Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 10:36 pm

Hmm, not sure what went wrong for me, but I tried buying $500 and $100 variables with cash at an OD, and no discount came off -- total came to $609.90. Went all the way through to the point where I had to hand the cash over (in other words, the manager had come and done the override), and still nothing came off. Saw a similar report on SD.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:44 pm

I remember you have mentioned that it is hard to drain those vanilla GC in Walmart when purchasing MO, doesn't it? The max you could use everytime is $49.99. So for $500 one, doesn't we have to do 11 times? (Sorry I am still new in MS and still in learning process ).

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I see now what you missed. The fees for 3 x $200 fixed value is $20.85 compared to $9.90 fees for buying 2 variables in different combination amounts. That's why even if we pay cash for two, we still get a net profit of $30.10. There's no need to drive around because there's plenty of these in stores. I don't know about others but it was easy for me to liquidate $500 and $100 cards. I understand if it's too much trouble for one like you to liquidate them but for others, they can easily feed these to RBs or buy MOs.
Old May 16, 2015, 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
Hmm, not sure what went wrong for me, but I tried buying $500 and $100 variables with cash at an OD, and no discount came off -- total came to $609.90. Went all the way through to the point where I had to hand the cash over (in other words, the manager had come and done the override), and still nothing came off. Saw a similar report on SD.
OD registers are very unreliable. I have found that at some OD it always requires an override. I think the managers know that, so I don't think they mind getting called.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
So I'm at OM picking up a variety of 'other' gift cards, gas, pet store, clothing, amazon, etc and the whole section where the $200 and $100 VGC would be is completely bare....like cobweb bare. I take my cards to the clerk and she starts to ring me up when the phone rings. "No, we're out of those, we've been out for a week." I smiled and said "let me guess, visa gift cards?" She said Yes, people are like vultures circling for them.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:30 pm

I must of hit the mother load as my OD just a couple hours ago let me buy their ENTIRE stock of$200s + 2 large stacks $100s. I think I dropped at least $10K in the last couple days (I know small compared to the CVS OV days). If they could have this kind of sale once a month I'd be golden...yet I suspect OD would be overwhelmed by MS'ers if this happens.

Last edited by jdcbomb; May 17, 2015 at 3:23 am
Old May 17, 2015, 1:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jdcbomb
I must of hit the mother load as my OD just a couple hours ago let me buy their ENTIRE stock of of $200s + 2 large stacks $100s. I think I dropped at least $10K in the last couple days (I know small compared to the CVS OV days). If they could have this kind of sale once a month I'd be golden...yet I suspect OD would be overwhelmed by MS'ers if this happens.
How often do these type of OD/OM sales happen? Next time, on Day 1, I will be lining up at the open to clean out their inventory.
Old May 17, 2015, 2:43 am

Programs: AA EXC PLT, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt PLT, National Car Executive
You had to mix it with a newer variable and a non-variable $100
Old May 17, 2015, 3:25 am

It's hard to predict...not even sure of the historical frequency.

The key is knowing when they get their re-fill shipments as they only stock limited number each week.

Originally Posted by TMM1982
How often do these type of OD/OM sales happen? Next time, on Day 1, I will be lining up at the open to clean out their inventory.
Old May 17, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
This falls under questions that are absurd, probably stupid, but still amusing...

Is there any restriction on buying a VGC with a VGC (beyond some vague inkling of "common sense")? In short, if this offer were to repeat (I wouldn't try it this time for several reasons) is there anything other than the God-given sense that one would hope a cashier would have preventing a "recursive purchase" of these cards?

(This comes to mind both for the "basic purchase" of 3x $200...but also conceptually for converting 5x $200 to 2x $500)

I expect a negative response...but this is one of those absurdities that beg asking.
And what exactly would the point of such a recursive transaction be? To eventually complete lose all your money to transaction fees?
Old May 17, 2015, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by melonscent
I remember you have mentioned that it is hard to drain those vanilla GC in Walmart when purchasing MO, doesn't it? The max you could use everytime is $49.99. So for $500 one, doesn't we have to do 11 times? (Sorry I am still new in MS and still in learning process ).
I didn't drain any of the 500s at WM. I wanted an easy liquidation so turned them to MOs 2x$500 for $1K MO with one small fee. For the $100s, they weren't as difficult to drain in 3 transactions with Kate, some will be fed to RBs also with no fees.
Old May 17, 2015, 6:35 am

did you get the OneVanillas? they're the ones that didn't give discount, the other varieties did. When I first did cash transactions with OVs, total came up to $609.90. I thought it needed manager's override to subtract the discount. I'm glad the manager was very cordial, he tried all means and couldn't make the discount taken off. He got different ones from the shelf and it worked! Those were the ones I kept buying from then on. I don't know why the OVs were excluded from the offer.

Did you also try other varieties to see if they work?
Old May 17, 2015, 6:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TMM1982
Id say this is the last one. Didnt Staples buy out OD/OM? And AFAIK Staples never such a promo. Staples does have 1 from time to time but you need to send in (or go online) in order to get a $20 rebate GC back, so doing the kind of volume one was able to with OD/OM isnt there
Old May 17, 2015, 7:52 am

for those just reading this now, this offer that started May 3 ended yesterday.

here's hoping there's another round in a couple of weeks.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:05 am

did you get the OneVanillas? they're the ones that didn't give discount, the other varieties did. When I first did cash transactions with OVs, total came up to $609.90. I thought it needed manager's override to subtract the discount. I'm glad the manager was very cordial, he tried all means and couldn't make the discount taken off. He got different ones from the shelf and it worked! Those were the ones I kept buying from then on. I don't know why the OVs were excluded from the offer.

Did you also try other varieties to see if they work?
Ok, thanks for the info. I had only tried the OVs, as those are the only variables that this store had. I'm in an area full with MSers, so it doesn't surprise me that the store had been cleaned out of other variable cards.
Old May 17, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
for those just reading this now, this offer that started May 3 ended yesterday.

here's hoping there's another round in a couple of weeks.
That would be lovely. I think the last time that had this offer was Dec 2014. In 2014, I believe OM had this offer in Jan, Feb, Mar and maybe even April. I had no problems finding $200 Visa GC back then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.