Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Chase may be coding Amex Serve as a Cash Advance (not confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 2, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterCharge
DO NOT CALL CHASE ABOUT THIS
You might want to read more about this hear. http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/10/02/jpmorgan-discovers-further-cyber-security-issues/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0

Oct 2nd- State of CC Loading to Serve

except to ask for a $0 cash advance limit. This can also be done via secure message.

Some Chase cardholders have reported a change in their cash advance limit after a pending charge appears for their Serve load, and they presume it means the Serve load is a cash advance. No one has reported an actual cash advance fee yet, only a pending charge of $200. This could change but this situation has happened before! In the past, such charges eventually turn into ordinary charges and the cash advance goes away.

You cannot dispute a charge while it's pending, so there's no point in asking Chase about anything that hasn't posted. No one has reported a cash advance fee, and unless you have one do not call Chase.

There are reports of a change in cash advance limits after a Serve load with the following cards::
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Club
  • Chase Ink Bold Visa
  • Also a Capital One card
  • Discover IT

There are also reports of NO cash advance when using the following cards. Note the overlap:
  • Chase Sapphire Preferred
  • Chase UA Explorer Visa
  • Chase UA Explorer MC
  • Chase British Airways Visa
  • Chase Southwest Visa
  • Also Barclay, Citi cards (Prestige, AA), Fidelity AMEX seem to be ok
  • Bank of America (Visa)

Note that some of the reports appear in the Serve thread.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2014, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Everyone,

Please be aware -- chase is now coding as of today amex serve transactions as a cash advance. My transaction was declined, and after calling in to CS, found out it is being coded as a cash advance.

I luckily had the foresight to set my cash advance limit to $0, but looks like Chase is dead.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:01 am

It isn't really 100% concrete until someone gets hit with the CA charge.

Many times with different issuers, calling in will get you "this was a cash advance" response and it ends up posting as a purchase. Your charge may have been blocked for other reasons.

Not saying you're wrong or anything, just it is hard to tell sometimes.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:18 am

I can see it reduced my "Available for Cash Advance" amount by $500.

Last edited by voodoomonkey; Oct 4, 2014 at 11:18 am
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:19 am

Originally Posted by letopeto
Everyone,

Please be aware -- chase is now coding as of today amex serve transactions as a cash advance. My transaction was declined, and after calling in to CS, found out it is being coded as a cash advance.

I luckily had the foresight to set my cash advance limit to $0, but looks like Chase is dead.
Originally Posted by voodoomonkey
I can see it reduced my "Available for Cash Advance" amount by $500. That's evidence enough for me. Sucks.
I just loaded Serve this morning with my CSP card and I didn't see any changes in Cash Advance amount changed and I haven't set my Cash Advance to zero. Does it deduct the Cash Advance available balance as soon as you charge to it or after it gets posted? If that is the case, I didn't see any changes.

For both of you, can you please list which Chase cards it coded as "cash advance"? I have read in the past that if you use the Ink (Cash, Plus or Bold) cards that it could be charged as cash advance but I am not sure how many data points there were.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:19 am
Used to be garyjr316

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, Gold Passport, Hilton HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
I just loaded Serve this morning and I didn't see any changes in Cash Advance amount changed and I haven't set my Cash Advance to zero.
Same here...
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:23 am

I loaded yesterday and today for $400 total.
My CA limit decreased $200, but nothing posted yet (naturally).

Thanks for the warning though, will keep an eye on it.

EDIT: used CSP

Last edited by mikex163; Oct 2, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
can you please list which Chase cards it coded as "cash advance"? I have read in the past that if you use the Ink (Cash, Plus or Bold) cards that it could be charged as cash advance but I am not sure how many data points there were.
I used CSP. Both the 10/1 and 10/2 loads ($500 each) are Pending, and Available Cash Advance has dropped by $500.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:29 am

Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it. Anyone else can confirm?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:31 am

Welp, things not looking good.

I never bothered switching my 3 BB to Serve. Seems like every advantage Serve gets ends up getting cracked eventually.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by hamhead
Welp, things not looking good.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:35 am

CSP cash advance $0 - worked yesterday but today:

"You have the following errors.
We're sorry, your card issuer declined this transaction. Please call the number on the back of your Visa card for additional information."
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:44 am

Originally Posted by vinctong
CSP cash advance $0 - worked yesterday but today:

"You have the following errors.
We're sorry, your card issuer declined this transaction. Please call the number on the back of your Visa card for additional information."
Same thing here. CA set to $0. Transaction declined. Time to switch card.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:47 am

This is a change on Chase's part right?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:47 am

anyone experiencing this on a bank other than chase? Is it also possible that its acting like the buxx card which initially shows as CA on some cards but posts as purchase?
Old Oct 2, 2014, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by voodoomonkey
I used CSP. Both the 10/1 and 10/2 loads ($500 each) are Pending, and Available Cash Advance has dropped by $500.
Interesting. I'll keep an eye out for it when it posts. Question for you, if they charged the transaction as Cash Advance, would it deduct the available cash advance amount right away or does the transaction have to post to your account before they deduct the available cash advance balance? It sounds like from your answer if you were charged a Cash Advance it would be deducted right away.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.