Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kroger Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:41 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Alcibiades
"Jamar said Halaweh stole about $150,000 worth of gift cards from Safeway stores by using fake credit cards to purchase them."
They discovered that two men had been buying dozens of gift cards, often pre-paid Visa cards, at grocery stores up and down the North Coast. The large sums raised red flags for Safeway.

Often, they would buy several thousand dollars worth at a time.

“Sometimes they would buy $3,000 worth, then come back again later in the day and do it again,” Jamar said.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon
They discovered that two men had been buying dozens of gift cards, often pre-paid Visa cards, at grocery stores up and down the North Coast. The large sums raised red flags for Safeway.

Often, they would buy several thousand dollars worth at a time.

“Sometimes they would buy $3,000 worth, then come back again later in the day and do it again,” Jamar said.
Right. And nobody here has ever done THAT.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Right. And nobody here has ever done THAT.
You're totally missing the point. The posters are asking HOW the authorities knew that. Was Kroger collecting DL info? Did they recognize them by face?

I haven't given DL info since the CVS days. The stores I frequent now recognize me, so that would be how I would be caught if I was frauding.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Kroger collects my driver's license information every time I buy a gift card. The cashiers who know me joke that they should have it memorized by now. I'm not the least bit concerned by it. MS is perfectly legal, so if the authorities come knocking, I have nothing to worry about.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:53 pm

Having to set PIN for USBank GCs is a major PIA. Wish they would switch to Metabank.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:06 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by tuphat
Having to set PIN for USBank GCs is a major PIA. Wish they would switch to Metabank.
If you rip open the back of the packaging you will now find the pin.

You do not have to call to re-set any more.

That is the good news. The bad news is that if you write the pin in the signature strip, put them in your pocket, take them to WalMart to do CheckFreeBillPay (because you do not want to buy so many money orders at Kroger that they might complain), the pin will have smeared) and you will be infuriated while standing in line at WalMart.

So the OneVanilla choose any pin at first use is better. But those do not work at WalMart.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Andy2
If you rip open the back of the packaging you will now find the pin.

You do not have to call to re-set any more.

That is the good news. The bad news is that if you write the pin in the signature strip, put them in your pocket, take them to WalMart to do CheckFreeBillPay (because you do not want to buy so many money orders at Kroger that they might complain), the pin will have smeared) and you will be infuriated while standing in line at WalMart.

So the OneVanilla choose any pin at first use is better. But those do not work at WalMart.
True, but you can invest $2 in a permanent/non-smearing pen.

I called probably 20 times to set a pin until I realized that the preset pin was included in the packaging. Saves me hours.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by fletch512

I called probably 20 times to set a pin until I realized that the preset pin was included in the packaging. Saves me hours.
People have reported that it is better to change the pin. If you have issues with the preset one, it can lose the debit functionality.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Cubic Zirconia, Marriott Fools Gold
You can get two of those said pens at Staples right now for free after rebate. Combine the deal with Staples rewards & a 5x cc and they'd actually pay you to take the pens
Old Jul 14, 2014, 7:52 pm

Sorry, I am confused. On my packaging, there's an inner cardboard thingy with a bar code and a 9-digit number, which includes 7 leading zeros. Is this what you're talking about?

Edit: Never mind, I now see the separate thing with the PIN. THANKS!
Edit: Wait a sec, it seems to vary by package. The package labeled GIFTKRO612R2 doesn't include a PIN, whereas the package GIFTKRO214R1 has it. The latter package also has a later exp. date.

Last edited by tuphat; Jul 14, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:02 pm

Wow, I've been calling all this time... Can't wait to try using the preset pins.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by hitman1420
Wow, I've been calling all this time... Can't wait to try using the preset pins.
It saves roughly a minute per card, that can add up to a very significant time savings when doing large enough volume.

Also, it's still possible to come across old stock w/o PINs included. I get annoyed when I have to go back to the dark ages of calling in to set the PIN.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Southwest CP, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by tuphat
Sorry, I am confused. On my packaging, there's an inner cardboard thingy with a bar code and a 9-digit number, which includes 7 leading zeros. Is this what you're talking about?

Edit: Never mind, I now see the separate thing with the PIN. THANKS!
Edit: Wait a sec, it seems to vary by package. The package labeled GIFTKRO612R2 doesn't include a PIN, whereas the package GIFTKRO214R1 has it. The latter package also has a later exp. date.
I have found this at my Kroger too, both with Visa and MC variables. Ill pull 2 off the shelf together, one has a pin the next wont. This has happened several times. Seems really odd.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Intertraffic
I have found this at my Kroger too, both with Visa and MC variables. Ill pull 2 off the shelf together, one has a pin the next wont. This has happened several times. Seems really odd.
Old stock.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 9:26 pm

The ones that tear open at the top do not have pins. You tear it on the right, pin is inside.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.