Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Old May 11, 2015, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear

I'm not surprised at all if clerks don't buy these because it takes money to do this deal. Granting we pay with CCs, what's the percentage of store clerks that know how to play this game, much more, know the liquidation routes? How many clerks even have CCs to begin with? Maybe managers will avail of this deal but not in amounts that MSers buy because they may buy them for personal use.
I'm not surprised that clerks don't know how to play the game or have the means to do so, but I am surprised more of them don't ASK why people are storming the stores all of a sudden and buying stashes of the VGC.
Old May 11, 2015, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
that must be your store manager's policy because I was able to buy more $200 VGCs today on Ink card. as long as it's not hardcoded to register, this will be YMMV.
My nearest OM had only $100, so I grabbed 6x. Tried to purchase 3x $100 with 2 transactions. The cashier reported 2 transactions to a manager (?), she came & told me that I must purchase all of it in a single transaction, a corporate policy. Smelled bull, argued since there were no customers, then left.
Old May 11, 2015, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I'm not surprised that clerks don't know how to play the game or have the means to do so, but I am surprised more of them don't ASK why people are storming the stores all of a sudden and buying stashes of the VGC.
I won't generalize but most of the clerks at the ones I go to are young kids and seems to me they don't care at all except to do their job at the counter. They don't ask, I don't tell; just the way I prefer

when I asked one manager if they have some $200's in the stockroom, he came out with several vanillas of variable amounts. I had to explain to him that variable amount cards can only be paid with cash while fixed value cards can be paid with CC. He was nice and told me, "you are right, I forgot about that". he told me to check again sometime this week, they may get a delivery. I went to the other store and found some.
Old May 11, 2015, 4:40 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vagrants
My nearest OM had only $100, so I grabbed 6x. Tried to purchase 3x $100 with 2 transactions. The cashier reported 2 transactions to a manager (?), she came & told me that I must purchase all of it in a single transaction, a corporate policy. Smelled bull, argued since there were no customers, then left.
Doing 3x$100 doesn't trigger manager override requirement. Doing it twice would be a $600 purchase by one customer who MIGHT be trying to avoid having a manager personally scrutizine a large transaction. The bull here is you, who snorted and tossed horns and stamped out.

What you should have done is smiled sweetly and done the 6x$100 transaction, and thanked them for their assistance. When the amount is going to exceed $500, you should expect manager override and accept it graciously. If you are hitting a same store again where you have already done your "one per household", come at different hours and eyeball if it's the same manager on duty first. Never been a problem for me.

Last edited by ElPresidente; May 11, 2015 at 4:49 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Doing 3x$100 doesn't trigger manager override requirement. Doing it twice would be a $600 purchase by one customer who MIGHT be trying to avoid having a manager personally scrutizine how "shifty" you looked. The bull here is you, who snorted and tossed horns.

What you should have done is smiled sweetly and done the 6x$100 transaction, and thanked them for their assistance.
Manager came any way even before the cashier scan the GCs. And I didn't argue with the cashier, with the manager. So, if she's there already, what's the point of "trying" to avoid manager's override and telling me about the corporate policy that may not be true?

And, why the hell should I thank them for telling me things may not be true?
Old May 11, 2015, 4:57 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vagrants
Manager came any way even before the cashier scan the GCs. And I didn't argue with the cashier, with the manager. So, if she's there already, what's the point of "trying" to avoid manager's override and telling me about the corporate policy that may not be true?

And, why the hell should I thank them for telling me things may not be true?
Courtesy gets better results, even if your heart isn't in it. Never argue with store staff. If they make up rules on the spot, I always smile and say thank you for their help. There's other days, other staff, and other stores.

I argued with a cashier once a year ago and she REMEMBERS me and greets me by name. She's very polite about it, but I know she keeps a closer eye on the rules with me. As an MS'er I try to be completely anonymous, forgettable, and agreeable. Much easier to slide through their system smoothly.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:26 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I suspect quite a few people know what is going on...but there's also the fact that when you have offers like this on tap (where you are effectively getting cash for less than face value) nobody is surprised.
Old May 11, 2015, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by air360
Im not trying to earn rewards - I just didn't know if I had to use a OD/OM rewards account to have the discount activate...or if I could just skip that part and it still ring up the discount.
Just confirming I can do this discount again tomorrow...
You can do it tomorrow and skip giving your reward number
Old May 11, 2015, 6:21 pm

I'm sure this has already been posted and I missed it, but what's up with the sales tax being charged on the full cost of the gift card? Is that everywhere? This was in md.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:44 pm
Suspended

What I'm wondering is why OD/OM cashiers aren't buying more if these themselves. Lack of liquidation techniques? It's funny because only 1 cashier out of 4 has asked me what I do with them.
Did you consider that the other 3 didn't ask because they knew exatly what you were doing and may be doing it themselves?

Stop assuming you're smarter than the person behind the register.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I had no problems doing 2 transaction of 3x $100. All the $200 were already sold out. The cashier was curious and simply just asked what the deal was and told him.

Just an FYI, extra cards are stored inside of the gift card rack, at least at the OfficeMax I went too. Think a manger might have to open it but they let me take a look inside for $200s but their were none.
Old May 11, 2015, 6:52 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
$20 off $300 on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Max [ongoing]

I love the Midwest! Found another untouched OM with $200's available!
Old May 11, 2015, 6:57 pm

How does it factor in that Office Max is being absorbed/has been absorbed by Office Depot? can you get the $20 off at Office Depot?
Old May 11, 2015, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Courtesy gets better results, even if your heart isn't in it. Never argue with store staff. If they make up rules on the spot, I always smile and say thank you for their help. There's other days, other staff, and other stores.

I argued with a cashier once a year ago and she REMEMBERS me and greets me by name. She's very polite about it, but I know she keeps a closer eye on the rules with me. As an MS'er I try to be completely anonymous, forgettable, and agreeable. Much easier to slide through their system smoothly.
Thanks, I know how things work. Not my first time encountering chits. Kroger made chits as well, but I let it go. They can't take CC for variables any more, registers won't allow and can't override...chit. Anyway, Time to time, I got to get the fume outta me. And, I don't really care because these individual stores that make chits on the spot are dead to me and I won't return most likely.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:12 pm

I got 3x100 VGC by Metabank with the $20 off.
Going to load to RB. Will I find more info on the unload process in this thread or in the RB thread?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.