Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:07 pm

I know it seems like they're taking losses on these 5B cards, but the most they have to pay out per card is $26.31. The question is, how much money gets left behind on these cards by everyone? Metabank knows this number for sure since they have plenty of sales data to look at. I'm willing to bet that number is well over 5% or else Meta wouldn't take a chance on such a card.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by FrankMS
I know it seems like they're taking losses on these 5B cards, but the most they have to pay out per card is $26.31. The question is, how much money gets left behind on these cards by everyone? Metabank knows this number for sure since they have plenty of sales data to look at. I'm willing to bet that number is well over 5% or else Meta wouldn't take a chance on such a card.
I agree and think we're in the minority keeping track of these. I suspect many buy them thinking they'll get an instant 5% discount off the transaction and give up (or forget) when they realize how it really works.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by phrostbyte
Hello everyone. I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm not exactly new to MS but I've taken somewhat of a hiatus. I used to be really big into the T-mobile/reloadit game... and to a lesser degree the Vanillla Visa/Redbird game. Both of those have been shut down for a while now. I'm looking for the next best option. I recently signed up for 3 new AMEX cards and only want to meet the minimum spend to get the sign of bonuses. 1] 5,000
2] 2,000
3] 1,000

i also have a $25 credit after spending $500 on my Marvel Mastercard

I'm looking for an easy and effective method of spending less than $10,000 total and not having to spend too much in fees. Anyone have any ideas?
does anyone have a link to the simon gift card FAQ? i think i'm going to take a trip and spend it all on simon gift cards (and i guess try to get money orders from walmart later)
I suggest you spend a lot of time reading this thread before you do anything:

[OFFER DEAD, MR accounts frozen, some bonuses clawed back] 100k Amex Plat (USA)

You might also want to google "Amex RAT team" and parse the results. Amex has recently created a "rewards abuse team" to go after those who (in their view) have been repeatedly taking unfair advantage of them. After being docile for so long, Amex has apparently decided they are not going to be played for suckers anymore. All the banks seem to have finally been stirred to action (to varying degrees). 2016 has been a nasty year.

I am reminded of the film, Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid (which, by coincidence, I watched again a few days ago), specifically the bit about Mister E. H. Harriman of the Union Pacific Railroad, who eventually got tired of having his banks and trains robbed repeatedly and brazenly, and then went to great lengths to put a stop to it, despite all the costs and trouble that would take. Rich corporations will tolerate a bit of abuse by a small group of ankle-biters, but once the abuse becomes so widespread and well-known it has created the basis for careers (bloggers, miles & points brokers) they get tired of being mocked openly and they react.

The game has changed an awful lot in the past 12 months. The days of quick, easy, massive MS are over. The sleeping giants have awakened. Right now is definitely not a great time to be trying to knock out a large minimum spend on multiple Amex cards via MS. Good luck.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I wonder how Blackhawk/Metabank/the FB merchant split eating the cost of the 5% back?
The merchants pay the FB. Paying out $25 for a customer who will come back and buy merchandise is a small cost of business.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Chelski
Few months?? How about a flew days. The bigger problem is that CV,S will drop off of the FB soon. At least the remaining FBs I have will take a couple weeks to liquidate via VCS and 2 licenses.
Wait when is CeeVeeS dropping off?

I can't turn them as fast as some. I've got more inventory than I feel comfortable with right now, feeling like a python digesting a gazelle. Just wishing this kind of deal could repeat during the dry season, so take it for the lament of feast/famine.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 8:59 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Wait when is CeeVeeS dropping off?

I can't turn them as fast as some. I've got more inventory than I feel comfortable with right now, feeling like a python digesting a gazelle. Just wishing this kind of deal could repeat during the dry season, so take it for the lament of feast/famine.
Pretty sure they haven't announced it or anything, this is just Chelski's speculation, right? I am inclined to agree though..
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:03 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
The mere mention of speculations of negative outcomes only hurts. It's almost like some people want things to happen enough they're willing to prophecy them into existence. People really don't know the eyes on here. Are ya'll trying to make suggestions to them? Maybe take that stuff private please or refrain negative public speculation. Just a friendly suggestion.

Last edited by Churnman; Dec 12, 2016 at 11:11 am
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
If they get rid of cvs, there's still wally mos
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
If they get rid of cvs, there's still wally mos
CVS route was better, made any CC like a 5% card.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
CVS route was better, made any CC like a 5% card.
That is understood. WM was mentioned by hiima as a last resort liquidation method if that drug store backed out of program.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
What's the typical timeframe for the 5% credit to appear? I used one card on the evening of the 6th, and the $25 credit posted on the 7th. I used that card again on the 8th (to pay the fees for buying 4 VGCs) and the 99¢ credit posted the same day. Yet the four cards I used during the same transaction have zero balances. And all of the other cards I've used at CVS (13 thus far) have had no promotional credits. So I'm wondering if the rest of the cards were somehow activated in a way that they don't earn the 5%. It bears mentioning that the only card that earned the 5% was purchased at a different Simon Center from the rest. If the rest of the cards are going to operate the same way, I sure don't want to be using them at CVS.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by Churnman
The mere mention of speculations of negative outcomes only hurts. It's almost like some people want things to happen enough they're willing to prophecy them into existence. People really don't know the eyes on here. Are ya'll trying to make suggestions to them? Maybe take that stuff private please or refrain negative public speculation. Just a friendly suggestion.
I think my thoughts are if too many people get involved, not understanding that things can change and liquidation routes can dry up, they can get burned real bad. Trying to prevent that from happening, but I do get what you're saying.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:28 pm

something is wrong this time. after 48 hrs still no cash back. that's unusual.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by cashcyclone
something is wrong this time. after 48 hrs still no cash back. that's unusual.
So it's not just me, then?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Carl
So it's not just me, then?
No it's not. My CVS purchase from 12/9 still isn't showing up either. It was 1 swipe of $495, and I ran it as CREDIT. Hoping the 48 hours is maybe "business" hours, and has something to do with the weekend...but who knows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.