Reloadit master thread

Old Feb 7, 14, 12:00 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 102
Reloadit master thread

Check out the new Reloadit site. The Reloadit "safe" includes a billpay function that is coming February 19th. Interesting possibilities...

Last edited by marktelefono; Feb 7, 14 at 12:50 am Reason: Sp
marktelefono is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 12:48 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: CA
Programs: BA, AA, United
Posts: 421
Looks interesting. Finding grocery store cashiers who will sell reloadit is a challenge. However with the new design with no 'Cash Only' label in the front, will hopefully make it easy.


Originally Posted by marktelefono View Post
Check out the new fReloadit site. The Reloadit "safe" includes a billpay function that is coming February 19th. Interesting possibilities...
rambo is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 3:01 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SNA/LAX
Posts: 144
I also haven't found a store that will sell me them with a cc in SoCal, though others swear there are places.
TravelSummary is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 3:19 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 919
Originally Posted by TravelSummary View Post
I also haven't found a store that will sell me them with a cc in SoCal, though others swear there are places.
Depends where in SoCal. AFAIK, there are no places that have the new Reloadits.
hitman1420 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 4:02 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 401
I've tried in NorCal, and it's damn near impossible to get ReloadIts. Hard enough to find stores carrying them, even harder to get competent cashier willing to ring them up, and then doing it with credit. Not worth the hassle.
cardinalkid1891 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 6:26 am
  #6  
jk2
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,446
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
Looks interesting. Finding grocery store cashiers who will sell reloadit is a challenge. However with the new design with no 'Cash Only' label in the front, will hopefully make it easy.
I didn't see these new cards yet in our store - only old design. Do they come in $20-500 or $200-950?
jk2 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 8:46 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Programs: None
Posts: 135
Originally Posted by jk2 View Post
I didn't see these new cards yet in our store - only old design. Do they come in $20-500 or $200-950?
New Cards come in $20-$500 and $40-$950 - Same $3.95 fee though.
BADELAYS is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 9:24 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
Looks interesting. Finding grocery store cashiers who will sell reloadit is a challenge. However with the new design with no 'Cash Only' label in the front, will hopefully make it easy.
I don't think it matters what the label says or cashiers are willing to do. The rules of acceptable payments are coded into the register. I had many situations when I went all the way past swiping the credit card just to be denied by the machine.
aleck71 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 9:32 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 304
It absolutely matters what the cashier thinks and is willing to do. There are many times when a cashier will refuse to ring up a card because in their head, it is cash only, despite the register allowing it.

This happened to me at a go to grocery store last week. I returned the next day and simply went to a different cashier who didn't bat an eye.
jonnyd13 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 9:41 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 322
I've had the occasional cashier who would ring me up, but about 95% of the time they point to the "cash only" print. Meanwhile, I generally have no problem buying VGCs and Univision cards with a CC because they do not have the "cash only" print.
flyertalkingallday is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 10:00 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 10
There is some discussion about reloadits in the Tmobile prepaid card thread. Some reports of seeing the new card on racks. Definitely YMMV about buying with a CC. I was able to coax a cashier at a socal grocery store yesterday into letting buy the old version with a cc.
HefeSD is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 10:10 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: JFK
Programs: *$ Gold :)
Posts: 1,061
Originally Posted by flyertalkingallday View Post
I've had the occasional cashier who would ring me up, but about 95% of the time they point to the "cash only" print. Meanwhile, I generally have no problem buying VGCs and Univision cards with a CC because they do not have the "cash only" print.
I was pointed to the "cash only" print just yesterday. As the only thing they care about is that wording on the card. Wasted trip to the store...
pier11 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 10:23 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 546
Originally Posted by jonnyd13 View Post
It absolutely matters what the cashier thinks and is willing to do. There are many times when a cashier will refuse to ring up a card because in their head, it is cash only, despite the register allowing it.

This happened to me at a go to grocery store last week. I returned the next day and simply went to a different cashier who didn't bat an eye.
If the register is hard coded for cash only, it doesn't matter what the cashier is willing to do. S/he can try to ring it up on CC, but the register will block the sale. There is no way for a cashier to override a hard-coded register. If they intentionally tried to hack their way past a hardcoded register they would likely lose their job and be prosecuted.
silver4300 is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 10:50 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 829
I am quite confident that registers of the major grocery chain in CA are NOT hard coded for cash-only on those cards.

Anything over $500 will require manager override. So if you found a willing cashier, make it $495+$3.95 fee.
MaineCoon is offline  
Old Feb 7, 14, 1:45 pm
  #15  
jk2
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,446
I'm interested to see what kind of BP ReloadIt will offer.

On other hand, did anybody recently get TheReachCard or Vision Prepaid? Both are reloadable via Reloadits, offer BP. I have both of them, they are very useful for my MS activity. However, I noticed (it is more than 1 month) that when I click "get your card" it does not take you to sign up page but rather the same homepage reappears. Did they shutdown new sign-ups (both are Bancorp products)? I don't think they blacklist my IP address.

Can anybody try if you could see sign up page (just curious)?
http://www.thereachcard.com/
http://www.visionprepaid.com/
jk2 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: