Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Warning: The T-M website contains an apparent Bill Pay function. Attempting to use it to pay credit card bills, or probably any significant $ amount bills of any sort, will get your account frozen. Ditto large scale ATM or MO withdrawals. The one method of unloading likely to keep you under the radar is small scale WM BP. Also likely to get you shut down, according to consensus reports, is running much more than $5K a month thru your account. You ignore this advice at your own risk.

SUMMARY

1. FAQ's
2. Free to use for TMo customers.
3. Issued by Bancorp
4. Load at T-mobile store (Registers are HARD CODED not to accept anything other than cash.)
5. or Reloadit, (find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc)

List Stores hard coded for cash or Credit Card accepted
T-Mobile (cash only)
Home Depot (cash only, hard coded)
Harris Teeter - Bought with CC on 2/16/14, hard coded denied CC on 5 APR 2014
Winn-Dixie - Hard coded for cash (debit may work, untested) as of Oct-2015
Meijer (Cash/Debit including VGC)
Giant Eagle/GetGo (Cash, Debit including VGC )
Safeways/Vons/Pavilions in California - most only Cash
Food Lion - Manager override now required. Many stores cash or bank debit only, but registers are not hard coded.
Save-A-Lot: Hard coded cash only
BigY: At least some stores have gone cash only as of 1/8
Acme in PA: Hard-coded cash only (Source)

Note on ReloadIt Cards
These come in two main flavors, up to $500, and up to $950 (there are ones that go up to $50, too). Both are $3.95 load fee. The older grey cards, have CASH ONLY on them. Even if the cash register is coded to accept it, many cashiers will be hesitant to even try, or get shut down by manager.
The maximum value reload will be $2,500.00. There is no maximum number of times you may value reload your Card Account per day; however, the maximum dollar amount of value reloads you may make to your Card Account in one day is $2,500.00. We will accept direct deposits larger than $2,500.00, but any direct deposit value reloaded to your Card Account will count against the $2,500.00 daily limit.
Value Reload Fee: Each time you value reload $300.00 or more to your Card Account in a single transaction, you will receive a credit for any fee you paid. If you are a T-Mobile Wireless Customer and value reload your Card Account at a participating T-Mobile Wireless location, you will receive a refund at the register (and will pay no fee for your value reload). If you value reload your Card Account for $300.00 or more via another method, we will issue a credit to your Card Account in the amount of the fee you paid.

In practice, a ReloadIt >= $300 loaded via the safe will receive credit for the fee. However, the terms formally state "Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Managers Reloadit `Safe' are not eligible for any fee credit." so this is not guaranteed.

The Limits:
Daily limit: $2500 during a rolling 24 hour period
Monthly limit: ?
Annual Limit: ?
Max Bill Pay (per transaction): = $5000 (tested March 6th, can do 'at least' a second for the same amount to the same payee momment later).
Daily ATM limit: $500 (rolling 24 hr rather than calendar day)

Total monthly bill pay limit: ?
The maximum value of your Card Account is restricted to $10,000.00

T-Mobile Prepaid Customer Service Email: [email protected]

If you need to escalate to the FDIC, Bancorp's registered FDIC# is 35444.
If you want to try to open an FDIC complaint or investigation you can send one in electronically at
http://www2.fdic.gov/IDASP/DIRSInfoRequest.asp

Alternative FDIC link to file complaint
https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp

FAQ
  • My fee did not get refunded. Has there been a policy change? ReloadIt Fees are processed overnight and could take 24 hours after you reload the card. As of 9/2015, ReloadIt cards added to the safe prior to loading on T-Mobile will still get the $3.95 refunded.
  • What is a safe transaction amount? There is no definite safe or unsafe amount. However, starting the last week of Jul 2015, people have been reporting the account frozen after transactions larger than $1K.
  • Can I use the BP Feature? It works well for some people. Many have reported getting shutdown after using it. A few have reported having the payments lost. Like all MS activity, use at your own risk.
  • Should I mix in some regular spending to make it look like this is my primary card? If it makes you feel better, go for it. However people who do this still get shutdown.
  • I can't log in. Did I get shutdown? Possibly. But more likely the website is having technical issues. Call in, o try to make a swipe purchase and test it out.
  • If I pay my taxes with this card, will I get shutdown? Large purchase raise red flags. Taxes are no different and there are reports of people being shut down for doing this.
  • What is a T-Mobile wireless customer? A qualifying T-Mobile wireless customer can be either a postpaid or prepaid customer. Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24790705-post3703.html
Print Wikipost

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:36 pm

What is the best alternative to dump ReloadIt cards if your account gets shut down?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
What is the best alternative to dump ReloadIt cards if your account gets shut down?
Evolve
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
That doesn't mean there is no definition which they do find reasonable.

I would wager that 1 Rlit per week at $450 unloaded via a combination of methods (real BP, BP to a CC, debit cashback and ATM) would be deemed reasonable. The trick is to figure out how much beyond that won't trigger the shutdown.

For my part, I've successfully BP to a CC over 2.5k in a month, but never loaded more than $900 in one day. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Cheers

I think loading small amounts is important if you want to slow play it, but if you can can hit it for 30-40K before a shutdown, I think that is the best path...

I did this with paypower, and kept opening accounts when I got shutdown, the website is a copy of paypower.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 11:59 pm

UPDATE: when I called in, there were notes on my account about "rewards abuse." I would have to send in my information to get my account unlocked, and that they would close my account permanently if I were to continue my activity. Wasn't expecting the wording to be so harsh and accusatory, especially when the T&C do not prohibit what we do.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by flyertalkingallday
UPDATE: when I called in, there were notes on my account about "rewards abuse." I would have to send in my information to get my account unlocked, and that they would close my account permanently if I were to continue my activity. Wasn't expecting the wording to be so harsh and accusatory, especially when the T&C do not prohibit what we do.
What did you expect them to say? Loading 20K in 2 months is not "everyday spending". People take this too far and try to justify it which is why this Tmobile thing is shutting down sooner than we expected. The risk dept are not robots they can see you loading 2K/day and then do immediate BP.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:22 am

What did you expect them to say? Loading 20K in 2 months is not "everyday spending". People take this too far and try to justify it which is why this Tmobile thing is shutting down sooner than we expected. The risk dept are not robots they can see you loading 2K/day and then do immediate BP.
I was expecting something more vague along the lines of "suspicious activity" instead of a blunt insinuation of "rewards abuse." Not that most of us didn't expect to be shut down for repeated loading and bill paying (although I did wait for some time before bill paying, similar to what I usually do with PayPal which hasn't suspended or shut me down yet).
Old Mar 18, 2014, 12:32 am

Originally Posted by flyertalkingallday
I was expecting something more vague along the lines of "suspicious activity" instead of a blunt insinuation of "rewards abuse." Not that most of us didn't expect to be shut down for repeated loading and bill paying (although I did wait for some time before bill paying, similar to what I usually do with PayPal which hasn't suspended or shut me down yet).
HAHA..well the note of "suspicious activity" is just sugar coating the situation. Again think about what you have done....$20K in a short period of time. If you weren't suspended you were probably on your way to $40K/month. That is not normal behavior. No reason to take offense to it especially since deep down we know that what we are all essentially doing is "rewards abuse". We would be stupid to deny that we have done no such thing. Sure some people were told it was suspended due to "suspicious activity" but make no mistake about it in that "suspicious activity" and "rewards abuse" lead to the same fate of pretty much a shutdown. All the folks that reported that they were warned of "suspicious activity" all ended up getting shut down anyways.

Its not like your account be noted as "suspicious activity" would have given you the green light to do another $20K in loads with no consequence.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by drdrew450
I think loading small amounts is important if you want to slow play it, but if can hit it for 30-40K before a shutdown, I think that is the best path...
Do you not worry about the other end, getting an FR from one of your credit card companies?

I suppose my approach is to do a reasonable amount of spend on individual vehicles, for a large ongoing aggregate.

Cheers
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Do you not worry about the other end, getting an FR from one of your credit card companies?

I suppose my approach is to do a reasonable amount of spend on individual vehicles, for a large ongoing aggregate.

Cheers
Chase will just shut you down.
AMEX will FR you.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 9:35 am

HAHA..well the note of "suspicious activity" is just sugar coating the situation. Again think about what you have done....$20K in a short period of time. If you weren't suspended you were probably on your way to $40K/month. That is not normal behavior. No reason to take offense to it especially since deep down we know that what we are all essentially doing is "rewards abuse". We would be stupid to deny that we have done no such thing. Sure some people were told it was suspended due to "suspicious activity" but make no mistake about it in that "suspicious activity" and "rewards abuse" lead to the same fate of pretty much a shutdown. All the folks that reported that they were warned of "suspicious activity" all ended up getting shut down anyways.

Its not like your account be noted as "suspicious activity" would have given you the green light to do another $20K in loads with no consequence.
When I was messing with the Paypower prepaid card, they froze my account and made me call their Risk Department. At the time I was doing $2k-3k MO purchases per month and paying several grand of pro-rated income taxes to the IRS. I also made sure to put about $500 of normal purchases on there, like dining, etc.. The CSR asked me to explain those large transactions at a grocery store and payments to the US Treasury. That's right...he considered payments to US Treasury to be suspicious. Next he sternly suggested I should try to make some more regular purchases.

I called him out and and asked what risk exactly are they taking on since they never lend me money, and how the f*** dare they question the nature of purchases made with my own darn money and tell me what I should and shouldn't buy! Cancelled the card the next day.

Moral of the story is, any large transactions will eventually catch up to you so it may go on for 8+ months like it did for me, but eventually you'll all get banned. And doing this on a very small scale is just not worth the time. It's easier to just go buy $5k of anonymous GCs and cash out to MO.

The sad truth about these cards is, any one of us can potentially bring in much more revenue to these dumb prepaid companies than their usual low income customer who at best spends 500-1000 per month. If they turned a blind eye on the MS activity, I would have gladly put a lot of regular spending on it.

Last edited by atxtravel; Mar 18, 2014 at 9:42 am Reason: add info
Old Mar 18, 2014, 10:10 am

The direct number for risk department is (855) 257-2581, option 1.

They left me a voicemail yesterday (about a week after I called in about the block). Called them back today. Told me activity was consistent with "reward boosting". Told them I have no clue what that is. Asked if I bought packs with CC and I said cash only since it says on them cash only. She unblocked me and let me go with a warning. Was very pleasant through the process (less pleasant was the 30 minute wait time even though the phone system said approximate hold time 2 minutes). I have been shut down by Bancorp before so seems like things are not tied together in their system or they didn't check… Good luck, folks.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Im already missing LA, no Vs here in NY. 1 location that worked last Thurs was DOA the next 2 times I went in, but there are so many other places it didnt matter much.

Left my Tm back home so no loading or checking if my acct was still OK till I got back home, its AOK for now at least. Plan is to load no more then $2k a day and to get a 2nd Tm in a friends name to help load the $20K I p/u last week, w/o setting off any flags
Old Mar 18, 2014, 3:16 pm

You should get two new Netspend cards too...
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:23 pm

Anyone in North Carolina (near GSO) having any luck finding Reloadits for sale with a cc? Tried 4 Food Lions today, one would sell with a cc (cashier wasn't paying attention I think), other three told me cash or debit only as soon as I slid my card. Tried two Harris Teeters and they were both cash or debit only as well. Not giving up quite yet, but things aren't looking too hopeful around here.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 5:34 pm

Were these the old reloadits that say cash only or the new ones that dont say that?

Originally Posted by wake1027
Anyone in North Carolina (near GSO) having any luck finding Reloadits for sale with a cc? Tried 4 Food Lions today, one would sell with a cc (cashier wasn't paying attention I think), other three told me cash or debit only as soon as I slid my card. Tried two Harris Teeters and they were both cash or debit only as well. Not giving up quite yet, but things aren't looking too hopeful around here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.