Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 29, 2014, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: prasha11
Does not work anymore, is dead..... what is the point to report 'not working'?

As of 08/25/2014, Bancorp cards (Vanilla Visa, OneVanilla, etc.) are rarely working first try for debit transactions at Walmart. There is no apparent geographical basis. Basically, it's a crapshoot.

Do not agitate a cashier or store and lose the ability to make these transactions in the future. Multiple failed swipes or transactions will likely increase scrutiny. You do not want that. It is best to stop using these cards.

Vanilla VISA defaulting to credit
As of 5/29/2014, at most Walmart locations, all Vanilla VISA cards issued by The Bancorp Bank are automatically recognized as credit. Most Mastercard have required a workaround for some time. The MoneyCenter Express (ATM, kiosk, Kate) is not affected by this change.
Print Wikipost

MO Purchases using OV @ WM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:58 pm

It seems that Vanillas are being blocked at more than just WM, based on reports that I've seen. Has anyone ever considered making a complaint to Visa, or to any government agencies, that Bancorp is marketing these cards as debit cards, but has obviously undertaken to block debit transactions? I'm not sure if it's a good or bad idea, so I'd be curious as to people's thoughts.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
It seems that Vanillas are being blocked at more than just WM, based on reports that I've see
I had no problem at f00dlion buy mo with OV today. so just WM thing.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 10:56 pm

Programs: DL, BA, AA
Tried to use OV's at 2 different Kates and the customer service counter tonight. Not one swipe went through after multiple tries of different cards.

Tried one for a regular spend though, and it does work for that.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:06 pm

Failed on OV multiple tries too .... guess it's time to move on.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by jonnydoe1234
It seems that Vanillas are being blocked at more than just WM, based on reports that I've seen. Has anyone ever considered making a complaint to Visa, or to any government agencies, that Bancorp is marketing these cards as debit cards, but has obviously undertaken to block debit transactions? I'm not sure if it's a good or bad idea, so I'd be curious as to people's thoughts.
You're correct. Vanillas won't run as debit at another grocery store I frequent.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:22 am

No issues unloading 4 OVs at K yesterday, so it's just a WM issue for me.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 7:28 am

Programs: SW CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GTFan
No issues unloading 4 OVs at K yesterday, so it's just a WM issue for me.
At K are you paying the same bill multiple times?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hitman1420
You're correct. Vanillas won't run as debit at another grocery store I frequent.
That would make OVs useless, so that can't be intentional on the part of the issuer.

Maybe the problem isn't WM at all, but some sort of glitch with the company that issues them.

Which would make sense, as we had this problem with Kate for a few days a while back, then it started to work again. If it had been WM blocking OVs, they would have kept blocking them. More likely a temporary glitch at the Vanilla factory.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:32 am

Has no one been using Kate with non-Vanilla cards?

Because I haven't seen any reports of people loading at Kate with non-Van cards. Lots of posts on how using OV is "stupid", so you would think those folks are loading with non-Vans, but if so, why is no one reporting on their results.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:33 am

Just loaded two more OVs to serve about 30 mins. ago.
Business as usual at my local Kate.

If there is an issue, it doesn't appear to be system-wide.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Bean
Just loaded two more OVs to serve about 30 mins. ago.
Business as usual at my local Kate.

If there is an issue, it doesn't appear to be system-wide.
Your Kate is the Last Buffalo.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:36 am

I and others reported using metas successfully this week at Kate. Maybe it was the other thread. Vanilla seems to be choking Kate this week.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:46 am

So Far, Meta hasn't failed yet. I think OV / Bancorp is not dead at WM. I have a few OV in my wallet that I will try to load at Kate when I am there loading Meta cards. I am not buying anymore OV/Bancorp for now though
Old Oct 9, 2014, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by bigugly
I and others reported using metas successfully this week at Kate. Maybe it was the other thread. Vanilla seems to be choking Kate this week.
Thanks. Then it's not Kate per se, but something about Kate + OV.

So glad I pushed myself to get our BB loading done last weekend when Kate was in fine form. Not that I can't weather out sitting on $5K of OVs waiting to see if Kate recovers, but I really prefer not to.

It would take me well into next year to spend all of that with Evolve.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 12:06 pm

I feel ya. I have almost nothing useful on Evolve, I don't have access to AFT, -4 BP, and only 1 K within 50 miles for a BP there. With AP leaving us, my cheaper options for shedding OV without Kate are slim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.