Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 11:50 pm

For people who buy the MetaBank VGCs at grocery stores... How does this usually go down? I know CVS has limits and what not. Not sure if grocery stores have these. Or if they don't prefer going for $5k at a time. How much do you usually buy at once?

I may move to this even though they're $1 extra than CVS just to make my life easier at WM.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 12:18 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by neworleans flyer
And the trolls poke their heads up without all the facts yet again

The 'stack' in question had exactly 4 OV cards and they were put on the counter on my side - at waist level of the cashier and virtually impossible for her to see unless she were to physically come around to the other side. I had 6 total on me and the other 2 were in my pocket.

Before you call someone stupid or assume common sense wasn't used - please do the courtesy of doing the same yourself. I am well aware of the need to be discrete and play it cool while MS'ing. If the person I was dealing with the MC today had told me no go on the OV for a MO, I would (as I have in the past) said thanks and walked straight out.
I have to say that common sense was NOT used by this person if they were giving that level of details to a WM CSR and not keeping cards hidden!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:15 am

Originally Posted by maddie5218
For people who buy the MetaBank VGCs at grocery stores... How does this usually go down? I know CVS has limits and what not. Not sure if grocery stores have these. Or if they don't prefer going for $5k at a time. How much do you usually buy at once?

I may move to this even though they're $1 extra than CVS just to make my life easier at WM.
I'm at the groc store at least once a week. I buy 2 max each trip, just because I'm in a small town. I suppose I could do more. Groc store (Kroger) always asks for ID.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:23 am

Did you all see this? Stumbled on it via a google search.

http://travelwithgrant.com/2014/05/3...ads-difficult/
Old Jun 9, 2014, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Did you all see this? Stumbled on it via a google search.

http://travelwithgrant.com/2014/05/3...ads-difficult/
old news..... yawnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by neworleans flyer
And the trolls poke their heads up without all the facts yet again

The 'stack' in question had exactly 4 OV cards and they were put on the counter on my side - at waist level of the cashier and virtually impossible for her to see unless she were to physically come around to the other side. I had 6 total on me and the other 2 were in my pocket.

Before you call someone stupid or assume common sense wasn't used - please do the courtesy of doing the same yourself. I am well aware of the need to be discrete and play it cool while MS'ing. If the person I was dealing with the MC today had told me no go on the OV for a MO, I would (as I have in the past) said thanks and walked straight out.
Dude, you got out four GCs and then proceeded to walk the WM employee through MSing. How of Earth is that discrete or using common sense? While MSing is 100% legal and 100% logical to us, it sounds fishy to anyone else. You did yourself (and anyone else who uses that WM to MS) a disservice. I am not trying to be mean or rude, but come on...
Old Jun 9, 2014, 7:38 am

It depends on the grocery store. The ones in my area usually impose $2,500 limits, but they do not scan you DL, so you could hit up every location in one day.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by kingrat
old news..... yawnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Well, duh. But who's the blogger? :-)
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by commdiver
Dude, you got out four GCs and then proceeded to walk the WM employee through MSing. How of Earth is that discrete or using common sense? While MSing is 100% legal and 100% logical to us, it sounds fishy to anyone else. You did yourself (and anyone else who uses that WM to MS) a disservice. I am not trying to be mean or rude, but come on...
You're being paranoid. Several employees at the WM I go to know why I'm doing MOs, although not the gritty details, and they sometimes ask me how my trip is shaping up. A couple of the people at my CVS asked for details and one is trying it out in a small way. It's called human interaction. And honesty -- we're doing nothing wrong.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:44 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred

I don't see metabank GCs too many places. I'm going to go search some out.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:53 am

I wasn't trying to start a bash-fest. It seemed to me that the MC rep could see the cards and receipts on the counter. And she did clearly mention that the system would automatically see them as credit.

Again, not trying to start anything. Sorry.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:05 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Nolala
I wasn't trying to start a bash-fest. It seemed to me that the MC rep could see the cards and receipts on the counter. And she did clearly mention that the system would automatically see them as credit.

Again, not trying to start anything. Sorry.
Let's be as discreet as possible and offer tips on how to remain discreet. I think everyone's point has been made. Back to biz as usual folks.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:20 am

While I don't buy GCs from groceries too frequently ($10-15k a month, majority of my MS comes from CVS), most have register limits in place around $500 and those that don't the cashiers still look at you funny. Especially if you went in there with any sort of volume.

I don't think I could find a grocery store that would allow more than $1k a visit and more than a couple K a week. You're usually better off getting them when you are grocery shopping anyway ($500 GC coupled with 15-20 grocery items looks a lot less odd than throwing down a couple GCs and nothing else) or making a run and hitting up a few stores for $500-1k at each.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:22 am

Legality of the Wal-Mart Workaround

This is not your typical, I don't understand MS, therefore it must be illegal, thread.

Wal-Mart recently stopped accepting OneVanilla Debit Cards and Vanilla Gift Cards as debit cards. As a result, one can no longer buy money orders or load money cards with said debit cards. However, the FlyerTalk crew has been advocating the use of a "workaround." Essentially, there is a way to trick Wal-Mart's system into accepting these debit cards.

My question is: How is this not a crime? A workaround sure seems like a "scheme or artifice."

This isn't regular MS. This is the exploitation of a system flaw.

If you can't convince a friend MS is legit, how are you going to convince a jury of your peers?

Flame on!

18 U.S. Code § 1343 - Fraud by wire, radio, or television

Whoever, having devised or intending to devise any scheme or artifice to defraud, or for obtaining money or property by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises, transmits or causes to be transmitted by means of wire, radio, or television communication in interstate or foreign commerce, any writings, signs, signals, pictures, or sounds for the purpose of executing such scheme or artifice, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than 20 years, or both. If the violation occurs in relation to, or involving any benefit authorized, transported, transmitted, transferred, disbursed, or paid in connection with, a presidentially declared major disaster or emergency (as those terms are defined in section 102 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 5122)), or affects a financial institution, such person shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.

18 U.S. Code § 1344 - Bank fraud

Whoever knowingly executes, or attempts to execute, a scheme or artifice
(1) to defraud a financial institution; or
(2) to obtain any of the moneys, funds, credits, assets, securities, or other property owned by, or under the custody or control of, a financial institution, by means of false or fraudulent pretenses, representations, or promises;
shall be fined not more than $1,000,000 or imprisoned not more than 30 years, or both.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

Originally Posted by hamhead
While I don't buy GCs from groceries too frequently ($10-15k a month, majority of my MS comes from CVS), most have register limits in place around $500 and those that don't the cashiers still look at you funny. Especially if you went in there with any sort of volume.

I don't think I could find a grocery store that would allow more than $1k a visit and more than a couple K a week. You're usually better off getting them when you are grocery shopping anyway ($500 GC coupled with 15-20 grocery items looks a lot less odd than throwing down a couple GCs and nothing else) or making a run and hitting up a few stores for $500-1k at each.
I've done $1k to $1.5k between gift cards and reloads it at my local grocery store with no issue. Sometimes I get the shocked "wow! That much? Can I get a loan?" type thing but these are from young kids too. So spending that much money in one pop is foreign to them anyways.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.