FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Reloadit master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1549472-reloadit-master-thread.html)

marktelefono Feb 6, 2014 11:00 pm

Reloadit master thread

Check out the new Reloadit site. The Reloadit "safe" includes a billpay function that is coming February 19th. Interesting possibilities...

rambo Feb 6, 2014 11:48 pm

Looks interesting. Finding grocery store cashiers who will sell reloadit is a challenge. However with the new design with no 'Cash Only' label in the front, will hopefully make it easy.

Originally Posted by marktelefono (Post 22302608)
Check out the new fReloadit site. The Reloadit "safe" includes a billpay function that is coming February 19th. Interesting possibilities...

TravelSummary Feb 7, 2014 2:01 am

I also haven't found a store that will sell me them with a cc in SoCal, though others swear there are places.

hitman1420 Feb 7, 2014 2:19 am

Originally Posted by TravelSummary (Post 22303067)
I also haven't found a store that will sell me them with a cc in SoCal, though others swear there are places.

Depends where in SoCal. AFAIK, there are no places that have the new Reloadits.

cardinalkid1891 Feb 7, 2014 3:02 am

I've tried in NorCal, and it's damn near impossible to get ReloadIts. Hard enough to find stores carrying them, even harder to get competent cashier willing to ring them up, and then doing it with credit. Not worth the hassle.

jk2 Feb 7, 2014 5:26 am

Originally Posted by rambo (Post 22302746)
Looks interesting. Finding grocery store cashiers who will sell reloadit is a challenge. However with the new design with no 'Cash Only' label in the front, will hopefully make it easy.

I didn't see these new cards yet in our store - only old design. Do they come in $20-500 or $200-950?

BADELAYS Feb 7, 2014 7:46 am

Originally Posted by jk2 (Post 22303627)
I didn't see these new cards yet in our store - only old design. Do they come in $20-500 or $200-950?

New Cards come in $20-$500 and $40-$950 - Same $3.95 fee though.

aleck71 Feb 7, 2014 8:24 am

Originally Posted by rambo (Post 22302746)

I don't think it matters what the label says or cashiers are willing to do. The rules of acceptable payments are coded into the register. I had many situations when I went all the way past swiping the credit card just to be denied by the machine.

jonnyd13 Feb 7, 2014 8:32 am

It absolutely matters what the cashier thinks and is willing to do. There are many times when a cashier will refuse to ring up a card because in their head, it is cash only, despite the register allowing it.

This happened to me at a go to grocery store last week. I returned the next day and simply went to a different cashier who didn't bat an eye.

flyertalkingallday Feb 7, 2014 8:41 am

I've had the occasional cashier who would ring me up, but about 95% of the time they point to the "cash only" print. Meanwhile, I generally have no problem buying VGCs and Univision cards with a CC because they do not have the "cash only" print.

HefeSD Feb 7, 2014 9:00 am

There is some discussion about reloadits in the Tmobile prepaid card thread. Some reports of seeing the new card on racks. Definitely YMMV about buying with a CC. I was able to coax a cashier at a socal grocery store yesterday into letting buy the old version with a cc.

pier11 Feb 7, 2014 9:10 am

Originally Posted by flyertalkingallday (Post 22304449)
I've had the occasional cashier who would ring me up, but about 95% of the time they point to the "cash only" print. Meanwhile, I generally have no problem buying VGCs and Univision cards with a CC because they do not have the "cash only" print.

I was pointed to the "cash only" print just yesterday. As the only thing they care about is that wording on the card. Wasted trip to the store...

silver4300 Feb 7, 2014 9:23 am

Originally Posted by jonnyd13 (Post 22304405)
It absolutely matters what the cashier thinks and is willing to do. There are many times when a cashier will refuse to ring up a card because in their head, it is cash only, despite the register allowing it.

This happened to me at a go to grocery store last week. I returned the next day and simply went to a different cashier who didn't bat an eye.

If the register is hard coded for cash only, it doesn't matter what the cashier is willing to do. S/he can try to ring it up on CC, but the register will block the sale. There is no way for a cashier to override a hard-coded register. If they intentionally tried to hack their way past a hardcoded register they would likely lose their job and be prosecuted.

MaineCoon Feb 7, 2014 9:50 am

I am quite confident that registers of the major grocery chain in CA are NOT hard coded for cash-only on those cards.

Anything over $500 will require manager override. So if you found a willing cashier, make it $495+$3.95 fee.

jk2 Feb 7, 2014 12:45 pm

I'm interested to see what kind of BP ReloadIt will offer.

On other hand, did anybody recently get TheReachCard or Vision Prepaid? Both are reloadable via Reloadits, offer BP. I have both of them, they are very useful for my MS activity. However, I noticed (it is more than 1 month) that when I click "get your card" it does not take you to sign up page but rather the same homepage reappears. Did they shutdown new sign-ups (both are Bancorp products)? I don't think they blacklist my IP address.

Can anybody try if you could see sign up page (just curious)?
http://www.thereachcard.com/
http://www.visionprepaid.com/