FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Serve - Another Paypal/Amazon payments (2015) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1644834-serve-another-paypal-amazon-payments-2015-a.html)

Mamibear May 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 24867803)
Thanks so much for your help!

When loading at FD, I know $500 per day is the max, but could I load 2 X $200 at the same store?

And is the $500 max per store/day, or per Serve card/day? I have multiple Serve cards that I could load if the limit is per card/day.

after reading all the horror stories of failed loading of VGC at FD, I didn't venture trying it. I'm fortunate to have friendly WMs with Kate and all cashiers knowledgeable in loading different prepaid cards, not just BB/Serve.

TBH, I wouldn't recommend loading at FD, but if that remains your only option, try it and see. hopefully, Murphy doesn't keep latching at your back.

Preacher7 May 25, 2015 5:52 pm

Yeah, i've never loaded there either b/c of the horror stories. B/c my WM has stopped under $50 Vanilla loads as of yesterday, I'm forced into this. Will hope for the best...

Phantom707 May 25, 2015 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 24867803)
Thanks so much for your help!

When loading at FD, I know $500 per day is the max, but could I load 2 X $200 at the same store?

And is the $500 max per store/day, or per Serve card/day? I have multiple Serve cards that I could load if the limit is per card/day.

It's per day for ALL customers. If someone else has loaded their prepaid card (regardless of if it's Serve our not), you're out of luck.

Despite people having horror stories, I've had a decent time. It's so much easier unloading a Vanilla Visa there than at Walmart. I tried doing 49.99 loads, and it would not go through at Kate. The most I could do was 49.50 for some reason. I didn't try higher than that, though.

Preacher7 May 25, 2015 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 24868127)
It's per day for ALL customers. If someone else has loaded their prepaid card (regardless of if it's Serve our not), you're out of luck.

Despite people having horror stories, I've had a decent time. It's so much easier unloading a Vanilla Visa there than at Walmart. I tried doing 49.99 loads, and it would not go through at Kate. The most I could do was 49.50 for some reason. I didn't try higher than that, though.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll try $49 loads.

protagonist May 26, 2015 5:23 am

My $200 Serve loads via internet by Starwood Amex business card are not being categorized as purchases. They are being categorized as "business services- internet services".

Does that mean they will not count towards promotional spending requirements?

Preacher7 May 26, 2015 3:31 pm

Amazingly, my first ever load at FD worked. It was easy, seamless. Only 14 X $200 Vanillas left to go...then I'm done with beans forever!

Question, for those Family Dollar experts: Assuming I am the first person to load at the store that day, can I make back to back $200 loads at the same store? And since I have multiple Serve cards, and will be going to multiple stores, are the load limits for each Serve card the same for loads at FD as they are at WM, i.e. $2500/day per card?

In other words, is the only additional limit using Family Dollar the $500/day/store limit? Again, thanks for your help with this. I should be able to polish off all the cards if all goes well, and if there are no additional limits I'm not aware of!

BTW, tried a $40 load at Kate today and she spit it right back at me. ALL bean loads are now dead at my WMs, sometime b/w Saturday night and Sunday morning...

kkwong5 May 27, 2015 7:29 am

Originally Posted by MikailSJ (Post 24859129)
Are the points pending? Sometimes the points don't post immediately (like my cards)

Thanks. Looks like they are pending from April. I had to navigate to a different summary page to find the pending points. The next billing cycle for may has already closed so not sure why they points haven't moved from pending to posted since its been 1.25 months.

dolttlob May 27, 2015 8:38 am

I'm having the same issue. Did you try again and is it working now?

Originally Posted by liw5215 (Post 24835018)
Switched from Redbird to Serve, tried to add my paypal business debit card as the online funding source, and got error message. so Paypal is no longer allowed in Serve as online debit funding source? Thanks

Originally Posted by liw5215 (Post 24835461)
It shows as :

BIN/IIN number 558158
Brand MASTERCARD
Country Code (ISO3166-1) US
Country United States
Bank JPMORGAN CHASE BANK, N.A.
Card Type CREDIT

Card type as Credit? Weird

MauiKauaiOahu May 27, 2015 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Preacher7 (Post 24872636)
Question, for those Family Dollar experts: Assuming I am the first person to load at the store that day, can I make back to back $200 loads at the same store? And since I have multiple Serve cards, and will be going to multiple stores, are the load limits for each Serve card the same for loads at FD as they are at WM, i.e. $2500/day per card?

In other words, is the only additional limit using Family Dollar the $500/day/store limit?

I can add some information.

I have gone to 2 Family Dollars the same day and done $500 loads at both stores.

I only have 1 serve card, so I have not tried back to back loads at the same store. My wife still has a bluebird card.

Now on to the rumor:
During a load at a Family Dollar, the cashier and manager started chatting about "the other guy" who comes in and loads Serve cards. The manager mentioned "the other guy" would load funny amounts (like $495) to "his" card, and then load his wife's card as well.

I am not sure if these loads were the same trip or not.
Since I don't have 2 Serve cards, I have just done single loads to 1 card.

If you are willing to try $200 loads back to back on 3+ cards, you could give us a new piece of info about exceeding the $500 limit.

If the last $200 load fails, don't forget to stay there and re-swipe your debit cards to get the $$ back on it.

liw5215 May 27, 2015 9:42 am

deleted

liw5215 May 27, 2015 9:43 am

Still not working as last Friday

Brewer20 May 27, 2015 10:03 am

Welcome to FlyerTalk, dolttlob! :D

I was able to successfully add my PPBDC to Serve. As expected I had to upload images of my ID and card.

DaVanillaGorilla May 27, 2015 10:12 am

Has anybody else tried to register a FNBO 1.5% (Graphite?) AMEX? I picked one up since I already had a checking account with them and there's a branch across from work. It's only a couple days old, but I've used it for other things. My serve is also only a couple weeks old, if that matters.

Anyway, I've been trying to add it to my Serve account and get the 1.5% back on $1k a month. The website always gives me an "Unexpected Error Occurred" message. I added the Hilton Surpass successfully and then deleted it and tried again. I called in last night and the customer service rep, after talking to technical support, said that since it isn't actually from AMEX that it can't be added. I called back this morning, and when a second rep tried to add it manually, it gave an "Incorrect Security Code" error. She transferred me to AMEX to confirm, but since they didn't issue the card, I bailed.

Anybody experienced something like this before? Should I call the security number and send a scan somehow?

If I can't add it, it's not the end of the world. It's only $15 a month I'm losing, and I'll probably add the Surpass back on to help towards the $40k platinum spend. I just want to warn anybody else thinking of getting the card if it continues to be a problem.

dolttlob May 27, 2015 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Brewer20 (Post 24876379)
Welcome to FlyerTalk, dolttlob! :D

I was able to successfully add my PPBDC to Serve. As expected I had to upload images of my ID and card.

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I had uploaded images of my ID and card, but it can probably take a couple of months. No biggie though, I guess I can wait. =)

Brewer20 May 27, 2015 10:40 am

Originally Posted by dolttlob (Post 24876536)
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I had uploaded images of my ID and card, but it can probably take a couple of months. No biggie though, I guess I can wait. =)

Once you've uploaded the images, call the number in the email. They should be able to process it while you are on the phone.

medellinfein May 27, 2015 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by mh1361 (Post 24610929)
Thanks. Tried again and it worked. Since Barclays is idiotic with their address listings if you live in an apartment, I just wrote APT for my address on Serve and it took it. Nice try Serve CSR!

You, my friend, are a genius! :)

daedge May 27, 2015 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by DaVanillaGorilla (Post 24876432)
Has anybody else tried to register a FNBO 1.5% (Graphite?) AMEX? I picked one up since I already had a checking account with them and there's a branch across from work. It's only a couple days old, but I've used it for other things. My serve is also only a couple weeks old, if that matters.

Anyway, I've been trying to add it to my Serve account and get the 1.5% back on $1k a month. The website always gives me an "Unexpected Error Occurred" message. I added the Hilton Surpass successfully and then deleted it and tried again. I called in last night and the customer service rep, after talking to technical support, said that since it isn't actually from AMEX that it can't be added. I called back this morning, and when a second rep tried to add it manually, it gave an "Incorrect Security Code" error. She transferred me to AMEX to confirm, but since they didn't issue the card, I bailed.

Anybody experienced something like this before? Should I call the security number and send a scan somehow?

If I can't add it, it's not the end of the world. It's only $15 a month I'm losing, and I'll probably add the Surpass back on to help towards the $40k platinum spend. I just want to warn anybody else thinking of getting the card if it continues to be a problem.

I had the same issue with a FNBO Savings Star AMEX. I called Serve tech support but got nowhere. They gave me several lame excuses for it not working. First they said the issuer was declining the card. So I called the FNBO folks, and they said everything was fine on their end. They could see a bunch of $1 authorizations each time I had tried to add it and they were all approved. So, I called Serve back and then they said I was typing in the wrong 4 digit security code. They were wrong again. I was never able to get it resolved. I also tried a Macy's Amex and had the same error. Finally, I gave up. I'm sure the issue is on Serve's side, but no one there is able to help.

DaVanillaGorilla May 28, 2015 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by daedge (Post 24879767)
I had the same issue with a FNBO Savings Star AMEX. I called Serve tech support but got nowhere. They gave me several lame excuses for it not working. First they said the issuer was declining the card. So I called the FNBO folks, and they said everything was fine on their end. They could see a bunch of $1 authorizations each time I had tried to add it and they were all approved. So, I called Serve back and then they said I was typing in the wrong 4 digit security code. They were wrong again. I was never able to get it resolved. I also tried a Macy's Amex and had the same error. Finally, I gave up. I'm sure the issue is on Serve's side, but no one there is able to help.

Thanks for the confirmation. I had pretty much already decided not to make a big stink about it and possibly ruin the opportunity for other people still getting by with non-AMEX issued AMEX cards. Maybe somebody should edit the wiki for the FNBO cards?

xtremelit3 May 29, 2015 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by nmjohnson (Post 24850701)
As a follow up, did Serve loads count towards your minimum spend? I have been hearing conflicting reports in the last few pages.

I'm wondering the same thing. The serve loads for my AMEX Business Rewards Gold card show up as "Business Services - Internet Services"

I've been reading mixed reports on this lately so any updated information would be very helpful.

diseased May 29, 2015 1:32 pm

Serve loads counted toward minimum spend on the PRG and Hilton card a few months back.

SPLP007 May 30, 2015 4:25 am

Originally Posted by diseased (Post 24888618)
Serve loads counted toward minimum spend on the PRG and Hilton card a few months back.

Think they are asking if load Serve with a AMEX card does it count toward bonus spending

valedecem May 30, 2015 6:23 am

Edit - I'm an idiot. Hit the limit for the month. Sorry guys.

kenme1 May 30, 2015 8:19 am

Originally Posted by valedecem (Post 24891415)
Edit - I'm an idiot. Hit the limit for the month. Sorry guys.

Ha! Such a newb thing to do, don't feel bad as I think we have all done something like this in the past (I did the same thing when I started out). Just keep MS'ing :D

diseased May 30, 2015 8:46 am

Originally Posted by SPLP007 (Post 24891167)
Think they are asking if load Serve with a AMEX card does it count toward bonus spending

I didn't earn any points on the Serve loads, they only counted toward minimum spend.

AnitaBryant63 May 30, 2015 10:55 am

Originally Posted by diseased (Post 24891764)
I didn't earn any points on the Serve loads, they only counted toward minimum spend.

Same here

mr_jetpack May 30, 2015 11:01 am

Some FD stores banning Serve?

I went to a FD store and when I asked to reload my Serve the cashier called over a manager with an annoyed expression. He said that recently they were told they can't do reloads anymore, and suggested other FDs. He was apologetic about it.

I emailed corporate and they replied that individual stores are not allowed to set policy, so they would get Upper Management involved. I thought that was an awesome response and will try going there again in 1-2 weeks to see if anything changed.

stirfrypoints May 30, 2015 11:01 am

Somebody reported that his Fidelity AMEX Serve load counted as cash advance recently.

mhdena May 30, 2015 11:09 am

Originally Posted by diseased (Post 24891764)

Does counting for the minimum spend Unlock the bonus offer, ie spend $3000 in 3 months get x amount cash back or x amount points?

Phantom707 May 30, 2015 11:09 am

Originally Posted by stirfrypoints (Post 24892324)
Somebody reported that his Fidelity AMEX Serve load counted as cash advance recently.

I got a new Serve account and did a Fidelity load on the 24th of this month. It posted as a purchase. I still have one more that's pending, though, so I'll see how that finalizes.

MisterEdF May 30, 2015 3:49 pm

If you make a purchase with the card which exceeds your available Serve account balance and they roll that purchase over to your "overage credit card" **AND** you have exceeded your credit card load limit for that month what happens? Anyone tried that?

Phantom707 May 30, 2015 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by MisterEdF (Post 24893392)
If you make a purchase with the card which exceeds your available Serve account balance and they roll that purchase over to your "overage credit card" **AND** you have exceeded your credit card load limit for that month what happens? Anyone tried that?

It pulls funds from your backup source. Yes, this allows you to go over the load limit for the month. Yes, I've done it.

MisterEdF May 30, 2015 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 24893457)
It pulls funds from your backup source. Yes, this allows you to go over the load limit for the month. Yes, I've done it.

Interesting. Does it process "normally" (no CA fee) as a monthly load would?

sbft77 May 30, 2015 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Phantom707 (Post 24893457)

Is there any reason to do this? (paying with the credit card directly would give the same or higher rewards)

Phantom707 May 30, 2015 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by MisterEdF (Post 24893949)
Interesting. Does it process "normally" (no CA fee) as a monthly load would?

I've only done it two or three times (with one or two cards). It processes it as a normal addition of funds, however that is coded by your particular credit card.

Originally Posted by sbft77 (Post 24894074)
Is there any reason to do this? (paying with the credit card directly would give the same or higher rewards)

I'll describe what's going on in terms of the movement of funds. Your Serve balance starts at $0. You make a purchase using your card for greater than $0. Serve's servers recognize that you have insufficient funds, so it draws from your backup funding source for the amount. If your backup source is a credit card, it'll read something like "Purchase Credit Card Load" in Serve and "AMERICAN EXPRESS SERVE" in your credit card. That exact amount is then debited from your accounted to pay for the purchase.

I really hate the term "spoon feeding" and "drawing circles and arrows" because they're used so much here, but that doesn't mean I'm going to engage in it. Get creative with what you think will happen if one of those steps is interrupted...

mhdena May 30, 2015 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena (Post 24892351)
Does amounts counting for the minimum spend Unlock the bonus offer, ie spend $3000 in 3 months get x amount cash back or x amount points?

How about an answer for this basic question before you go further into advanced metric:confused:

riphamilton May 30, 2015 9:01 pm

serve sent me a rather lengthy and in depth survey via email. i made sure to emphasize that credit card loads should be brought back.

it seemed like they asked a disproportionate amount of questions about walmart. that makes me wonder whether they're reevaluating that relationship.

Preacher7 May 31, 2015 5:53 am

Loaded a bunch of Vanilla Visas to Serve at Family Dollar last week without a hitch. Wondering if Vanilla Mastercards will also load? Back in the WM days, it seemed there were issues with loading the MCs but not the Visas, just wondering it FD is the same way. Thanks.

Do you have to set the PIN on a Vanilla MasterCard before loading or is it just the last 4, like with the Visas?

diseased May 31, 2015 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena (Post 24892351)
Does counting for the minimum spend Unlock the bonus offer, ie spend $3000 in 3 months get x amount cash back or x amount points?

Yes. I had to spend 3k for 80k Hilton points. $1600 of it was in Serve loads. Upon hitting the 3k mark and my statement closing, around 87k points posted.

mhdena May 31, 2015 2:36 pm

^^Thanks

ericdabbs May 31, 2015 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by riphamilton (Post 24894285)
serve sent me a rather lengthy and in depth survey via email. i made sure to emphasize that credit card loads should be brought back.

it seemed like they asked a disproportionate amount of questions about walmart. that makes me wonder whether they're reevaluating that relationship.

Hope u gave good responses to the questions regarding walmart