Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2016, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by carlosmendia
I am having same issue, its been happening for last 2 weeks or so, my wife will to to branch today and deposit
Is your 5/3 under your wife's name only?

Have you yourself tried depositing to your wife's account?

My 5/3 is under my wife's name.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AA XPlat
since late 2015, Citizens Bank ATMs in MA do not accept MG or WU MOs
spits them back out, they have to be deposited in person with a teller (unless you've got some night-deposit stuff going on )

Originally Posted by bar19900
I too can add that Citizens works well with MG.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Some of the ATMs for 5/3 can be wonky. First step is to have the account numbers up and on the right, and if it cant read them, to flip them around so they are up and to the left REGARDLESS of the instructions on the ATM. If that doesn't work, you will need to find another ATM. It probably wont recognize the amount on MG MOs, but it will on WU MOs, and even so you can just enter in the amount manually.

Mobile App has problems recognizing MG MOs, but not WU. Mobile App for depositing MOs is ok, not great, ATMs though are fantastic.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:24 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
[deleted]

Last edited by shitrus; Jun 2, 2016 at 11:56 am Reason: dewp
Old Jun 1, 2016, 9:46 am

Flipping the MO helps at many different ATMs. Also, in my experience, putting some small bends at different places in the MOs will, I think, help the reader separate them. I fan them out and then crease/uncrease. Might just be superstition though.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Is your 5/3 under your wife's name only?

Have you yourself tried depositing to your wife's account?

My 5/3 is under my wife's name.
its a joint account, I have been trying on my android phone and my wife on her iphone and nothing works
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by shitrus
Some of the ATMs for 5/3 can be wonky. First step is to have the account numbers up and on the right, and if it cant read them, to flip them around so they are up and to the left REGARDLESS of the instructions on the ATM. If that doesn't work, you will need to find another ATM. It probably wont recognize the amount on MG MOs, but it will on WU MOs, and even so you can just enter in the amount manually.

Mobile App has problems recognizing MG MOs, but not WU. Mobile App for depositing MOs is ok, not great, ATMs though are fantastic.
Sweet. Thanks for all for all of the tips!
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
western union money order charge back?

I ATM deposited 4x$499 Western Union Money orders to Bank of America on 4/13/2016,
on 6/1/2016, BOA put 4*499 charge back plus 4*$12 RETURNED ITEM CHARGEBACK FEE
to my account with the image on the money orders deposited on 4/13.

I called the tracking number of Western Union and was told all of the 4 money orders were cashed on 4/15/2016. I called BOA and a clueless CSR told me to contact Western Union...I told him I already did and Western Union didn't charge back. but he insisted me to get money from Western Union. I am not sure what I can do to get my $2k back.
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by coolguy100

I ATM deposited 4x$499 Western Union Money orders to Bank of America on 4/13/2016,

I called the tracking number of Western Union and was told all of the 4 money orders were cashed on 4/15/2016. I called BOA and a clueless CSR told me to contact Western Union...I told him I already did and Western Union didn't charge back. but he insisted me to get money from Western Union. I am not sure what I can do to get my $2k back.
Try depositing to another bank?
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:33 am

you'd possibly get good results by going to your BoA branch, ask to speak to a supervisor. You can then call WU while you're there if the bank personnel wish to clarify issue with them. Once everything is clarified, you'd likely get the chargeback fee reversed and the $1996 will be credited to your account. IME, issues like this are dealt with in person instead of just calling.

good luck!
Old Jun 4, 2016, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
you'd possibly get good results by going to your BoA branch, ask to speak to a supervisor. You can then call WU while you're there if the bank personnel wish to clarify issue with them. Once everything is clarified, you'd likely get the chargeback fee reversed and the $1996 will be credited to your account. IME, issues like this are dealt with in person instead of just calling.

good luck!
really good advice. I am going to a branch now.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 6:51 am

really good advice. I am going to a branch now.
went to a local branch and talked with a banker. he called internal help and the internal rep also got puzzled by the charge back on money orders cashed by bank of america a month and half ago already. the banker eventually opened an internal investigation case to trace what is happening. hopefully, I can get my $2k back.

another separate incident already occurred a while back on me with BOA MO deposit. there was also a charge back of $499 money order deposit. they posted the charged back money order image to my account, I called western union and found out that money order was cashed already. I did my own research and found out what was going on. I deposited 3 western union MO and one money gram MO that day. the Money gram image was not caught in the system and went though the crack uncashed ever. BOA messed up and put an cashed MO image to my account. branch banker said they can open an case to find the missing money gram physical MO and redeposit, but who knows how long it takes. so I took care of it myself with the MO stub/receipt to get the money back from money gram ($18 processing fee).

we need to be really careful with BOA ATM and keep all the receipts for several months.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 7:40 am

went to a local branch and talked with a banker. he called internal help and the internal rep also got puzzled by the charge back on money orders cashed by bank of america a month and half ago already. the banker eventually opened an internal investigation case to trace what is happening. hopefully, I can get my $2k back.

another separate incident already occurred a while back on me with BOA MO deposit. there was also a charge back of $499 money order deposit. they posted the charged back money order image to my account, I called western union and found out that money order was cashed already. I did my own research and found out what was going on. I deposited 3 western union MO and one money gram MO that day. the Money gram image was not caught in the system and went though the crack uncashed ever. BOA messed up and put an cashed MO image to my account. branch banker said they can open an case to find the missing money gram physical MO and redeposit, but who knows how long it takes. so I took care of it myself with the MO stub/receipt to get the money back from money gram ($18 processing fee).

we need to be really careful with BOA ATM and keep all the receipts for several months.
Has this happen with a WU MO at a US Bank ATM. Deposited 3k in MG MO that went through just fine but a WU MO was charged back the next day. Wasn't charged a fee and a month and a half later the deposit reappeared.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Thanks, any idea about Post Office MOs? Have you tried those?
Just tried it - nope.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:48 pm

Any recent data points on UFB regarding MOs via online app? Last one was from early 2014. And is it savings or checking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.