Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Vanilla MO problems...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by chubbuni13
Several WM's I've been to have explicitly stated that they won't take debit cards for MO's or BB loads without raised numbers and a name on the card.
Seems to be spreading. Had this happen at three stores in Dallas for the first time this weekend.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA, USAir
Several WM's I've been to have explicitly stated that they won't take debit cards for MO's or BB loads without raised numbers and a name on the card. This is not a good sign, although I showed her my paypal debit card and then employed some sleight of hand to put the One Vanilla card through when swiping my cards... so I know it's not hard coded, probably just a store to store policy - so far.
Wonder if investing in a embossing machine would be fruitful...

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Card-Em...+card+embosser
Old Apr 20, 2014, 11:10 pm

I've used OV at least several times a week and four cards each time to buy MOs. Never any problem. Also four cards can get u $2000 worth of MOs without an SAR form. Anything over four can require filling out SAR.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by Fico2Go
I've used OV at least several times a week and four cards each time to buy MOs. Never any problem. Also four cards can get u $2000 worth of MOs without an SAR form. Anything over four can require filling out SAR.
My understanding is that buying $2k-$2,999.99 in MOs may result in a SAR if the transaction is deemed "suspicious" (completely subjective). $3k and over and a SAR must be filed. So if you really want to be safe from SARs when buying MOs, keep it to $1,999.99 and under.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
My understanding is that buying $2k-$2,999.99 in MOs may result in a SAR if the transaction is deemed "suspicious" (completely subjective). $3k and over and a SAR must be filed. So if you really want to be safe from SARs when buying MOs, keep it to $1,999.99 and under.
Why on earth would a SAR be filed for over 3k? Automatically suspicious? That's crazy.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 4:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, UA 1P
This is definitely spreading... pretty much every WM in Socal that I've come across has their cashiers parroting this policy. Going up to Seattle this weekend, hopefully it hasn't spread up there yet. Have $10k OV's I need to liquidate, even if I had to do it on vacation.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
I visited 4 WM's in Richmond, Va., today and none would allow BB loading with OV.
:-(
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Fico2Go
Anything over 4 will fail
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by jimbaum
Wonder if investing in a embossing machine would be fruitful...

http://www.amazon.com/Manual-Card-Em...+card+embosser
Haha, awesome. I get my MOs from grocery stores, but if this ever happens, I will get one of those. It easily pays for itself.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:00 pm

This is definitely spreading... pretty much every WM in Socal that I've come across has their cashiers parroting this policy. Going up to Seattle this weekend, hopefully it hasn't spread up there yet. Have $10k OV's I need to liquidate, even if I had to do it on vacation.
Is this hard coded on register or Cashier asked to check your Debit card?
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by metoo
Is this hard coded on register or Cashier asked to check your Debit card?
A think the registers are still fine. For me, cashiers asked me to hand cards over so they could examine them. My cashiers have obviously had a fire lit under them about this. They go into high alert mode as soon as they hear $500 and split payment. I think that's the trigger. It happened at all my WM last Saturday, before that, no problems at all in my area.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by bribro
$1999.99 and $2000.00 is any less suspicious? C'mon man. I haven't heard anything about $2K or less being filed as a SAR.

Last edited by ericdabbs; Apr 25, 2014 at 11:42 pm
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
It has spread to Seattle.
One WM is virtually halted for MS as the cashiers are instructed to inspect debit cards and swipe them on the register. No name..no swipe
The others have not gone that far...yet
A turnover in cashiers will do much to help a fading of the get tough policy.
...or is that just wishful thinking.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Actually, I wonder if a labeling machine with small fonts would pass inspection as far as name is concerned.
Nothing wrong with putting your name on your card in case you lose it.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by aGeist
Why on earth would a SAR be filed for over 3k? Automatically suspicious? That's crazy.
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
$1999.99 and $2000.00 is any less suspicious? C'mon man. I haven't heard anything about $2K or less being filed as a SAR.
Are guys you really questioning the logic of government regulations and/or Walmart policies? I'm just relaying how I understand the rules, I don't make them. http://www.fincen.gov/financial_inst...reference.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.