Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2016, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by VWTim
That right there is amazing customer service. Make sure to keep them happy, and I'm sure they'll keep you stocked in VGC's.
Yeah at first when I heard the voice mail, I thought it was horrible news (I've been banned or something like that). Was glad that wasn't the case

I've been very impressed with all of them (probably dealt with 5 reps or so?), always seem to be happy to help... Although there's never been a line when I've gone, so I'm sure that helps.

I actually wish they DID get commission or something so I could help them out that way.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:14 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Free bottles of water, of course.

Originally Posted by CWAL
Well, we certainly don't go there for wheelchair rental or directions to the Apple store, what else could we possibly want?
Old Aug 31, 2016, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Free bottles of water, of course.
Ah, yes, I'd forgotten that one, my go-to mall doesn't usually offer...
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:29 am

Programs: Several dozen
ABQ

Heading out to MS in The Land of Enchantment. Anyone know if the Simons in ABQ sell GCs? Doesn't look like it from the mall maps, but you never can tell.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 11:11 pm

is it worth it to apply to get the 1k cards?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:00 am

Greetings, I've been curious for a while about Simon GC's, but was exploring other venues. I finally have found a Simon Mall in the area and will go on a try-out this weekend. A lot of useful tips here in this thread, thanks very much for the insights! Still not sure I completely understand the value of Simon though when compared to other MS venues, like buying GCs from giftcards.com through a portal. It can't be cost, because thanks to cashback portals, the cost is comparable to Simon GCs, perhaps even less. It must be the volume then? So if I'm not doing MS more than $5k a day, are there any practical advantages to driving to Simon Malls?

Also, so I understand the net value here (vs. costs of doing the "business"), it seems like this is what you net in a day by purchasing $10k Simon GCs on a 2% cashback CC, and cashing them out in WM's at a cost $0.7 per $1k MO: $10k * 0.02% - 20 * $3.95 - 10 * $0.7 = $114 in a day. Did I get this right?

EDIT: Clearly I'm ignoring the incidental and opportunity costs, which are highly variable among individuals. This is just straight cash net.

Last edited by DjRocket; Sep 2, 2016 at 1:21 am
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DjRocket
Also, so I understand the net value here (vs. costs of doing the "business"), it seems like this is what you net in a day by purchasing $10k Simon GCs on a 2% cashback CC, and cashing them out in WM's at a cost $0.7 per $1k MO: $10k * 0.02% - 20 * $3.95 - 10 * $0.7 = $114 in a day. Did I get this right?
HOw are you going to cash out these MO?
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Deposit into different checking acct., slowly of course, as some nice folks recommended here : ) Not sure there's a better option at this time.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL

You got the math right, but if it were only that simple to get MO. More and More, WM is getting stricter with MO. I would not do all the hassle for $114 cash profit. I only do it for target retention spend offer, bonuses and sign up spend were the benefits far exceed the $114. It was easier in the past with multiple Serves/BB and Kates.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
... I would not do all the hassle for $114 cash profit. I only do it for target retention spend offer, bonuses and sign up spend were the benefits far exceed the $114....
Well that's exactly what motivated my question. Unless you're banned from the online gift card stores and you need to meet minimum spend requirements, I want to see if there's anything more than $114 a day to justify that much hassle.

I know what you're saying about WMs. Two of them in my area already stopped selling MO's for GCs. Since there was nothing to lose at that point, I spoke with the manager and explained exactly what I was doing, and that the activity is totally legal, and he shouldn't have any problem with that. While he seemed understanding, he basically said he can't participate in that type of activity because it goes against the intended use of gift cards and MOs. He did offer to speak to the regional manager who handles those types of matters, but I declined since that could bring about unintended consequences for other WMs : )
Old Sep 3, 2016, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
deposits have never been a problem for me. Been doing at least 5 figures every week in single banks.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
Well that's exactly what motivated my question. Unless you're banned from the online gift card stores and you need to meet minimum spend requirements, I want to see if there's anything more than $114 a day to justify that much hassle.

I know what you're saying about WMs. Two of them in my area already stopped selling MO's for GCs. Since there was nothing to lose at that point, I spoke with the manager and explained exactly what I was doing, and that the activity is totally legal, and he shouldn't have any problem with that. While he seemed understanding, he basically said he can't participate in that type of activity because it goes against the intended use of gift cards and MOs. He did offer to speak to the regional manager who handles those types of matters, but I declined since that could bring about unintended consequences for other WMs : )
I don't believe any WM would openly accept GCs, so I can't see value in asking them to. WMs in my area don't openly accept them either, but I buy MOs there fine. Just don't show them the GCs.

As for speaking to managers, it's probably better just to keep quiet, so as not to encourage implementation of (or at least not to encourage expedited implementation of) automated anti-GC countermeasures. Instead, learn to operate within the current environment, as that's what we have.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Let's please keep the WM discussion for the appropriate WM thread.

tcook052
MS forum moderator
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:17 pm
Suspended

Sounds nice on paper, but it will more likely result in 2 MOs per WM = at a min.Then you will get hit with long lines at the CS/MC or after waiting and its your turn the ,Sorry the printer is broken , no MOS today. To unload $10k Id say I would need to hit 8 WMs as many wont let you get a 2nd if you didnt do it all as 1 transaction, and if you tell them you want 2 then you beter pray each swipe goes thru otherwise its KOed. Then when they hear $2k they arent so happy to do it and in many cases want the OK from the mgr who will ask to see the cards youre using or even take it and want to swipe it themselves. Net result hours to unload $10k and at least a tank of gas

Net result is your net will be <$100 and who knows the # of hours needed so you might avg $15 an hour.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Deposit into different checking acct., slowly of course, as some nice folks recommended here : ) Not sure there's a better option at this time.
I would play with MO's, they are a hassle, but we all have our limits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.