up with a 17K CL, so I am quite happy. WF appears to hit Transunion which happened to be my best score.

Any idea if brokers will buy WF points?
Wow. I believe this is the longest completely useless non-answer I've ever read.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:04 am

2 quick questions for those of you experienced with this card:
1) Where on the account do you see the expiration date for the 5%? I can't seem to find that anywhere...
2) Are you able to train this card to accept >$2000 transactions? Or is it better just to split up into 2 consecutive $1000 transactions. Or is that likely to cause a FA?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:13 am

2 quick questions for those of you experienced with this card:
1) Where on the account do you see the expiration date for the 5%? I can't seem to find that anywhere...
2) Are you able to train this card to accept >$2000 transactions? Or is it better just to split up into 2 consecutive $1000 transactions. Or is that likely to cause a FA?
1. go to my rewards, my activity, it'll tell you how many days you have left. I'm not sure if it'll show you the expiration date though.

2. yes you can train it to accept $2k. start slow and slowly increase. You'll most likely get a FA with 2 consecutive 1k transactions.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
1. go to my rewards, my activity, it'll tell you how many days you have left. I'm not sure if it'll show you the expiration date though.

2. yes you can train it to accept $2k. start slow and slowly increase. You'll most likely get a FA with 2 consecutive 1k transactions.
Thanks. I'll try this approach.

Odd, I don't see anything about days left under Account Activity. Maybe its because I just opened this over the weekend and I haven't even received my card yet?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:18 am

Thanks. I'll try this approach.

Odd, I don't see anything about days left under Account Activity. Maybe its because I just opened this over the weekend and I haven't even received my card yet?
probably. Don't worry, you have a little over 6 months. Your first statement is very short, a few weeks I think after your account was opened.

Then the last date is a few days before the 7th statement.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:41 pm

probably. Don't worry, you have a little over 6 months. Your first statement is very short, a few weeks I think after your account was opened.

Then the last date is a few days before the 7th statement.
Thanks. Just looked again and I see it showing now. 189 days left... I'm planning on the first morning I have the card doing a 1 $500 transaction at a drug store and then 1 $1000 transaction at a grocery store. Hoping that doesn't set off the FA.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 1:50 pm

Thanks. Just looked again and I see it showing now. 189 days left... I'm planning on the first morning I have the card doing a 1 $500 transaction at a drug store and then 1 $1000 transaction at a grocery store. Hoping that doesn't set off the FA.
The FAs are easy to clear. It's just a hassle when the transaction doesn't go through.

WF's automated system usually calls right away to confirm x number of transactions. Keep that number handy (from caller id when they call you), you can call it even if they don't call you to clear the FA.

Sorry, I don't have the number anymore.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:16 pm

Data Point: Friend got account shutdown after letting his card end up with a negative balance.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by MarcoPolo88
Data Point: Friend got account shutdown after letting his card end up with a negative balance.
Thanks

Can you clarify a few points:

1) Was this due to paying charges early?
ie. CL=10
Charges Mon=5
Charges Tue=5
On Wed, Mon charges post but not Tue charges, making 5 "available to pay". Friend paid 5 twice. Internally to WF, the balance may show negative at this point even though you have 5 more of pending charges?
On Thu, charges from Tue post and both payments of 5 post, making balance 0.

I notice MANY times online and on statements that WF has calculated that I am using more than my CL, but this is just due to how they backdate the charges from post date to trans date, and being unable to pay charges until post date..

2) How long was balance negative?

I have been sticking with the theory of never paying an amount that would, when added to my available credit, be greater than my CL, and also never paying anything that I have purchased that day (ie, pay in the morning, charges in the afternoon).
Old Jan 4, 2016, 4:04 pm

Recently I've been having negative balances due to charges posting in 48hrs while payments post in only 24hrs. I guess it was fine in my case since this never lasted long, but i was told by a csr that if a negative balance stays then they'd warn first then shut the account down.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 6:03 pm

just pay from WF checking, it posts immediately and you know how much to pay thereby avoiding a negative balance.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:24 pm

just pay from WF checking, it posts immediately and you know how much to pay thereby avoiding a negative balance.
Good advice, but my questions are still relevant.

I've never tried it, but I think it may allow you to pay twice in one day the full posted balance of your CC, bringing you to a negative balance if you don't proceed to purchase that day to cover the overpayment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.