Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 22, 2014, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: XP1
Warning: The T-M website contains an apparent Bill Pay function. Attempting to use it to pay credit card bills, or probably any significant $ amount bills of any sort, will get your account frozen. Ditto large scale ATM or MO withdrawals. The one method of unloading likely to keep you under the radar is small scale WM BP. Also likely to get you shut down, according to consensus reports, is running much more than $5K a month thru your account. You ignore this advice at your own risk.

SUMMARY

1. FAQ's
2. Free to use for TMo customers.
3. Issued by Bancorp
4. Load at T-mobile store (Registers are HARD CODED not to accept anything other than cash.)
5. or Reloadit, (find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc)

List Stores hard coded for cash or Credit Card accepted
T-Mobile (cash only)
Home Depot (cash only, hard coded)
Harris Teeter - Bought with CC on 2/16/14, hard coded denied CC on 5 APR 2014
Winn-Dixie - Hard coded for cash (debit may work, untested) as of Oct-2015
Meijer (Cash/Debit including VGC)
Giant Eagle/GetGo (Cash, Debit including VGC )
Safeways/Vons/Pavilions in California - most only Cash
Food Lion - Manager override now required. Many stores cash or bank debit only, but registers are not hard coded.
Save-A-Lot: Hard coded cash only
BigY: At least some stores have gone cash only as of 1/8
Acme in PA: Hard-coded cash only (Source)

Note on ReloadIt Cards
These come in two main flavors, up to $500, and up to $950 (there are ones that go up to $50, too). Both are $3.95 load fee. The older grey cards, have CASH ONLY on them. Even if the cash register is coded to accept it, many cashiers will be hesitant to even try, or get shut down by manager.
The maximum value reload will be $2,500.00. There is no maximum number of times you may value reload your Card Account per day; however, the maximum dollar amount of value reloads you may make to your Card Account in one day is $2,500.00. We will accept direct deposits larger than $2,500.00, but any direct deposit value reloaded to your Card Account will count against the $2,500.00 daily limit.
Value Reload Fee: Each time you value reload $300.00 or more to your Card Account in a single transaction, you will receive a credit for any fee you paid. If you are a T-Mobile Wireless Customer and value reload your Card Account at a participating T-Mobile Wireless location, you will receive a refund at the register (and will pay no fee for your value reload). If you value reload your Card Account for $300.00 or more via another method, we will issue a credit to your Card Account in the amount of the fee you paid.

In practice, a ReloadIt >= $300 loaded via the safe will receive credit for the fee. However, the terms formally state "Please note: Value reloads made from Reloadit Packs that have been placed in the Program Manager’s Reloadit `Safe' are not eligible for any fee credit." so this is not guaranteed.

The Limits:
Daily limit: $2500 during a rolling 24 hour period
Monthly limit: ?
Annual Limit: ?
Max Bill Pay (per transaction): = $5000 (tested March 6th, can do 'at least' a second for the same amount to the same payee momment later).
Daily ATM limit: $500 (rolling 24 hr rather than calendar day)

Total monthly bill pay limit: ?
The maximum value of your Card Account is restricted to $10,000.00

T-Mobile Prepaid Customer Service Email: [email protected]

If you need to escalate to the FDIC, Bancorp's registered FDIC# is 35444.
If you want to try to open an FDIC complaint or investigation you can send one in electronically at
http://www2.fdic.gov/IDASP/DIRSInfoRequest.asp

Alternative FDIC link to file complaint
https://www2.fdic.gov/starsmail/index.asp

FAQ
  • My fee did not get refunded. Has there been a policy change? ReloadIt Fees are processed overnight and could take 24 hours after you reload the card. As of 9/2015, ReloadIt cards added to the safe prior to loading on T-Mobile will still get the $3.95 refunded.
  • What is a safe transaction amount? There is no definite safe or unsafe amount. However, starting the last week of Jul 2015, people have been reporting the account frozen after transactions larger than $1K.
  • Can I use the BP Feature? It works well for some people. Many have reported getting shutdown after using it. A few have reported having the payments lost. Like all MS activity, use at your own risk.
  • Should I mix in some regular spending to make it look like this is my primary card? If it makes you feel better, go for it. However people who do this still get shutdown.
  • I can't log in. Did I get shutdown? Possibly. But more likely the website is having technical issues. Call in, o try to make a swipe purchase and test it out.
  • If I pay my taxes with this card, will I get shutdown? Large purchase raise red flags. Taxes are no different and there are reports of people being shut down for doing this.
  • What is a T-Mobile wireless customer? A qualifying T-Mobile wireless customer can be either a postpaid or prepaid customer. Source: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24790705-post3703.html
Print Wikipost

T-Mobile Visa Prepaid - Bluebird Competitor for MS! (May not load w/CC)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2014, 10:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Hilbe
Anyone try Marsh supermarkets?
I was wondering about this too because there are a lot in the Indianapolis area. I do know that they will not allow CC for VGC purchases, so I assume no. They're very strict at my local Marsh and require most GC's to be purchased at customer service... Probably a good idea as it keeps the transactions in the hands of few so there is no confusion.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 1:03 pm

Programs: All of them!
My online application for this card was declined. I got the following message:

Thank you for your interest in T-Mobile. We are not able to process your enrollment. T-Mobile values your business and interest on our product, and we are sorry that we cannot meet your needs at this time. We are continuing to develop new products and services to assist our diverse customer base.

If you have any question please call Customer Service at 1 (866) 306-9636.
No idea why, as I don't have a history of shutdowns with any of the companies involved. I do have a T-Mobile phone plan (prepaid) which I tried to link the card to. I actually haven't ever been shut down by any prepaid card product, amazingly enough not even MVD (which I usually load 2k at a time and unload via MO) although I have stayed away from most of the ones that are widely reported to be quick to shut you down such as NetSpend. My previous attempts to purchase Reloadits with a credit card have been unsuccessful, but I saw on the Reloadit website that there are some new retailers in my area selling the cards and I had planned to give them a try.

I called the toll-free number they listed and had to enter a card # to proceed further. I might try to get the card at a T-Mobile store and see what happens.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Lemma
My online application for this card was declined. I got the following message:

No idea why, as I don't have a history of shutdowns with any of the companies involved. I do have a T-Mobile phone plan (prepaid) which I tried to link the card to. I actually haven't ever been shut down by any prepaid card product, amazingly enough not even MVD (which I usually load 2k at a time and unload via MO) although I have stayed away from most of the ones that are widely reported to be quick to shut you down such as NetSpend. My previous attempts to purchase Reloadits with a credit card have been unsuccessful, but I saw on the Reloadit website that there are some new retailers in my area selling the cards and I had planned to give them a try.

I called the toll-free number they listed and had to enter a card # to proceed further. I might try to get the card at a T-Mobile store and see what happens.
Crazy, I would call them up and try to find out why getting shut down.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by maksimfa
Crazy, I would call them up and try to find out why getting shut down.
I tried that, but the number they gave to call in the message didn't allow me to speak to anyone without entering my card number, which I didn't have. I'll probably stop by a T-Mobile store over the weekend and see if I can get a card there.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: US; AA; UA; Hilton Gold; Club Carlson Gold; IHG Platinum;
Credit Pull?

Does anyone know if there is a credit pull involved? I see that they are asking for SSN.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:02 pm

Success!

Was able to find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc. Loaded via phone app no problem.

Will be trying to do via bill pay.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kpoxa
Does anyone know if there is a credit pull involved? I see that they are asking for SSN.
These type of reloadable prepaid cards all have to ask for SSN because of AML requirements. And they don't usually do pulls as their target market has bad credit. I can't confirm personally but there should not be a hard pull.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Lemma
These type of reloadable prepaid cards all have to ask for SSN because of AML requirements. And they don't usually do pulls as their target market has bad credit. I can't confirm personally but there should not be a hard pull.
No pull on either mine or wife's.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 8:19 pm

no pull, of course.

So what is the verdict? can this card be used for MS or does it go to the drawer?

guess I got my answer:

Originally Posted by maksimfa
Success!

Was able to find a grocery store that sold reloadit cards with a cc. Loaded via phone app no problem.

Will be trying to do via bill pay.
..and the answer is: "it depends"
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by MaineCoon
no pull, of course.

So what is the verdict? can this card be used for MS or does it go to the drawer?

guess I got my answer:

..and the answer is: "it depends"
Ok. So here is something funny, hopefully just growing pains.

Loaded card, and went to do bill pay from home pc. Save payee and all. Hit send... where you put in payment, box for "express payment" is enabled, and shows $9.95 fee for same day payment. When you uncheck it, the $9.95 does not come off.

Went in online via app, went to bill pay, the save payee was not there, entered it again, and no fee. works. It does say to allow 15 days for it to get there. WHA? Will see. =)

For Tmobile customers, you have nothing to lose as it is 100% free, except load fee for cards. If you want to use regularly, no fees to load at store. Free bill pay. No maintenance fees. Pretty good app, check deposits via camera... overall A-, minus the IT issues.

Got to go over limits again, but I see it as a very nice addition to load and unload, on top of BlueBird, if you can get the reload cards.

Who knows, maybe they will add others in the future?
Old Jan 24, 2014, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Got shot down at a WinnDixie tonight. Register is hard coded for cash only with Reloadits.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 11:57 pm

Anyone tried depositing a money order on the card ? T&C's are vague when it comes to money orders ( or maybe I cant figure it out)

"You generally will have access to your funds within one (1) hour after reloading (except for Remote Check Deposits; see “Remote Check Deposit” below); if your funds are not available after that time, please call us at (866) 306-9636. Personal checks, cashiers checks, and money orders sent to the Issuer are not an acceptable form of loading. All checks and money orders sent to the Issuer for Card Account loading will be returned unless the full amount may be applied towards a negative balance, in which case the check or money order may or may not be loaded to the Card Account at the discretion of the Issuer."
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:03 am

Is this service free for "pay-as-you-go" or "prepaid/$1000 mins for $100" TMob customers as well? or only for monthly plan accounts?
Old Jan 28, 2014, 11:03 pm

Should work for any T-Mobile customers

Originally Posted by tsmith12
Is this service free for "pay-as-you-go" or "prepaid/$1000 mins for $100" TMob customers as well? or only for monthly plan accounts?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:14 am

Still waiting on my TMO card .. anyone get one at the store and started using it ? Please share your experience .. thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.