Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:56 pm

How's Charles Schwab? Do they place long holds or inform you before the deposit if there's going to be a hold? I opened an account with them a few weeks ago to use the debit card overseas but it's not that important.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by diseased
How's Charles Schwab? Do they place long holds or inform you before the deposit if there's going to be a hold? I opened an account with them a few weeks ago to use the debit card overseas but it's not that important.
I am limited to depositing $1k per day to my checking account. I have been depositing WM MO of $999.30 per day which is put on hold for the day and cleared the next day. If need to, I can deposit to my Wells Fargo account through the ATM with no problem. Pretty convenient set up I have for myself between Schwab and WF.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by diseased
I used schwab for several months but they eventually shut down my mobile deposit ability. Account remains open though. I'm not gonna bother them because I do like the ability to transfer money in for withdrawal overseas.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by toesknees
I am limited to depositing $1k per day to my checking account. I have been depositing WM MO of $999.30 per day which is put on hold for the day and cleared the next day. If need to, I can deposit to my Wells Fargo account through the ATM with no problem. Pretty convenient set up I have for myself between Schwab and WF.
How long have you been doing that? When you go to "deposit" is the limit shown for monthly or daily gross? It showed 10k and I deposited 1k.

Originally Posted by CFFrost
I used schwab for several months but they eventually shut down my mobile deposit ability. Account remains open though. I'm not gonna bother them because I do like the ability to transfer money in for withdrawal overseas.
How much were you depositing?

Oan, I completely forgot about USAA's deposit@home feature for MG. I let that account sit unused for almost a month since it's been hard out here getting WU mo's.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by toesknees
Are you doing MG MOs from WM at your WF ATM? What volume do you do? Any problems? WF and a Colorado First Bank are the only banks close to me, everything else is a 30min+ drive for Chase (which I'm too afraid to do) and then another 10mins additional for the next bank.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:17 am

Request USAA Update

Most of the USAA related posts in this thread date back to 2014.

Since the demise of Serve, I'm contemplating MS with MO's and depositing into USAA via the mobile app. Are there any limits or concerns?

Thanks for your replies.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by atc1

Since the demise of Serve, I'm contemplating MS with MO's and depositing into USAA via the mobile app. Are there any limits or concerns?

Thanks for your replies.
The biggest concern would be a lifetime blacklist from one of the best financial institutions and insurers in the country. Consider whether this is worth the risk.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Looks like Simple no longer accepts USPS money order deposit via smart phone, must be mailed in.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Superorb
Are you doing MG MOs from WM at your WF ATM? What volume do you do? Any problems? WF and a Colorado First Bank are the only banks close to me, everything else is a 30min+ drive for Chase (which I'm too afraid to do) and then another 10mins additional for the next bank.
I have been depositing between 2-3K/week in MOs into my WF account since January when I lost my birds. Sometimes I do it through the drive-thru, sometimes at the ATM. Prior to that, I'd deposit an MO here and there into that account. I've had this account for at least 15 years.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by monalisa1506
I have been depositing between 2-3K/week in MOs into my WF account since January when I lost my birds. Sometimes I do it through the drive-thru, sometimes at the ATM. Prior to that, I'd deposit an MO here and there into that account. I've had this account for at least 15 years.
Thanks for the DP.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 3:57 pm

Has anyone have experience with deposits at HSBC?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 9:06 pm

Tried MG and WU at WF Saturday and I had to manually enter the amount for each, though I've never deposited into a WF ATM before so this may be normal. The MG MO said they needed to inspect it and will likely result in a hold. Also, I opened my WF account 150 days ago which is one month shy of the 180 day >$1,000/day so ho knows whats up. I should have looked here before depositing more than that, so that's my fault if it's the case.

ETA: Looks like the daily limit os for mobile deposits only. I don't know if there's any kind of ATM deposit limit.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by atc1

Thanks for your replies.
I've been depositing a decent volume of MOs via mobile for a few months. They have not had any problems with it so far. I did a lot of research beforehand and was not able to find any incidences of people being shut down by USAA for MS related activity. I am not guaranteeing anything and will diversify my MO banks somewhat, but just wanted to provide a data point.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by pointchaser93
I've been depositing a decent volume of MOs via mobile for a few months. They have not had any problems with it so far. I did a lot of research beforehand and was not able to find any incidences of people being shut down by USAA for MS related activity. I am not guaranteeing anything and will diversify my MO banks somewhat, but just wanted to provide a data point.
I had an account froze by them and so have other members if you read back. Its not a freeforall.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by bar19900
I had an account froze by them and so have other members if you read back. Its not a freeforall.
I read through the entire thread, and I didn't see any reports of adverse action. I'll admit I could have missed those posts. Can you link them, please?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.