Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Old May 13, 2016, 8:40 am

LMCU called me yesterday. The guy indicated to me that they had an issue with a member using mobile deposit in a fraudulent manner so they are disabling that feature on my account as I deposit "a lot of these" but that I am welcome to mail them in

So no account closure (as of yet) and they claim they just need the actual money order from now on

Not sure whether I will bother. I am 2.5 hours from the nearest branch so that is pretty much ruled out
Old May 13, 2016, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
So far, no email from LMCU.

How often were you depositing?

Were you keeping a balance to max out the 3%?
I was depositing 5 times a month amounting to $5000. Nope.
Old May 17, 2016, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by CWAL
You seriously purchased $50k without a plan to close the loop?

Wow. Just... Wow...
deposited 11k to chase, 11k to Astoria bank, 16k to another credit union, used the rest to pay a boa credit card. boa was the worst, they called some usps number to verify every single money order, took forever!
Old May 17, 2016, 12:57 pm

Datapoint, 2 successful WU deposits to 2 different Huntington ATMs in CMH. No issues, except one ATM had me enter the amount and the other ATM auto-detected it.
Old May 18, 2016, 6:47 pm

Anyone having issues with the Penfed app? I had maxed out my "comfortable deposit limit" at other banks so I had to use Penfed. It had a hard time accepting USPS MOs. The app would shut down either right before the first pic or before the second citing camera issues or pull the "amount entered doesn't match" crap like it does with MG.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by bland white IT guy
Datapoint, 2 successful WU deposits to 2 different Huntington ATMs in CMH. No issues, except one ATM had me enter the amount and the other ATM auto-detected it.
Enjoy it while it lasts. I got shutdown by huntington after a while.
Old May 18, 2016, 7:53 pm

Any recent DCU data points?
Old May 18, 2016, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by diseased
Anyone having issues with the Penfed app? I had maxed out my "comfortable deposit limit" at other banks so I had to use Penfed. It had a hard time accepting USPS MOs. The app would shut down either right before the first pic or before the second citing camera issues or pull the "amount entered doesn't match" crap like it does with MG.
I've done a few MOs at Penfed, and all of the USPS ones worked as easily as normal checks. MG is a disaster, but USPS has never been a problem. It's been a couple weeks since I've done one though, maybe the app updated for the worse?
Old May 19, 2016, 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Joshy119
Any recent DCU data points?
Yes, DCU accepts WU and MG. My account is still less than 30 days old so all my deposits have to be approved by someone but that it usually very quick. BP is also very quick as well. My only beef is that the endorsement of the MO is a lot longer than other banks but it is a small gripe.
Old May 19, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by xlax
Saw the datapoint regarding atm, but wondering about mobile. TIA.

xlax
Just got this message from Santander:

"We're writing to inform you about a change to your Mobile Banking App. As of 4/20/16, U.S. Postal Money Orders are no longer accepted for deposit by Santander's Mobile Check Deposit service. This change is reflected in your Online Banking Agreement. Rest assured, you can continue to deposit U.S. Postal Money Orders at any Santander branch or ATM."
Old May 19, 2016, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by lmagnott
Just got this message from Santander:

"We're writing to inform you about a change to your Mobile Banking App. As of 4/20/16, U.S. Postal Money Orders are no longer accepted for deposit by Santander's Mobile Check Deposit service. This change is reflected in your Online Banking Agreement. Rest assured, you can continue to deposit U.S. Postal Money Orders at any Santander branch or ATM."
And you got the message a full month after the change?
Old May 19, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by CWAL
And you got the message a full month after the change?
The email was dated May 7th, but it went to a junk folder, so I just saw it.
Old May 20, 2016, 4:11 pm

I Dropped a $499 money order along with a few others MO's in PNC today. It didn't ask me to confirm the amount for that one and I didn't pay attention to the total transaction amount; (It looked normal). When I got my receipt it showed that $497 was deposited for the $499 Money order.

I assume the ATM misread the money order? I'm not worried about it, just wondering what will happen? (I'd prefer nothing, to not bring attention to my account.)
Old May 20, 2016, 5:56 pm

Simple told me no more MO will be accepted on my account, they said that I was doing "manufacturing spend" which is against their terms of use. I was only doing about $8k per month
Old May 20, 2016, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Anyone having any issues with Simple?

Just got the following message:

The odd thing is both myself and SO have accounts. Just started using each account. 1 account no problem, but the other encountered a reject message first and then after resubmitting go this message which almost makes it seems like they no longer accept MGs.
Yesterday they rejected 2 of MO that I deposited, today when I called them they said pattern on my account was for "manufacturing spend" which was a violation of their terms so I am not allowed to deposit MO

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.