Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discounts/rebates on Visa/MC gift cards at Office Depot/Office Max(2014-2017)

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by michael_v
The new blue Metabank, is it $200 or something else?
$200. I bought 3 of them yesterday -- surprisingly, 2 of 4 OD/OMs restocked since Thursday evening (although one was already on its last package of cards), and I bought 3 $100s at the third. The fourth, an OM, has never had any at all in stock.
Old May 9, 2015, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by carlitos
Sad to return to South Florida, pit stop at an OD near the airport just to find out plenty of $200 VGC that can not be bought with CC. Yes, typical Florida. The manager said the fraud levels here are so high, that she will not accept CC. I miss Ohio

And no, I was not in North East Ohio. Brutus is from CMH
Welcome to my MS life
Old May 9, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by carlitos
Sad to return to South Florida, pit stop at an OD near the airport just to find out plenty of $200 VGC that can not be bought with CC. Yes, typical Florida. The manager said the fraud levels here are so high, that she will not accept CC. I miss Ohio

And no, I was not in North East Ohio. Brutus is from CMH
Umm....you are not missing anything....no $200 to be found either...
Old May 9, 2015, 12:16 pm

What's going on lately with OD? Local stores now saying the won't accept credit or debit for $100/$200 cards. Nonsense policies.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by xraywinedrinker
Maybe these stores wouldn't have such a concern for fraud if they would actually check drivers license to credit cards. I have made several purchases at Office Depot and have not had my ID checked once.
They check my DL every time despite the fact that I've frequented the same store for years. I guess this is another example of inconsistency between stores.
Old May 9, 2015, 12:35 pm

On Thursday I went to 3 different ODs and all 3 of them were stocked full of 100 and 200 VGCs. Each store limited me to only $600 though. So today I went back to all 3 of them. All of the 200s and 100s were gone. When a cashier saw me browsing the display, he came over because he recognized me from the other day. He said "people have been doing bad things with these" and that they are now limiting it to 2 per customer instead of 2 per customer per day. He went on to say that all the stores will be enforcing this rule and that the DL will alert the cashier if the person has already bought some (which I find hard to believe). Anyways, it sure seems like the stores pulled the cards. I find it hard to believe people actually bought all the cards, especially since the stores were actually enforcing the limit.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by piperpilot03
On Thursday I went to 3 different ODs and all 3 of them were stocked full of 100 and 200 VGCs. Each store limited me to only $600 though. So today I went back to all 3 of them. All of the 200s and 100s were gone. When a cashier saw me browsing the display, he came over because he recognized me from the other day. He said "people have been doing bad things with these" and that they are now limiting it to 2 per customer instead of 2 per customer per day. He went on to say that all the stores will be enforcing this rule and that the DL will alert the cashier if the person has already bought some (which I find hard to believe). Anyways, it sure seems like the stores pulled the cards. I find it hard to believe people actually bought all the cards, especially since the stores were actually enforcing the limit.
Wouldn't you have loved to know what the definition of "bad things" meant?
Old May 9, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: HH Gold (again), US/UA/DL non-elite, ZE Presidents Circle, WN reluctant no fee convert.
Originally Posted by cashcow
What's going on lately with OD? Local stores now saying the won't accept credit or debit for $100/$200 cards. Nonsense policies.
It's just confusion of all the staff members and what they get told as part of their training, I think.

Was advised: Variables, NO CC payment. Set amount $ GCs (like $200), CC is acceptable.

Register is coded and knows what to accept. Cashier, well, not so sure...
Old May 9, 2015, 1:23 pm

Today I tried to pay with 2 cc but their system was not letting them to do (I don't think its true, they just wanted to do with one card). Does anyone if it's possible to split the transaction in two cc and how?
Thanks
Old May 9, 2015, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I bought 6 more $200s at the East Side OD and OM. I'm debating whether I want to go to the West Side OD -- they only had $100s yesterday and I'm kind of sick of dealing with $100 GCs. If I don't go, I've bought $5555.20 worth of GCs at OD/OM this week for a total of 27,776 URs. I'm sure others have done much more, but I'm happy with this much.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
For Vanilla, I know. But the new blue ones too?
That's what it says on the back of the packaging.
Old May 9, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I bought 6 more $200s at the East Side OD and OM. I'm debating whether I want to go to the West Side OD -- they only had $100s yesterday and I'm kind of sick of dealing with $100 GCs. If I don't go, I've bought $5555.20 worth of GCs at OD/OM this week for a total of 27,776 URs. I'm sure others have done much more, but I'm happy with this much.
Old May 9, 2015, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
I'm at about 10k worth of GCS for the current promotion $200 or $100 doesn't bother me. I try to Buy as much as I can. you never know when the next deal will be. once I hit my 50k cap for ink. I can focus on other cards.
Old May 9, 2015, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by briang191
I'm at about 10k worth of GCS for the current promotion $200 or $100 doesn't bother me. I try to Buy as much as I can. you never know when the next deal will be. once I hit my 50k cap for ink. I can focus on other cards.
I went over the 2x gas $50,000 cap on both cards last year but they kept giving me 2x. I won't come close to the 5x cap -- I hardly ever buy GCs at OD/OM.
Old May 9, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Apparently I'm an OfficeMax employee!!

Went to one of my local OM's to buy 3 X $200 VGCs. Had bought 3 there earlier in the week as well as at two other local OM's so I knew the drill.

Cashiers scans the VGCs, get manager approval, pay.

Except this time when the cashier called over the manager a young man comes over (not sure if he really was a manager) and tells me I cannot buy more than $500 worth:

me: sure I can, I've done it several times and even at this OM
guy: no you can't
me: yes I can, it just needs the manager's authorization
guy: no you can't, it's embezzlement (yes he really did say that)
me: it's not embezzlement!!
At which time a 3rd employee was standing there and joins the conversation
3rd guy: no you can't, it's illegal
me: it's not illegal and it's not embezzlement. Do you even know what embezzlement means?
guy: yes I do and it's embezzlement. No OM, OD, Staples, etc will let you buy more than $500
me: now you guys are just making stuff up. Just put in the authorization and it'll process just fine
3rd guy: we aren't making this up, we are told this in our training
me: well then you aren't paying attention during class
guy: I can get the manager over here and he'll tell you the same thing
me: no he won't. Just get him over here so he can put in his authorization.

In the meantime, the guy has taken one of the VGCs off of the transaction to get it below $500. I tell him I don't want to do that as I won't get the $40 off.

Finally the 2nd and 3rd guy leave and the manager comes over. I tell him I just want to buy the 3 VGCs in one transaction. He puts the third one back on, puts in his authorization and the correct total shows up. I pay and thank him. I also tell him he might want to educate his employees and tell them to stop making up rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.