Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by mhdena
It's amazing how many people here think this OK to do.

Having real money on deposit will enable the "know your customer" rule to be in effect even if you don't step foot in the bank/CU and allow MO deposits to made.
from a lot of posts I've read, they have no choice since they have no money of their own deposited in those banks. They don't really mind huge withdrawals if they're taken from money that's been sitting in depositor's account for weeks, if not months. Once they noticed a new account depositing thousands mostly in MOs and soon as those clear, they're taken out, they are flagged immediately for closure.

many newbies who engage in MS don't have huge deposits in their bank accounts. soon as their accounts are opened, they start depositing one to a few thousand MOs and withdrawing them as soon as they clear, these are the accounts that trip the bank's radar. banks can exercise their right to close such accounts they find them suspicious. I understand why MSers w/d them to pay their CC bills but from the bank's end, they definitely look suspicious.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by tmac3250
hi~ anyone try deposit MO in Huntington ATM recently?
I try couple times this weekend for my WU MO. But the ATM keep returning my MO.
No problem last week.
THx!

I tried a WU MO at a Huntington this morning and the ATM kept rejecting it. I might try a MG version at some point.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I had a conversation with one of the friendly bank managers who I asked if I have to open a small business checking for my deposits. She said it was up to me but there was no need because they use KYC (know your customer) as their basis for people who bank with them. Since I've banked with them for years now, they know my deposit/withdraw pattern so I can just keep depositing all my checks to my personal c/a. She said if I needed to open a business C/A, that'll be fine, too.

She went further saying they had customers they suspected of doing ML who opened new accounts, deposited huge amounts and then withdrew them in huge batches in a week or so. I didn't pry how huge those deposits were They closed those accounts soon as they noticed the pattern.
I don't totally agree with that. Business accounts are specifically designed to take MO's. I think a bank wouldn't think twice about 5-10k deposited. It's the withdrawals that catch an eye.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: All of Them
Just tried to deposit a Money Gram MO at both the local USAA ATM and then on the app after the ATM rejected it. Tried WU MO and no problems. I have not had any problems with MG in the past on app, anyone else?
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Richklhs
Just tried to deposit a Money Gram MO at both the local USAA ATM and then on the app after the ATM rejected it. Tried WU MO and no problems. I have not had any problems with MG in the past on app, anyone else?
Since the most recent update or the one before that, the app has been horrible for MG. I was able to get one by putting it on the absolute blackest surface I had, but I've specifically had to move away from USAA because of this change.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:52 pm

Can I use Citi app to deposit a moneygram mo bought from Walmart? Is it safe to deposit MOs into Cities Gold account?
Old Apr 20, 2016, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Phantom707
Since the most recent update or the one before that, the app has been horrible for MG. I was able to get one by putting it on the absolute blackest surface I had, but I've specifically had to move away from USAA because of this change.
Same issues here - used to work on the first or 2nd try every time. Sometimes it literally takes 10 tries now.
Old Apr 21, 2016, 7:46 am

Thanks for the wiki. I'm now using DCU to deposit WU and MG. Although the endorsement is a bit long, the MO's clear immediately.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:36 pm

Anyone having any issues with Simple?

Just got the following message:
The MoneyGram Money Order you submitted for $XXX.XX can’t be deposited with photo deposit. If you'd like to deposit these funds into your account, please mail them for processing.

Please endorse the Money Order, write “for deposit only” and your account number under your endorsement, and mail it to:
Simple, PO Box 15329
Wilmington, DE 19885 - 5329

We recommend that you send your Money Order using certified mail so that you have a tracking number. That way you’ll know when it arrives at the bank and you'll have a better sense of when it will post to your account. It will likely take at least a week from the time that you mail the Money Order to see the funds in your account.

Thanks,
Simple
The odd thing is both myself and SO have accounts. Just started using each account. 1 account no problem, but the other encountered a reject message first and then after resubmitting go this message which almost makes it seems like they no longer accept MGs.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 10:42 am

Is anyone using be be and tee? I'm considering signing up but account terms say they don't accept money orders. Wiki says differently though.

"The following check types can be submitted using Mobile Check Deposit:

Personal checks payable to you
Business checks payable to you
Checks drawn from a United States bank
The following check types should not be submitted using Mobile Check Deposit:

Traveler's checks
Savings bonds
Money orders
Federal government checks
Foreign checks
Checks payable to any person or entity other than you"
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:51 pm

Curious if anyone here uses Suntrust Mobile Deposit. I tried a WU MO today and the app rejected the MO. I haven't yet tried a MG MO.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by jonathoneskel
Is anyone using be be and tee? I'm considering signing up but account terms say they don't accept money orders. Wiki says differently though.

Traveler's checks
Savings bonds
Money orders
Foreign checks
Had no problems with a WU money order via mobile deposit. Did not try any others.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by jonathoneskel

Traveler's checks
Savings bonds
Money orders
Foreign checks
ATM's in NC do not accept MO's. Every time I try it would always get rejected. If you can find an ATM that still does envelopes that would work.

Originally Posted by BrownHP800
Had no problems with a WU money order via mobile deposit. Did not try any others.
Wow, wasn't aware they took mobile MOs...gonna try that now have a bunch of WUs.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:27 am

Another datapoint -- used BoA ATM to deposit MG MO to Merrill Lynch CMA. Took about 7 business days to clear.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 3:33 pm

Anyone have any references on banks that have issues with Post Office MOs? My MG sources are dying a slow death and I seem to remember some issues with the Post Office MOs not having a signature on the front.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.