Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One Vanilla MO problems...

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HHonors Diamond
Is it any real surprise that this is happening? When CVS stopped selling VR for credit, everyone turned to WM. They have always had the GC policy and the dramatic increase in BB/MO transactions ran a BIG red flag up that had to be investigated.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by deant
Is it any real surprise that this is happening? When CVS stopped selling VR for credit, everyone turned to WM. They have always had the GC policy and the dramatic increase in BB/MO transactions ran a BIG red flag up that had to be investigated.
I think that's it. Volume at WM spiked up when CVS stopped selling VR for credit. They had to wonder what was going on and wanted to protect themselves. Before that the volume was low enough to not be an issue for them.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:27 pm

Wondering aloud what would be your main reason for preferring Walmart for an MO in the first place? Price? Ability to kiosk without human interaction? Great number of stores?
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K;
Originally Posted by AveApostle
Wondering aloud what would be your main reason for preferring Walmart for an MO in the first place? Price? Ability to kiosk without human interaction? Great number of stores?
For many people, depositing large numbers of MOs is worrisome. Multiple BBs have allowed high levels of MS without a high use of MO.
The ability to bill pay and write checks adds value.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by metoo
Is this hard coded on register or Cashier asked to check your Debit card?
It was hard coded at the register for the WM's in Richmond.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by AveApostle
Convenience. Next to CVS and a block from one of my banks. Pretty maids all in a row.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 9:53 pm

Just as a data point, I liquidated ten OVs via MO yesterday.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by grayland
It has spread to Seattle.
One WM is virtually halted for MS as the cashiers are instructed to inspect debit cards and swipe them on the register. No name..no swipe
The others have not gone that far...yet
A turnover in cashiers will do much to help a fading of the get tough policy.
...or is that just wishful thinking.
The local WMs in my area (NorCal) are checking to make sure "real" debit cards are used now too. This includes several WM associates I have (had) a good rapport with; they said it's a "new" policy. And they know the OV cards aren't "real" debit cards.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by bribro
The local WMs in my area (NorCal) are checking to make sure "real" debit cards are used now too. This includes several WM associates I have (had) a good rapport with; they said it's a "new" policy. And they know the OV cards aren't "real" debit cards.
Old news here in San Jose/Nor Cal - stay away from MC and keep to the registers, longer but safer for loads. For MO, we are essentially in a deep dark hole - but there are a few other options and one or two safe WM - but they are falling fast indeed.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Jetpuffed
It was hard coded at the register for the WM's in Richmond.
Just to check the obvious you sure you haven't hit your limit for the month on BB? I have gotten a "tender now allowed" when I have accidentally crossed the daily/monthly BB limit.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
It hasn't spread where I am yet. But, I'm sure it will since it's being pushed hard by the blogs and that beans are done in most places.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:14 am

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by bribro
Are guys you really questioning the logic of government regulations and/or Walmart policies? I'm just relaying how I understand the rules, I don't make them. http://www.fincen.gov/financial_inst...reference.html
That link provides a good summary; I was starting to think I have to hunt one down to post in here, but you've got it. The keyword for all but the money transfer transactions is "cash".
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Anything over 4 will fail
This reminds me of something about which I've been wondering: what happens to the cards that have already been swiped and gone through if the transaction ultimately can't be completed? My guess is that it'd be a major pain to make the funds available again.
Old Apr 27, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
Can OV's be loaded to MVD's and then cash advanced at a bank? Seems last year I was CA and depositing to my account from my MVD, Just can't remember how I was loading it!

JudyJFLA
Old Apr 27, 2014, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by JudyJFLA
Can OV's be loaded to MVD's and then cash advanced at a bank? Seems last year I was CA and depositing to my account from my MVD, Just can't remember how I was loading it!

JudyJFLA
You were probably loading it with vanilla reload cards.

FWIW, I asked at WM today whether it would be possible load MVD, and was told yes, for a $3.95 fee. I did not actually try it myself, because all of my MVD cards have been shut down. If you haven't been using it for a while, you may want to check out the MVD thread. It seems like over the past couple months they have been shutting down cards pretty much immediately for various reasons. Then it can sometimes be a hassle to get your money out. Personally (and I think I'm not alone) I've given up using that system because it's just not worth the effort.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.