Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a historic thread. Recent discussion on this topic is available here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819582-banks-allow-money-order-deposits-via-smartphone-atm-2017-a-4.html

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)
  • DCU
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    No limit known. User experience: $5k/day. Posts instantly. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MG.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Clearview FCU

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Chase
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Ally
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Vanguard
  • Fidelity MySmart Cash
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • PNC (Ref)
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED)
    user experience: <2k (Ref)
    ?2 days to post (Ref)
    ?terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)

Via ATM:
  • Capital One - automatic amount detection (at least for Western Union), posts within 1-3 days
  • Chase
    about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref)
  • BoA
    may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • WF
    type in the amounts manually (Ref)
  • Huntington
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2014-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2016, 7:38 am

Applied for and was accepted at DCU per multiple data points here and elsewhere that they are mobile MO deposit friendly. Didn't like eating the hard pull or lack of account sign on bonus but......

Anything I should be wary of? It looks as though I am a few days from being up and running as they are sending me my log in information etc

A few questions

- what MO work best? I have best access to USPS and WU money orders

- shutdown data points are sparse, as are daily limit data points

- anything I should know? ACH push/pull limits etc?

Any kind soul willing to PM me or post here would be appreciatted. I will return the favor when/if I can
Old Mar 21, 2016, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Joshy119
Applied for and was accepted at DCU per multiple data points here and elsewhere that they are mobile MO deposit friendly. Didn't like eating the hard pull or lack of account sign on bonus but......

Anything I should be wary of? It looks as though I am a few days from being up and running as they are sending me my log in information etc

A few questions

- what MO work best? I have best access to USPS and WU money orders

- shutdown data points are sparse, as are daily limit data points

- anything I should know? ACH push/pull limits etc?

Any kind soul willing to PM me or post here would be appreciatted. I will return the favor when/if I can
Once your account is set , you need to call the support for registering mobile deposit. They will set the limit

For me it was 1000$ per day , 5000 $ per month. It takes both MG and WU.

Please share any other bank / credit union who accepts online registration and ok with 5k MO per month volume with mobile deposits.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:13 pm

Jeez

Hoping for MORE than that
Old Mar 21, 2016, 1:50 pm

Jeez

Hoping for MORE than that

Yeah wasting a hard pull for just 5 k a month liquidation is quite waste of HP.

But i got that account before knowing abt this hobby and for an auto loan.

The initial limit was set to 5k/ month for me.

But i think they may increase the limit if requested and may be need to provide a valid reason.

I havent gone to that level of MS.

Good luck. But start slow initially
Old Mar 21, 2016, 6:06 pm

Bank of the West is a no go.
Old Mar 21, 2016, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Anyone have any luck with mailing about 5K in MOs to either Ally or Discover every week? I need to start looking at my backup options as a few CUs just shut me down. A little worried about Discover though as I do have a CC with them.
I do about $2k a month with discover using their mail in. I know someone who was doing close to $5k in a month and was shut down. My advise - don't be in bad books of Citi, Dis, BOA & Chase.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by anubond005
I do about $2k a month with discover using their mail in. I know someone who was doing close to $5k in a month and was shut down. My advise - don't be in bad books of Citi, Dis, BOA & Chase.
How quickly do your MOs make it into your Discover account? I may need to mail some into Ally and Discover but am worried about fretting over the mail.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cdog999
How quickly do your MOs make it into your Discover account? I may need to mail some into Ally and Discover but am worried about fretting over the mail.
Ally takes like a week and a half and a human goes through every single deposit. Not worth it.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan
Ally takes like a week and a half and a human goes through every single deposit. Not worth it.
Thanks. Testing out the process with 2. If I have it in my account by next Friday maybe I'll do it again.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
Yeah wasting a hard pull for just 5 k a month liquidation is quite waste of HP.

But i got that account before knowing abt this hobby and for an auto loan.

The initial limit was set to 5k/ month for me.

But i think they may increase the limit if requested and may be need to provide a valid reason.

I havent gone to that level of MS.

Good luck. But start slow initially
Hmmm... 5k a month should be a steady $200+/mo with the right card. How is that a waste? After a few months it beats any CC signup bonus out there that you would take 1-3 HP for, and it keeps on giving. Am I missing something?
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by dethkultur
Hmmm... 5k a month should be a steady $200+/mo with the right card. How is that a waste? After a few months it beats any CC signup bonus out there that you would take 1-3 HP for, and it keeps on giving. Am I missing something?
You can get the same capability elsewhere without the HP.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 12:42 pm

Beware DCU. They jerked me around for about 6 weeks after I opened my accounts. Had me fax in copies of SS Card, bill, driver's license. Then eventually I talked with someone that said that I had opened too many checking accounts so I'd be better served elsewhere. I wouldn't waste my time and HP with them.

Its the only place that did a HP on me + the only place where I was never able to deposit a single MO. Plus they will tell you that they are sending information in the mail or they will call you "in a few days" but then it will never happen. I'm avoiding any bank that does a HP in the future now because of this (like LCMU). DCU is probably the most unprofessional place I've ever dealt with.
Old Mar 22, 2016, 1:17 pm

Update for those considering an Eastern Bank account. I talked with their chat.

"Unfortunately, money orders are not accepted through the mobile app. "

Too bad... Only way to do a deposit there is at a branch or one of their actual ATMs (not a SUM-ATM which is their partner atm)
Old Mar 22, 2016, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by dethkultur
Thats IF you can max it out. But handling the money order really isn't same as receiving back awards. It is a moving part/neccesary piece of the equation

- I will report back my experiences with it. If it ends up being a wasted hard pull, then lesson learned. Felt like I read so much about how they were good in quite a few spots..perhaps I should of done more research though

Haven't wasted a hard pull yet so I guess I am due
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:05 am

Thats IF you can max it out. But handling the money order really isn't same as receiving back awards. It is a moving part/neccesary piece of the equation

- I will report back my experiences with it. If it ends up being a wasted hard pull, then lesson learned. Felt like I read so much about how they were good in quite a few spots..perhaps I should of done more research though

Haven't wasted a hard pull yet so I guess I am due

I am having no issues with depositing MO with DCU mobile app , but instead of wasting HP for DCU (5000) ,try out some local credit unions who may just check Chex and u can also go their atm and deposit the MO.

But depositing MO at home is definitely convenient

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.