Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2016, 7:50 am

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
To the young college aged male who was buying yesterday at a certain mall and opening all 18 cards right there at the office while we and others were watching in awe, do you not realize how you look to the office staff? There were people waiting in a small space. I guess he wanted to make sure the cards were really in the packages? BTW, he does this each time he buys.

Last edited by Churnman; Dec 11, 2016 at 7:57 am
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by Churnman
To the young college aged male who was buying yesterday at a certain mall and opening all 18 cards right there at the office while we and others were watching in awe, do you not realize how you look to the office staff? There were people waiting in a small space. I guess he wanted to make sure the cards were really in the packages? BTW, he does this each time he buys.
That's bizarre. The only I time I had a motivation to open the packaged cards right away (or at least pull the tabs off to expose the barcode) was when the cashier had trouble getting some package mag strips to scan and would skip, creating multiple card piles where I could only hope I wasn't accidentally getting an unactivated card. Then I'd pull the tabs off every one to make sure the last 4 of the barcodes all matched up with the receipt. But I'd leave the desk first and do it in the parking lot lol.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Just looked at the website for Simon Rewards and in the FAQ it says my Simon doesn't participate. Got me excited about finding some secret parking
Yeah, I presumed they'd roll it out to all (or at least more) locations after its launch, but it doesn't look like it. The reserved parking made it easy to go to the busiest mall in the region and park right at the door on Black Friday (to buy GCs, of course!).
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
My mall allowed me to pay with up to 6 GCs for my usual transaction, so you don't need to pay a separate 3.95 fee for this. Just wrap them into one of the $500s you were already buying.
My mall didn't allow it. Maybe the CSR didn't know what she was doing, but combining the cards was a very painful and slow process, where she had to enter specific amounts for each card, me sign it every time, then sing again the whole thing, etc.... and then charge me on top of that. That's why I decided not to do that again and look for other options to get rid of the change.

Thanks to Carl and others for the suggestions about the grocery stores, I'll try that. "Auto-drain" is the word I was looking for : )
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by DjRocket
My mall didn't allow it. Maybe the CSR didn't know what she was doing, but combining the cards was a very painful and slow process, where she had to enter specific amounts for each card, me sign it every time, then sing again the whole thing, etc.... and then charge me on top of that. That's why I decided not to do that again and look for other options to get rid of the change.

Thanks to Carl and others for the suggestions about the grocery stores, I'll try that. "Auto-drain" is the word I was looking for : )
It's also my understanding that CVS allows seven swipes per transaction, so that could be a good way to get some of the $25 balances lowered to $1.25. You may have already done that.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Carl
It's also my understanding that CVS allows seven swipes per transaction, so that could be a good way to get some of the $25 balances lowered to $1.25. You may have already done that.
My CVSs don't allow split tender at all. YMMV
Old Dec 11, 2016, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Carl
Yeah, I presumed they'd roll it out to all (or at least more) locations after its launch, but it doesn't look like it. The reserved parking made it easy to go to the busiest mall in the region and park right at the door on Black Friday (to buy GCs, of course!).
Oh well, I was able to get in and out this morning. Glad the mall opened at 10. Didn't look like many of the stores were even open yet my one of my regular guys was working the GC kiosk along with a new guy.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:38 pm

Hello everyone. I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm not exactly new to MS but I've taken somewhat of a hiatus. I used to be really big into the T-mobile/reloadit game... and to a lesser degree the Vanillla Visa/Redbird game. Both of those have been shut down for a while now. I'm looking for the next best option. I recently signed up for 3 new AMEX cards and only want to meet the minimum spend to get the sign of bonuses. 1] 5,000
2] 2,000
3] 1,000

i also have a $25 credit after spending $500 on my Marvel Mastercard

I'm looking for an easy and effective method of spending less than $10,000 total and not having to spend too much in fees. Anyone have any ideas?
does anyone have a link to the simon gift card FAQ? i think i'm going to take a trip and spend it all on simon gift cards (and i guess try to get money orders from walmart later)
Old Dec 11, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by phrostbyte
Hello everyone. I was wondering if you could give me some advice. I'm not exactly new to MS but I've taken somewhat of a hiatus. I used to be really big into the T-mobile/reloadit game... and to a lesser degree the Vanillla Visa/Redbird game. Both of those have been shut down for a while now. I'm looking for the next best option. I recently signed up for 3 new AMEX cards and only want to meet the minimum spend to get the sign of bonuses. 1] 5,000
2] 2,000
3] 1,000

i also have a $25 credit after spending $500 on my Marvel Mastercard

I'm looking for an easy and effective method of spending less than $10,000 total and not having to spend too much in fees. Anyone have any ideas?
can someone link me to the simon gift card FAQ? apparently you can buy as many 5% simon gift cards with no fee, ending today?
I'd be really careful MSing on AmEx right now, just in case..
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by financialhippie
I'd be really careful MSing on AmEx right now, just in case..
can you elaborate that? will they close my cards? ban me permanently? i only plan on meeting minimum spends, not going crazy with it
Old Dec 11, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
can you elaborate that? will they close my cards? ban me permanently? i only plan on meeting minimum spends, not going crazy with it
There are many recent reports of them clawing back the signup bonus on some cards if the minimum spend was met by MSing. I haven't seen reports of people being banned, but maybe that is the next step.

Last edited by ChrisFlyer66; Dec 11, 2016 at 4:25 pm
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:35 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Nobody knows how they pluck particular people out.

I'd stay away from Staples or other merchants that report Level 3 data about each item purchased. I'd feel safe purchasing GC in non-obvious amounts from anyone else. At least buy a pack of gum so it's not dead on the amount of VGC+fee.

All anecdotes I've seen were bonus clawbacks, not cancellation/ban.

Good luck.

FYI just went by my Simon Mall outlet location. Despite the parking lot being full of cars, there was nobody in the office. Plenty of 5B cards still in stock, picked up some and left. Oh how I wish this no-fee sale would come back in a few months...,.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Nobody knows how they pluck particular people out.

I'd stay away from Staples or other merchants that report Level 3 data about each item purchased. I'd feel safe purchasing GC in non-obvious amounts from anyone else. At least buy a pack of gum so it's not dead on the amount of VGC+fee.

All anecdotes I've seen were bonus clawbacks, not cancellation/ban.

Good luck.

FYI just went by my Simon Mall outlet location. Despite the parking lot being full of cars, there was nobody in the office. Plenty of 5B cards still in stock, picked up some and left. Oh how I wish this no-fee sale would come back in a few months...,.
Few months?? How about a flew days. The bigger problem is that CV,S will drop off of the FB soon. At least the remaining FBs I have will take a couple weeks to liquidate via VCS and 2 licenses.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
Few months?? How about a flew days. The bigger problem is that CV,S will drop off of the FB soon. At least the remaining FBs I have will take a couple weeks to liquidate via VCS and 2 licenses.
Yup, there's no way CVS stays on that list much longer. Such an easy fix for them, no doubt that is coming soon. Still, fee free cards are amazing enough so let's hope they do it every once in a while.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I wonder how Blackhawk/Metabank/the FB merchant split eating the cost of the 5% back?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.