Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2015, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
American Express® is discontinuing the American Express for Target Prepaid Card program on March 21, 2016.

***Attention*** If you are new to the forum and thinking about AFT loads to accomodate your bonus or rewards spend, please be advised this method has taken a major hit effective first week of May, 2015, as mentioned in latter posts on this thread.****

This thread is a continuation of http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...ities-208.html

please be aware the Target breach cards are currently on the black market, as always be aware of activity on all accounts

Purchase in store. Each store seems to have just one lane that has them on display (unlike the AMEX GC which are at most lanes). Package is larger than other gift cards, silver and red.

Not available in all states. Search here for possible locations

Note: Unlike AMEX's restriction on BB/Serve/Redbird where one person can only hold one of those, you can have an AFT (2, actually) while holding a BB, Serve, or Redbird

Need DL to purchase.
Max 1 purchase per ss# per day--this means one person can actually have 2 AFT cards, which is why there is a $5000 total limit for 2 cards (see below).
Max initial load $500 + $3 load fee.

May reload temp card as soon as verification of identity is complete, may take 48 hours. You can use an ATM with a temp card as soon as you're able to view your temp card PIN online. If you're unable to view your PIN online, you won't be able to use an ATM until you have the permanent card, which takes about two weeks.

Many stores now limit reloading to the service desk, and no longer at cashiers. The card must be swiped at a cash terminal to reload, not scanned! Ask cashiers to try if they don't seem to recognize the card. Ask if loading at service desk is a policy, it might just be a knee-jerk response from cashiers that don't know about the card. I have been told that a few times, "You need to go to the Service Desk," it has never been true. Say please and thank you.

Limits & Fees
Codes as purchase on all cards.
Load fee $3
Max $1000 per card in 24 hour period.
Max $5000 total for both cards per 28 day rolling period.
May load any card *until* balance is $2500 for 28 day period (not *up to*)

System will allow a $1000 load on a card with a $2000 balance so long as you are under $5000 for all cards over 28 day period. See below for optimal load sequence, $15/$5k a month after 1st month and $15k in 65 days for new cards.

Unload via ATM
Max $400/card/day (resets 12am PST)
First ATM w/d per month per card is free, based on 1st of the month (not rolling)+ any ATM owner fee.
Additional ATM w/d fee $3 + ATM fee
Note that unlike Amex RB/BB, AFT is NOT in AllPoint network, thus NO surcharge-free ATM generally.

When asked 'from account' choose 'checking.'

Possibly helpful link (Surcharge Free ATMs):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...-fee-atms.html

Unload by purchases
No fee. No cash back.

Additional information

Optimal load pattern for least number of $3 fees after first $500 load is $3k/$2k.
New accounts can load $15k in 65 days. 4 trips in a week for new cards, 3 in a week once a month after that.

Load always means load $1000. 28 day load total in parenthesis. 'Dropped' means that load is past the 28 day mark.

Day 1: Purchase card #1, load $500
Day 3: Purchase card #2, load $500; Load card #1 ($1500)
Day 5: load card #1 ($2500); load card #2 ($1500)
Day 7: load card #2 ($2500)
*********************************wait************
Day 29: ($2000)($2500) day 1 dropped
Day 31: ($1000)($2000) day 3 dropped
Day 32: load card #1 ($2000) ; load card #2 ($3000)
Day 33: ($1000)($2000) day 5 dropped
Day 34: load card #1 ($2000); load card #2 ($3000)
Day 35: ($2000) ($2000) day 7 dropped
Day 36: load card #1 ($3000), ($2000)
*********************************wait************
Day 61: load both cards, day 32 dropped
Day 63: load both cards
Day 65: load one card.

Repeat Loads waiting 29 days between loads, if you loaded both cards 29 days ago load both now, if you loaded one card, load one now. So next load date is 61+29= Day 90

FAQ

Q: Can I load with Visa/MC/Amex Gift Cards?
A: Visa and MC Gift cards with a PIN can be used. Amex gift cards no longer work.

Q: How about Target gift cards?
A: The register prompts not to allow Target gift cards. They may not be hard coded, though.

Q: Will I get 5% off if I load with a Target Red card?
A: No. Sorry, I wish.

Q: Can I load multiple cards in one transaction?
A: No. This died February 4, 2015 or shortly before.

Q:Is there a max number of payment swipes?
A: Yes. Maximum swipes for split payments is 7, though other users have reported being able to swipe at least 10 gift cards for payment without problems.

Q: What are the lowest possible fees with a fee-free ATM available?
A: For 2 cards, each loaded with $2.5K each over 2 months ($10K in total), you would pay $30 in loading fees (10 load fees of $3 each) and $63 in ATM fees (25 total withdrawals, with 1 free withdrawal per card each month, resulting in 21 ATM fees of $3 each).

Q: Where is my permanent card? I did not receive my permanent card. How do I receive my permanent card?
A: You do not need to register the temporary card online after purchase or create the online account to receive your permanent card. You should have received your permanent card within 7 days. Your temporary card will stop working after 30 days.

If you have not received your card, your application may have been declined. The personal information you registered may be incorrect, or Amex could not verify your identity.

---

Official fund loading from T&C

You may load funds to your Cards using your Funding Source until the Available Funds on any Card purchased by you equals $2,500 and on all card purchased by you equals $5,000... Not more than $1,000 may be loaded to any Card purchased by you in a 24 hour period using your Funding Source, not more than $5,000 may be loaded to all Cards purchased by you in any 28-day period using your Funding Source.

IMPORTANT MESSAGE IF YOU LOADED YOUR PREPAID CARD AT TARGET DURING THE CHRISTMAS SECURITY BREACH: It is important to have AMEX reissue your cards (just phone the number on the card and ask for a new card). Thieves have the numbers and pins and can drain your account at any time. AMEX does not appear to be using software to block suspicious activity, so they can drain it all. If you loaded your prepaid card at Target between November 27 and December 15, 2013, you are at significant risk of having your money stolen (several reported cases in April and May).
Print Wikipost

AmEx for Target (2015)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2015, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Someone has directly added your question to the wiki. However if there was a network ATM than it would have been listed there. There is not one. Thus the reason for the link to Surcharge free atms.
Well a simple answer of the fact that AFT is not connected with any Network would have been much better than the smart ars answer "read the wiki" It's not in the wiki and hence the question!
Old May 4, 2015, 9:40 am

I've just found out about this card. The Prepaid REDcard has been stealing all of the attention and I assumed all the other Target cards weren't worth the time.

Is there any reason at all for me to not get this card if I'm already doing loads at Target? From reading the Wiki, it seems like a very solid option. The $3 fee is negligible.

Is the primary drawback of this card the difficulty of liquidation? There doesn't seem to be a bill-pay feature and withdrawal is limited to ATMs, correct?
Old May 4, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by Light
Is there any reason at all for me to not get this card if I'm already doing loads at Target? From reading the Wiki, it seems like a very solid option. The $3 fee is negligible.
Re-read the WIKI, a single fee of $3 per load is not the only fee with which you'll be contending. There are fee(s) involved in unloading the card too (how much depends on whether you have access to a fee-free ATM). For many of us, the optimal load/unload strategy involves ~1.2+% of fees.
Old May 4, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: AA Plat, VA Silver, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JunkDiver
Anyone else in the Chicago area having trouble with reloads? Registers just say that the transaction cannot be completed.
on Friday I was told they were no longer able to load AFT in the entire greater Charlotte, NC area (I've loaded many times at this same Target in the past). when they swipe my AFT card the system doesn't even give them a load option...only to look up a receipt. called AFT and CSR said that they should be able to load. had CSR speak to Target Manager and got nowhere after wasting at least 30 minutes. called AFT after leaving store and asked to speak to a manager who then got the tech team involved. their final answer was that they were not aware of Target making any such changes and the guy was going to reach out to AFT's Target representative but he said he suspects Target may point the finger back at AFT. ...?! Amex and Target have major communication issues and it resulted in wasting 2 hours of my time, a lot of frustration and left with $5k of Amex GCs that need unloading. went to Charleston, SC over the weekend and loaded both AFT cards just fine. still have $3k of GCs to unload and nervous that i won't be able to do so until going out of town again. anyone experiencing this same issue of not being able to load?
Old May 4, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
Originally Posted by jrseattle
I was just charged $2.25 at the ATM in the local Costco; it used to be $1.25. Is that just the store here in Woodinville or everywhere?
What are the alternatives to get money out?
I just used the Costco atm in AUS and was charged $2.25 ... as I ran the last of 3 cards. I wonder how long it has been at the higher rate as I usually just blast past all the screens as fast as possible. Now that I have Redcards I plan to drain the AFT into them and be done with AFT.
Old May 4, 2015, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by TexasYankee
I just used the Costco atm in AUS and was charged $2.25 ... as I ran the last of 3 cards. I wonder how long it has been at the higher rate as I usually just blast past all the screens as fast as possible. Now that I have Redcards I plan to drain the AFT into them and be done with AFT.
Did you select withdraw form credit or checking?
Old May 4, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA is all for now.
Originally Posted by wbruce
on Friday I was told they were no longer able to load AFT in the entire greater Charlotte, NC area (I've loaded many times at this same Target in the past). when they swipe my AFT card the system doesn't even give them a load option...only to look up a receipt. called AFT and CSR said that they should be able to load. had CSR speak to Target Manager and got nowhere after wasting at least 30 minutes. called AFT after leaving store and asked to speak to a manager who then got the tech team involved. their final answer was that they were not aware of Target making any such changes and the guy was going to reach out to AFT's Target representative but he said he suspects Target may point the finger back at AFT. ...?! Amex and Target have major communication issues and it resulted in wasting 2 hours of my time, a lot of frustration and left with $5k of Amex GCs that need unloading. went to Charleston, SC over the weekend and loaded both AFT cards just fine. still have $3k of GCs to unload and nervous that i won't be able to do so until going out of town again. anyone experiencing this same issue of not being able to load?
I only know that Target and AMEX have 0 communication over this product. I recently had an issue where I simultaneously misplaced my card and forgot my online password. I had also moved, and had not changed my address on their website. When I called to replace the card, they told me they could only send it to my old address. I had to go online to update my address. I couldn't go online, because the only way to reset the password requires you to provide the card number which I didn't have because I'd lost the card. They told me I had to fax in information, which is fine, but even after 6 attempts and hours and hours and hours on the phone with first reps and eventually supervisors they were still unable to locate any of the faxes I had sent. I tried for 3 weeks, and finally just asked if it would be easier to close this card and get a new one as I only had $1 in the account. They told me no problem, i can just go to target and get one.

So I go to target. They no longer carry AFT. I go to another target. They no longer carry AFT. I go to a third target, they no longer carry AFT. I call back AMEX, they give me the addresses of three targets in my area that do carry AFT. I go there, none of them carries AFT. No targets in my area have carried AFT for over a year, but according to AMEX they're in stock right now. In fact, when I called them back and told them this they continued to insist that AFT was readily available at most of my local targets. Just, forget it, AMEX and Target clearly operate on different planets.
Old May 4, 2015, 12:35 pm

If someone can find a store that has an AFT in stock they can get the DPCI, and you can use that to check local stores for inventory.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Re-read the WIKI, a single fee of $3 per load is not the only fee with which you'll be contending. There are fee(s) involved in unloading the card too (how much depends on whether you have access to a fee-free ATM). For many of us, the optimal load/unload strategy involves ~1.2+% of fees.
That's what I figured was the primary drawback -- liquidation. That amount of fees isn't that bad for when I need to meet minimum spends. I'll try this method out.

Thank you.
Old May 4, 2015, 7:33 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Superorb
Costco ATM: Did you select withdraw form credit or checking?
OK, I need some enlightenment. Is there a difference? I've been pressing the credit card button. Is there a better way?
Old May 4, 2015, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
OK, I need some enlightenment. Is there a difference? I've been pressing the credit card button. Is there a better way?
I don't think it matters but I always select the "Checking" option with no issues. I guess I should try the Credit Card option.

Last edited by ericdabbs; May 4, 2015 at 8:36 pm
Old May 4, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
Originally Posted by Superorb
Did you select withdraw form credit or checking?
I have always used the credit card button with no problems for years ...
Old May 4, 2015, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Someone above mentioned that their Costco charged $1 less if you selected checking instead of credit.
Old May 5, 2015, 8:13 am

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by wbruce
Yep, precisely as you explain. I used to load at the Midtown (CLT) Target fine, and then in February their systems didn't allow it anymore. I've tried several other Targets in the area - University, North Lake, South Blvd, Rivergate. All of them said they've never had the functionality to load, and they get the same system error that Midtown gets nowadays. I was successful in Gastonia in Feb/Mar, but I've heard mixed reports of cashier blockage there. Of course their systems might be blocking now as well. Best bet is to load when out of state as this is an NC issue. Rock Hill works, Spartanburg works. I'm not holding my breath that Target is going to expend effort to fix this issue. And it also affects Redbird - loads don't work for that product either.

Also, FYI, Arkansas has the same issue. Not sure why.
Old May 5, 2015, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by dukerau
Yep, precisely as you explain. I used to load at the Midtown (CLT) Target fine, and then in February their systems didn't allow it anymore. I've tried several other Targets in the area - University, North Lake, South Blvd, Rivergate. All of them said they've never had the functionality to load, and they get the same system error that Midtown gets nowadays. I was successful in Gastonia in Feb/Mar, but I've heard mixed reports of cashier blockage there. Of course their systems might be blocking now as well. Best bet is to load when out of state as this is an NC issue. Rock Hill works, Spartanburg works. I'm not holding my breath that Target is going to expend effort to fix this issue. And it also affects Redbird - loads don't work for that product either.

Also, FYI, Arkansas has the same issue. Not sure why.
Redbirds website says not available in Arkansas or North Carolina for reloads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.