Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Warning: The T-M website contains an apparent Bill Pay function. Attempting to use it to pay credit card bills, or probably any significant $ amount bills of any sort, will get your account frozen. Ditto large scale ATM or MO withdrawals. The one method of unloading likely to keep you under the radar is small scale WM BP. Also likely to get you shut down, according to consensus reports, is running much more than $5K a month thru your account. You ignore this advice at your own risk.

SUMMARY

1. FAQ's
2. Free to use for TMo customers.
3. Issued by Bancorp
4. Load at T-mobile store (Registers are HARD CODED not to accept anything other than cash.)
5. or Reloadit, (find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc)

List Stores hard coded for cash or Credit Card accepted
T-Mobile (cash only)
Home Depot (cash only, hard coded)
Harris Teeter - Bought with CC on 2/16/14, hard coded denied CC on 5 APR 2014
Winn-Dixie - Hard coded for cash (debit may work, untested) as of Oct-2015
Meijer (Cash/Debit including VGC)
Giant Eagle/GetGo (Cash, Debit including VGC )
Safeways/Vons/Pavilions in California - most only Cash
Food Lion - Manager override now required. Many stores cash or bank debit only, but registers are not hard coded.
Save-A-Lot: Hard coded cash only
BigY: At least some stores have gone cash only as of 1/8
Acme in PA: Hard-coded cash only (Source)

Note on ReloadIt Cards
These come in two main flavors, up to $500, and up to $950 (there are ones that go up to $50, too). Both are $3.95 load fee. The older grey cards, have CASH ONLY on them. Even if the cash register is coded to accept it, many cashiers will be hesitant to even try, or get shut down by manager.
The maximum value reload will be $2,500.00. There is no maximum number of times you may value reload your Card Account per day; however, the maximum dollar amount of value reloads you may make to your Card Account in one day is $2,500.00. We will accept direct deposits larger than $2,500.00, but any direct deposit value reloaded to your Card Account will count against the $2,500.00 daily limit.
Value Reload Fee: Each time you value reload $300.00 or more to your Card Account in a single transaction, you will receive a credit for any fee you paid. If you are a T-Mobile Wireless Customer and value reload your Card Account at a participating T-Mobile Wireless location, you will receive a refund at the register (and will pay no fee for your value reload). If you value reload your Card Account for $300.00 or more via another method, we will issue a credit to your Card Account in the amount of the fee you paid.

In practice, a ReloadIt >= $300 loaded via the safe will receive credit for the fee. However, the terms formally state "Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit `Safe' are not eligible for any fee credit." so this is not guaranteed.

The Limits:
Daily limit: $2500 during a rolling 24 hour period
Monthly limit: ?
Annual Limit: ?
Max Bill Pay (per transaction): = $5000 (tested March 6th, can do 'at least' a second for the same amount to the same payee momment later).
Daily ATM limit: $500 (rolling 24 hr rather than calendar day)

Total monthly bill pay limit: ?
The maximum value of your Card Account is restricted to $10,000.00

T-Mobile Prepaid Customer Service Email: [email protected]

If you need to escalate to the FDIC, Bancorp's registered FDIC# is 35444.
If you want to try to open an FDIC complaint or investigation you can send one in electronically at
http://www2.fdic.gov/IDASP/DIRSInfoRequest.asp

Alternative FDIC link to file complaint
https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp

FAQ
  • My fee did not get refunded. Has there been a policy change? ReloadIt Fees are processed overnight and could take 24 hours after you reload the card. As of 9/2015, ReloadIt cards added to the safe prior to loading on T-Mobile will still get the $3.95 refunded.
  • What is a safe transaction amount? There is no definite safe or unsafe amount. However, starting the last week of Jul 2015, people have been reporting the account frozen after transactions larger than $1K.
  • Can I use the BP Feature? It works well for some people. Many have reported getting shutdown after using it. A few have reported having the payments lost. Like all MS activity, use at your own risk.
  • Should I mix in some regular spending to make it look like this is my primary card? If it makes you feel better, go for it. However people who do this still get shutdown.
  • I can't log in. Did I get shutdown? Possibly. But more likely the website is having technical issues. Call in, o try to make a swipe purchase and test it out.
  • If I pay my taxes with this card, will I get shutdown? Large purchase raise red flags. Taxes are no different and there are reports of people being shut down for doing this.
  • What is a T-Mobile wireless customer? A qualifying T-Mobile wireless customer can be either a postpaid or prepaid customer. Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24790705-post3703.html
Print Wikipost

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:02 pm

around where?

I haven't got my card yet.

As soon as it arrives, I will try all the ways to load w/cc-purchased cards..
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold 1MM ,Hyatt Explorist,Marriott Platinum,HHonors Diamond
Reloadit @ HD are cash only/hard coded in my area ....
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:47 pm

Any idea what this means from the T&C agreement?

"Value Reload Fee: Each time you value reload $300.00 or more to your Card Account in a single transaction, you will receive a credit for any fee you paid. If you are a T-Mobile Wireless Customer and value reload your Card Account at a participating

T-Mobile Wireless location, you will receive a refund at the register (and will pay no fee for your value reload). If You Value Reload Your Card Account For $300.00 Or More Via Another Method, We Will Issue A Credit To Your Card Account In The Amount Of The Fee
you paid. Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit “Safe” are not eligible for any fee credit."

Also....are debit cards allowed using the Visa ReadyLink option?
Old Jan 31, 2014, 10:53 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
SHHHHH! Don't let it out or it will really get people into this gig and ruin it.

Yes... Tmo credits the reloadit card fee to the account.

It was posted the day after for me.

And why the heck would you call the store?!?!?!!?! And yes, we already knew you can buy it through the register, just if cashier allows it. Also... I think buying $2k you are pushing it.... Particularly cause it says Cash only on the card.

If it was 1 card, the cashier would likely do it. Doing 2k in one shot... you will likely get the cashier in trouble... since the cashier goofed and let you buy a product that says cash only with a credit card.

The new cards apparently do not say cash only anywhere.

This deal so far really is YMMV and I hope no one here on purpose costs a cashier his job trying to ram a lot through.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by maksimfa
SHHHHH! Don't let it out or it will really get people into this gig and ruin it.

Yes... Tmo credits the reloadit card fee to the account.

It was posted the day after for me.
Well so far unable to find a credit card friendly reloadit joint....

Last edited by OHijAAzi73; Jan 31, 2014 at 11:22 pm
Old Jan 31, 2014, 11:17 pm

The 3.95 activation fee will credit back to your tmobile prepaid card account or your tmobile phone account if we add more than 300?
Old Feb 1, 2014, 2:57 am

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
New style Reloadit cards have arrived at Vawnz in So. Cal. And, . . . they do NOT say CASH only anywhere on the card. So, for the first time ever, I was able to buy a $950 with a CC. Hope it lasts.
I've seen this new design too at safe weigh. It's promising because this particular location has recently sold me a bunch of a certain prepaid MC discussed in a separate thread on this forum which earns fuel points (even had the manager ring me up), but I don't think it changes that much because another safe weigh that is closer to where I live will not sell any type of variable load card with cc, even a merchant gc like amazon. And others have their own random rules but these types of reload cards, reloadable prepaid cards, and visa/mc/amex gc tend to be cash only at a lot of stores. It will still be YMMV depending on the store manager, some stores will take cc and others will not. It will definitely help that it doesn't say "cash only" anymore but that won't stop the store from saying that it is cash only. I'm sure pretty much everyone reading this has been turned down trying to buy VR/GC with a CC at some mean stores, and AFAIK those have never said cash only on the package.

I haven't tried buying a reloadit at the good store yet because I still haven't been able to get the T-Mobile card, though it seems like they don't care how I pay for any cards I buy there, so it should work. After I was denied online for the T-Mobile card I went to a store to see if I could get one there and they didn't have any. The clerk thought they hadn't been released yet. I'm going to try another soon but I think I might be blacklisted by Bancorp and be unable to register any card that I purchase at a store. A few days after my online app was denied, I noticed that all 3 of my MVD cards were finally put in spend down mode after I had been running substantial amounts through them for months with no problem. Although if MVD closure were a reason to be denied this card, there would probably be more reports in this thread of it happening. I can't think what else I could have done to get on their naughty list, as MVD is the only one of their products I've used for MS. Maybe I'll try to find the account now card which I ordered ages ago and never activated because I couldn't find a store that would sell me reloadits with cc until this new safe weigh opened up.

Anyone else get their online application for the card declined who was able to find out more or get a card in store? I thought about getting a trusted relative to sign up and let me use their card like with Bluebird, but none of them have T-Mobile phones which complicates things.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by busymike
overspeeding means poor fuel economy, which cuts into your margins. rookie mistake.
^ but time=money, figure out the sweet spot where you won't get pulled over and still save time on your WM CVS runs.
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:26 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by Lemma
... I was denied online for the T-Mobile card
I doubt that registration of temp card would succeed if you are unable to register online already... But doesn't hurt to try of course.

I was denied MVD online application for some reason. Was closed by AN and GB, not sure if that affected...
Old Feb 1, 2014, 5:31 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Anybody knows what Program Manager’s Reloadit “Safe” mean?
I'm guessing it's something to do with upcoming new site functionality to kind of apply reload to your account there and then reload your cards from that balance...
Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit “Safe” are not eligible for any fee credit."
Old Feb 1, 2014, 1:16 pm

anyone tried an ach pull?
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by pier11
I doubt that registration of temp card would succeed if you are unable to register online already... But doesn't hurt to try of course.

I was denied MVD online application for some reason. Was closed by AN and GB, not sure if that affected...
I was able to get the JH prepaid card which is apparently pretty much just a rebranded MVD card that is run by Incomm. So that gives me some hope that this isn't because of my MVD accounts and there is just some kind of glitch. I guess it's possible that I was blacklisted by Blackhawk, because I can't sell to Cardpool anymore and have no idea why (I never even did large volume, biggest sell to them was $500, which went through fine). But I'm not sure why Blackhawk would have blacklisted me unless it's related to my Cardpool ban.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by cowboyguy
My Reloadit Story:

So after learning above that an FTer was able to get the new reloadit card on a CC, I decided to go to the local grocery store. Before going there, I called the store and asked the CSR if I'm allowed to use a CC to buy reloadit. The CSR put my call on hold for a few minutes and then told me that as soon as it is a valid Visa or Master card, I can use it. But I can't use a reloadit card to buy a reloadit card. I was like ok I'll be right there.

It was 11 pm and there wasn't even a single car on the roads. Suddenly, a cop pulled me over. I was overspeeding. On a road of max 35 mph, I was hitting 50 mph. Congratulations to me, I got a $130 tickets. I was like I better get those effing cards to make up for the ticket.

Anyway I reached the store and tried to find the new cards but in vain. Then I took the usual reloadit cards (6 of them) to the cashier. Before I said anything, the cashier said they are cash only. I was like I just talked to this cashier named xxx (call him John) and he said I can use a card to buy these. The cashier called John. John initially said yes you can use a CC to buy these but later when he realized I was loading 500 into each card, he said that the store policy is $200 max on the CC and the rest by cash. I was like oh man I drove 10 miles only bcoz you said I can use a CC... can you please do it on a one-time courtesy. I suggested him to try at least... if the transaction goes through, great... if not then no issues. He said ok. The cashier swiped the cards and Congratulations, all went through successfully. John was in kind of a puzzle to see this bcoz he wasn't expecting the cards will go through. Anyway he took my ID and made a copy of it along with the receipts. He also took my phone number. I was like please feel free to give me a call in case you guys have any questions. I buy these all the time and I'm pretty experienced with them.

Lesson of the story:

Now we know at least that although reloadits would say cash only, they aren't necessarily hard coded in many of the systems to use cash only.

P.S: Second lesson is, don't overspeed.
Are you for real? With >300 posts? Everyone know the reloadit cards says cash only.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by pyrotalk
Are you for real? With >300 posts? Everyone know the reloadit cards says cash only.
No, everyone does not know that. In fact, many of us now know that the new style Reloadit cards do NOT say cash only.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 11:20 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by BigDawgFT
No, everyone does not know that. In fact, many of us now know that the new style Reloadit cards do NOT say cash only.
Reloadit available several places near me. Haven't checked yet to see if CC purchase is available. Has anyone reported CC success with the new Reloadits yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.