Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Warning: The T-M website contains an apparent Bill Pay function. Attempting to use it to pay credit card bills, or probably any significant $ amount bills of any sort, will get your account frozen. Ditto large scale ATM or MO withdrawals. The one method of unloading likely to keep you under the radar is small scale WM BP. Also likely to get you shut down, according to consensus reports, is running much more than $5K a month thru your account. You ignore this advice at your own risk.

SUMMARY

1. FAQ's
2. Free to use for TMo customers.
3. Issued by Bancorp
4. Load at T-mobile store (Registers are HARD CODED not to accept anything other than cash.)
5. or Reloadit, (find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc)

List Stores hard coded for cash or Credit Card accepted
T-Mobile (cash only)
Home Depot (cash only, hard coded)
Harris Teeter - Bought with CC on 2/16/14, hard coded denied CC on 5 APR 2014
Winn-Dixie - Hard coded for cash (debit may work, untested) as of Oct-2015
Meijer (Cash/Debit including VGC)
Giant Eagle/GetGo (Cash, Debit including VGC )
Safeways/Vons/Pavilions in California - most only Cash
Food Lion - Manager override now required. Many stores cash or bank debit only, but registers are not hard coded.
Save-A-Lot: Hard coded cash only
BigY: At least some stores have gone cash only as of 1/8
Acme in PA: Hard-coded cash only (Source)

Note on ReloadIt Cards
These come in two main flavors, up to $500, and up to $950 (there are ones that go up to $50, too). Both are $3.95 load fee. The older grey cards, have CASH ONLY on them. Even if the cash register is coded to accept it, many cashiers will be hesitant to even try, or get shut down by manager.
The maximum value reload will be $2,500.00. There is no maximum number of times you may value reload your Card Account per day; however, the maximum dollar amount of value reloads you may make to your Card Account in one day is $2,500.00. We will accept direct deposits larger than $2,500.00, but any direct deposit value reloaded to your Card Account will count against the $2,500.00 daily limit.
Value Reload Fee: Each time you value reload $300.00 or more to your Card Account in a single transaction, you will receive a credit for any fee you paid. If you are a T-Mobile Wireless Customer and value reload your Card Account at a participating T-Mobile Wireless location, you will receive a refund at the register (and will pay no fee for your value reload). If you value reload your Card Account for $300.00 or more via another method, we will issue a credit to your Card Account in the amount of the fee you paid.

In practice, a ReloadIt >= $300 loaded via the safe will receive credit for the fee. However, the terms formally state "Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit `Safe' are not eligible for any fee credit." so this is not guaranteed.

The Limits:
Daily limit: $2500 during a rolling 24 hour period
Monthly limit: ?
Annual Limit: ?
Max Bill Pay (per transaction): = $5000 (tested March 6th, can do 'at least' a second for the same amount to the same payee momment later).
Daily ATM limit: $500 (rolling 24 hr rather than calendar day)

Total monthly bill pay limit: ?
The maximum value of your Card Account is restricted to $10,000.00

T-Mobile Prepaid Customer Service Email: [email protected]

If you need to escalate to the FDIC, Bancorp's registered FDIC# is 35444.
If you want to try to open an FDIC complaint or investigation you can send one in electronically at
http://www2.fdic.gov/IDASP/DIRSInfoRequest.asp

Alternative FDIC link to file complaint
https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp

FAQ
  • My fee did not get refunded. Has there been a policy change? ReloadIt Fees are processed overnight and could take 24 hours after you reload the card. As of 9/2015, ReloadIt cards added to the safe prior to loading on T-Mobile will still get the $3.95 refunded.
  • What is a safe transaction amount? There is no definite safe or unsafe amount. However, starting the last week of Jul 2015, people have been reporting the account frozen after transactions larger than $1K.
  • Can I use the BP Feature? It works well for some people. Many have reported getting shutdown after using it. A few have reported having the payments lost. Like all MS activity, use at your own risk.
  • Should I mix in some regular spending to make it look like this is my primary card? If it makes you feel better, go for it. However people who do this still get shutdown.
  • I can't log in. Did I get shutdown? Possibly. But more likely the website is having technical issues. Call in, o try to make a swipe purchase and test it out.
  • If I pay my taxes with this card, will I get shutdown? Large purchase raise red flags. Taxes are no different and there are reports of people being shut down for doing this.
  • What is a T-Mobile wireless customer? A qualifying T-Mobile wireless customer can be either a postpaid or prepaid customer. Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24790705-post3703.html
Print Wikipost

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2014, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by pier11
I will gladly listen other opinions. What's your view?
Their business model is not transparent. Their deal structure is too complex. People in most threads at one time have attempted to do the math and gone in circles.
Our concern/discussion should be how safe and well we do our MS. irrespective of their 'profits' or 'profitability' (their business?)
This MS activity is always hit or miss. Do your thing, eventually all good programs end!
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:11 am
Suspended

I can sense this is going to be an ongoing disaster
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by MaineCoon
Yes, exactly. Assistant manager and manager had about 5-10 minutes meeting, but still did not let me buy it.
Well that rules out Sfwy as an option. You should add to the Wiki as cash-only.

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
I can sense this is going to be an ongoing disaster
Why? Several have already found cc-compatible sources. It's just a matter of finding more, and one that works for you.

Originally Posted by cowboyguy
Is there any way to know if the new card is in your local grocery stores (obviously other than visiting the grocery stores)?
It has to look like the one in the picture I linked earlier, so if you called to ask, the person looking would have to be reliable enough to tell the difference between that one and the old version. Why not just go and check yourself, or ask someone you know to snap a pic for you when they're next there?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by mooper
Well that rules out Sfwy as an option. You should add to the Wiki as cash-only.
I'm not done with them yet.

I don't even know whether their registers are hard-coded, they did not try the transaction with cc.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:23 pm

Reloadit Pack fee refund?

Hi,

I am a T-Mobile customer and just received the prepaid card. From the T&C, on the refund of reload fee, or section "Value Reload Fee", it says " Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit “Safe” are not eligible for any fee credit."

So, what does this "Program Manager's Reloadit "Safe"" mean?

I just loaded one about an hour ago and no sight of fee credit...Any insight would be appreciated.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by jackiesyu

I just loaded one about an hour ago and no sight of fee credit...Any insight would be appreciated.
Safe is a functionality of new updated site. Not in production yet.

Credit will appear, not today.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Credit appears the next day typically.

Give it time grasshopper.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 7:23 pm

When I registered I used a T-mobile phone number,I received the card and activated it today. I just found out there was a my phone option. Do I have to put my phone number again to get the activation credit? I do not want to pay my bill here.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 8:17 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
There we have new ReloadIt site. Half working.

Bill pay - "Coming soon". ($1 fee.) Scheduled payments - "Coming".
Map search doesn't work for me. Result list doesn't have scroll bar.

Thanks normal load (not from safe) worked out somehow.
Old Feb 4, 2014, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by sk8uno
1. Did you buy them along with any groceries, or was your purchase just the cards?
2. Did you put 950 on each of them?

I bought one, but it was just a test run. Small dollar amount and purchased alongside regular groceries. I expect I will create a more nervous cashier when I go in to buy $950 or more and no groceries.
I did both ways. Once she asked a few people and decided to let me, I did another transaction by itself. In between I also grabbed a Univision card. I didn't want to go crazy buying any more than that.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by maksimfa
Credit appears the next day typically.

Give it time grasshopper.
Anyone tried the Visa ReadyLink reload option ?.....Is that fee refundable for T-mo customers too?

Will try it soon...VERY interesting if it is....
Old Feb 5, 2014, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by OHijAAzi73
Anyone tried the Visa ReadyLink reload option ?.....Is that fee refundable for T-mo customers too?

Will try it soon...VERY interesting if it is....
Do you have somewhere that accepts CC for ReadyLink? I thought the website made it very clear that is cash only.

After a little more looking on their FAQs it appears that it is up to the merchant to decide which methods of payments are allowed.

Last edited by RedTeam10; Feb 5, 2014 at 10:22 am
Old Feb 5, 2014, 9:46 am

Received offer today for $20 credit after two $100 direct deposits within 75 days of personalized card activation:

Complete two direct deposits of $100 or more, each within 75 days of activating your personalized card, and a $20 credit will be applied to your T-Mobile Card within 15 days or your second successfully applied deposit. Direct deposits must be in cardholders name in order to be accepted and posted to the T-Mobile card account. Tax refunds and PayPal checks are not eligible for this offer
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:42 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Started seeing these T-Mobile cards being sold in my favorite grocery chain.

$4 fee to buy up to $500 -- not the best deal right now at this chain, so, I didn't bother getting one, but, probably a 'second best' at this chain at the moment. Unfortunately package is marked 'cash only' which often leads to cashier resistance.

Anyone just get a PIN for the temporary card and empty at WM?

Additionally, I too have seen the new 'ReloadIt's, and, as others have noted, the words 'cash only' have been omitted. I haven't bought any as I'm not all that interested in 'registering' for another prepaid card. It's never a matter of 'if' I get shut down, it's a a matter of 'when', and, I'm not in the mood to do battle yet again to get my money returned to me. Much prefer PINning out GC's and 'temporary cards'. But, to each their own.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 10:45 am
jk2

Originally Posted by jackiesyu
Hi,

I am a T-Mobile customer and just received the prepaid card. From the T&C, on the refund of reload fee, or section "Value Reload Fee", it says " Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit “Safe” are not eligible for any fee credit."

I loaded 3 packs and got 3x$3.95 refund next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.