Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
Cards with zero balances don't earn the promo. So, if you loaded $500 and charged $500 in a single transaction, leaving a $0 balance, you won't get the credit on the $500 charge. Alternatively, if your single transaction was for, say, $498 (leaving $2 balance on card), you should get promo credit of $24.90. At least that's how it's worked for me.
No true! I've ran all mine as $500 credit and got the $25 FB.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lumangoy
No true! I've ran all mine as $500 credit and got the $25 FB.
1) Credit works most of the time, $500 is fine.

2) Debit if it is used as partial payment of a total transaction amount, the rebate would NOT process automatically.
If it is used as the full amount of the transaction, the rebate would post automatically, often very fast.

3) No idea why sometimes it is $25 sometimes it is $24.99. Have seen both but there is no rhythm whatsoever. Seriously, does anyone really care about that 1 cent difference?

4) Using the balance of the card solely made up by the rebate, at the participant merchants, has mixed results on whether the next 5% rebate will post automatically or not. I used them on Staples.com. 2 of them have $1.25 posted in 2 days. 5 of them do not see the rebate even after 3 days going on 4 days. Again, no idea why. Though if one has a stack of them, it is still worthwhile to call to open a ticket.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
1) Credit works most of the time, $500 is fine.

2) Debit if it is used as partial payment of a total transaction amount, the rebate would NOT process automatically.
If it is used as the full amount of the transaction, the rebate would post automatically, often very fast.

3) No idea why sometimes it is $25 sometimes it is $24.99. Have seen both but there is no rhythm whatsoever. Seriously, does anyone really care about that 1 cent difference?

4) Using the balance of the card solely made up by the rebate, at the participant merchants, has mixed results on whether the next 5% rebate will post automatically or not. I used them on Staples.com. 2 of them have $1.25 posted in 2 days. 5 of them do not see the rebate even after 3 days going on 4 days. Again, no idea why. Though if one has a stack of them, it is still worthwhile to call to open a ticket.
starting with my purchases on 12/8, I haven't received the FB. some have posted on the FB thread about not receving the FB too since 12/8

I've tried twice to do debit as the first transaction when purchasing multiple vgcs, and it just doesn't work at my location, so I do credit all the time.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:25 pm

starting with my purchases on 12/8, I haven't received the FB. some have posted on the FB thread about not receving the FB too since 12/8
I called the CS and they said it takes up to 3 business days and the weekend doesn't count as "business days". So hopefully this is just a weekend delay before we all get worked up about it : )
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've tried twice to do debit as the first transaction when purchasing multiple vgcs, and it just doesn't work at my location, so I do credit all the time.
In my area, credit always requires name match. Debit depends on the mood of the cashier / manager. Sometimes they demand name on the card sometimes they dont bother. Stores can also change their policy as they see fit.

Cannot do split payment in debit mode in my area. One cashier turned the screen to show me - the system wanted full amount despite she put in the $500. So I just do it one at a time. It actually is a better way as the stores here are hit or miss as whether they allow GC as payment form.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by DjRocket
I called the CS and they said it takes up to 3 business days and the weekend doesn't count as "business days". So hopefully this is just a weekend delay before we all get worked up about it : )

amen
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
In my area, credit always requires name match. Debit depends on the mood of the cashier / manager. Sometimes they demand name on the card sometimes they dont bother. Stores can also change their policy as they see fit.

Cannot do split payment in debit mode in my area. One cashier turned the screen to show me - the system wanted full amount despite she put in the $500. So I just do it one at a time. It actually is a better way as the stores here are hit or miss as whether they allow GC as payment form.
When I started to MS CVS, they used to match ID with card. Now that Im there almost everyday and twice a day, they dont bother matching the card!

I just need to keep track of which id I last used. Most dont bother looking at picture.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:15 pm

My lasts $25 x 4 cash back is from Dec 7th purchase at CVS posted on 9th. No 5% CB since then. Usually weekend did not matter. I know there was some system error when buying VGC at CVS on 7th afternoon fixed late in the evening. What if they change purchase code for VGC that does not qualify for 5% back anymore.

Last edited by cashcyclone; Dec 12, 2016 at 7:25 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I started to MS CVS, they used to match ID with card. Now that Im there almost everyday and twice a day, they dont bother matching the card!

I just need to keep track of which id I last used. Most dont bother looking at picture.
I have the exact opposite experiences than yours. Today a store manager said she could not sell me any more because "you came a few times last week and all my 3 cashiers as well as me have sold cards to you. I dont feel comfortable to allow that any more."

So there you have it.

I understand some folks use different forms of id belong to the same person so to get away from the daily limit. That does not carry consequence. Just to point out, using other people's id(s) has a consequence if being caught. Just sayin.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Having the worst luck at CVS tonight. Even at the stores I just hit over the weekend, I'm being denied right and left. I soldier on...
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:32 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
deleted posts

I deleted a series of posts that contained a lot of bickering and were generally off-topic for this thread.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
I deleted a series of posts that contained a lot of bickering and were generally off-topic for this thread.
Thank you!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by Carl
Having the worst luck at CVS tonight. Even at the stores I just hit over the weekend, I'm being denied right and left. I soldier on...
Carl, you must be one unlucky dude. First you tell how your two cards out of 19 got hacked and now you get denied at CVS. Do you need some protective charms man? : ) Just tested mine, all good. Hope you just hit a glitch.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by DjRocket
Carl, you must be one unlucky dude. First you tell how your two cards out of 19 got hacked and now you get denied at CVS. Do you need some protective charms man? : ) Just tested mine, all good. Hope you just hit a glitch.
It got worse and then it got better. First, taking advantage of Kroger's hard-coding reversal, I headed to a store where no one has ever batted an eye. Tonight, the clerk demanded to see my ID and the card being used and then added that I would need to hand her the card again as soon as I swiped. Yeah, that wasn't a win. Then I went to two other stores and had no issues there. VGCs worked just like the old days. Whee! Then, at the sixth (!) CVS, I was *finally* able to use five cards to pay. So perhaps my luck has turned.

Speaking of those two compromised cards, I received a letter today from Blackhawk demanding more proof, including a printed credit card statement showing my purchase, to be returned to them within 10 days of the letter (dated Dec 1) or the claim would be void. So for a purchase just a couple of weeks ago, I'm already supposed to have a statement.

Also, FWIW (in case this happens to anyone else), the activation date shown in the card history is the day following the actual purchases.

Last edited by Carl; Dec 12, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Old Dec 12, 2016, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by tuphat
from terms & conditions:

"You can continue to earn money back until the balance on your Card is less than 10 cents. At that point, you will stop earning money back (because 5% of an amount less than 10 cents is less than half a cent, and the Award Sponsor rounds earnings to the nearest whole cent)."
Seriously this disinformation is insane. Round 1: Spend $500; get $25 back; round 2: spend $25 get $1.25 back, round last: spend $0.10 or less and get no cash back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.