Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Warning: The T-M website contains an apparent Bill Pay function. Attempting to use it to pay credit card bills, or probably any significant $ amount bills of any sort, will get your account frozen. Ditto large scale ATM or MO withdrawals. The one method of unloading likely to keep you under the radar is small scale WM BP. Also likely to get you shut down, according to consensus reports, is running much more than $5K a month thru your account. You ignore this advice at your own risk.

SUMMARY

1. FAQ's
2. Free to use for TMo customers.
3. Issued by Bancorp
4. Load at T-mobile store (Registers are HARD CODED not to accept anything other than cash.)
5. or Reloadit, (find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc)

List Stores hard coded for cash or Credit Card accepted
T-Mobile (cash only)
Home Depot (cash only, hard coded)
Harris Teeter - Bought with CC on 2/16/14, hard coded denied CC on 5 APR 2014
Winn-Dixie - Hard coded for cash (debit may work, untested) as of Oct-2015
Meijer (Cash/Debit including VGC)
Giant Eagle/GetGo (Cash, Debit including VGC )
Safeways/Vons/Pavilions in California - most only Cash
Food Lion - Manager override now required. Many stores cash or bank debit only, but registers are not hard coded.
Save-A-Lot: Hard coded cash only
BigY: At least some stores have gone cash only as of 1/8
Acme in PA: Hard-coded cash only (Source)

Note on ReloadIt Cards
These come in two main flavors, up to $500, and up to $950 (there are ones that go up to $50, too). Both are $3.95 load fee. The older grey cards, have CASH ONLY on them. Even if the cash register is coded to accept it, many cashiers will be hesitant to even try, or get shut down by manager.
The maximum value reload will be $2,500.00. There is no maximum number of times you may value reload your Card Account per day; however, the maximum dollar amount of value reloads you may make to your Card Account in one day is $2,500.00. We will accept direct deposits larger than $2,500.00, but any direct deposit value reloaded to your Card Account will count against the $2,500.00 daily limit.
Value Reload Fee: Each time you value reload $300.00 or more to your Card Account in a single transaction, you will receive a credit for any fee you paid. If you are a T-Mobile Wireless Customer and value reload your Card Account at a participating T-Mobile Wireless location, you will receive a refund at the register (and will pay no fee for your value reload). If you value reload your Card Account for $300.00 or more via another method, we will issue a credit to your Card Account in the amount of the fee you paid.

In practice, a ReloadIt >= $300 loaded via the safe will receive credit for the fee. However, the terms formally state "Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Managers Reloadit `Safe' are not eligible for any fee credit." so this is not guaranteed.

The Limits:
Daily limit: $2500 during a rolling 24 hour period
Monthly limit: ?
Annual Limit: ?
Max Bill Pay (per transaction): = $5000 (tested March 6th, can do 'at least' a second for the same amount to the same payee momment later).
Daily ATM limit: $500 (rolling 24 hr rather than calendar day)

Total monthly bill pay limit: ?
The maximum value of your Card Account is restricted to $10,000.00

T-Mobile Prepaid Customer Service Email: [email protected]

If you need to escalate to the FDIC, Bancorp's registered FDIC# is 35444.
If you want to try to open an FDIC complaint or investigation you can send one in electronically at
http://www2.fdic.gov/IDASP/DIRSInfoRequest.asp

Alternative FDIC link to file complaint
https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp

FAQ
  • My fee did not get refunded. Has there been a policy change? ReloadIt Fees are processed overnight and could take 24 hours after you reload the card. As of 9/2015, ReloadIt cards added to the safe prior to loading on T-Mobile will still get the $3.95 refunded.
  • What is a safe transaction amount? There is no definite safe or unsafe amount. However, starting the last week of Jul 2015, people have been reporting the account frozen after transactions larger than $1K.
  • Can I use the BP Feature? It works well for some people. Many have reported getting shutdown after using it. A few have reported having the payments lost. Like all MS activity, use at your own risk.
  • Should I mix in some regular spending to make it look like this is my primary card? If it makes you feel better, go for it. However people who do this still get shutdown.
  • I can't log in. Did I get shutdown? Possibly. But more likely the website is having technical issues. Call in, o try to make a swipe purchase and test it out.
  • If I pay my taxes with this card, will I get shutdown? Large purchase raise red flags. Taxes are no different and there are reports of people being shut down for doing this.
  • What is a T-Mobile wireless customer? A qualifying T-Mobile wireless customer can be either a postpaid or prepaid customer. Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24790705-post3703.html
Print Wikipost

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:43 pm
Suspended

I have a feeling this could be ok to slow play. I buried the MVDs way back when because I needed to, but I am being very patient with these, using it for regular purchase as well as ATM (with and without fee) and bill pay. Only time will tell I guess. I really just need another $10k for the 100k point AAdvantage card I just got.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by thehawk75
As an aside, I often here folks use this term 'reasonable' when it comes to manufactured spending in general. Often followed the the tired old expression 'pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered'. However I have yet to see one actually define 'reasonable'. Plus more often than not we later find out that same someone who thought they were sticking within 'reasonable' limits still weren't 'reasonable enough' to prevent adverse action...
I tend to agree.

Some reports on this thread prove there is no reasonable path.

Unless you do use their card "as intended".

Yeah, right
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:22 pm

2nd shutdown... 2.5k for straight 4 days and BP'd out almost immediately after loads... party over for me. Only left with 5k that I can liquidate via evolve.

did almost 50K on 2 cards (40+10k) in last 4 weeks. 1st shutdown in week 3 second in week 4. Best of all it was free.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by coolblues
2nd shutdown... 2.5k for straight 4 days and BP'd out almost immediately after loads... party over for me. Only left with 5k that I can liquidate via evolve.

did almost 50K on 2 cards (40+10k) in last 4 weeks. 1st shutdown in week 3 second in week 4. Best of all it was free.
well, rest in peace bro

If you used something like WF 5% cashback CC, you have made like el bandito there.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
well, rest in peace bro

If you used something like WF 5% cashback CC, you have made like le bandito there.
well, that's one thing I am ashamed of. No 5% card coz blue cash got denied (6 exp. pulls in last 4.5 months) and looks like one can't get a WF 5% card without green card (atleast that's what I've bene told by a fellow ft'er) that I don't have.
Any recco's for future ?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:39 pm

well, that's one thing I am ashamed of. No 5% card coz blue cash got denied (6 exp. pulls in last 4.5 months) and looks like one can't get a WF 5% card without green card (atleast that's what I've bene told by a fellow ft'er) that I don't have.
Any recco's for future ?
you foreigners..go away from our M$..it is an American game, just like baseball..
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
you foreigners..go away from our M$..it is an American game, just like baseball..
lol....
I blame FT for getting me involved.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by thehawk75
As an aside, I often here folks use this term 'reasonable' when it comes to manufactured spending in general. Often followed the the tired old expression 'pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered'. However I have yet to see one actually define 'reasonable'. Plus more often than not we later find out that same someone who thought they were sticking within 'reasonable' limits still weren't 'reasonable enough' to prevent adverse action...
I define reasonable as $5k a month per card.

Someone loading 2.5k a day, or 40k a month or something like that, implies you are making over $400k, a year, not the client that would use a prepaid.

I am actually working my bancorp clients to find out exactly what they are. =)
Old Mar 15, 2014, 11:19 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC

This.... is not what I would call reasonable. =P

$40k in 4 weeks, implying $480k loaded in one year....
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:02 pm

Getting the "technical difficulties" error message, so I think I was shut down or suspended.

Loaded 10k over a week, then did 2x bill pays. Repeated this process twice for a total of about 20k in loads before I was locked out of my account. I would leave the money in my account for a few days before I would bill pay it out. Left a whole $2 in my account in case they want it.

Last edited by flyertalkingallday; Mar 16, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Old Mar 16, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by maksimfa
I define reasonable as $5k a month per card.

Someone loading 2.5k a day, or 40k a month or something like that, implies you are making over $400k, a year, not the client that would use a prepaid.

I am actually working my bancorp clients to find out exactly what they are. =)
I have loaded one of my accounts $1.5k on one day ,another $1k a week later,BP twice and still got the error message....just $2.5k total...which is by your definition is more than reasonable...AND I'am a T-Mobile customer....just saying
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:54 am

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73
I have loaded one of my accounts $1.5k on one day ,another $1k a week later,BP twice and still got the error message....just $2.5k total...which is by your definition is more than reasonable...AND I'am a T-Mobile customer....just saying
That doesn't mean there is no definition which they do find reasonable.

I would wager that 1 Rlit per week at $450 unloaded via a combination of methods (real BP, BP to a CC, debit cashback and ATM) would be deemed reasonable. The trick is to figure out how much beyond that won't trigger the shutdown.

For my part, I've successfully BP to a CC over 2.5k in a month, but never loaded more than $900 in one day. Take that for whatever it's worth.

Cheers
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:50 pm

Have people been seeing "Cash Only" signs at Safeways and Vons recently?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Have people been seeing "Cash Only" signs at Safeways and Vons recently?
Bought 4 in the OC yesterday at two separate Vons, each with CCs, and saw no such signs.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
Bought 4 in the OC yesterday at two separate Vons, each with CCs, and saw no such signs.
Cool thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.