Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Anyone already done with their Chase Freedom 5% at gas stations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone already done with their Chase Freedom 5% at gas stations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2014, 3:24 pm

Anything Kansas or Colorado?

PM would be appreciated! Thanks
Old Jan 5, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Ohio

PMs appreciated for Columbus, OH..
Old Jan 5, 2014, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by rampartmovie
I read in a some milepoint forum thread that purchasing cash equivalents was illegal and violates most of the T&C of credit cards. I asked the particular user then why do people do it and what is an alternative? I did not get a response.

I then read the threads here and came to know that since the sellers of these cash equivalents have no way/or rather have not been reporting to banks that they are cash equivalents we are getting away with it. The day when Grocery stores will tell banks that this person is purchasing gift cards then it will be trouble and hence not legal to get the miles and minimum spend...

I got a response then from the earlier mentioned forum that purchasing goods when they are cheap and selling them from profit would be a best legal way to do, but it requires time and effort and dedication more than the ones when we purchase cash equivalents.

And I see threads here and naturally people are protective about revealing more information as it will make lots of people do the same thing and there is a risk of losing the avenue. I totally think that it is fair and no one should reveal information if they feel it will be threatened. I am totally fine with it. But giving wrong advise and sabotaging is wrong i believe. If you dont want to give advise its all fine, but giving wrong advise to gullible people is wrong dont you agree? Of course there is no way of knowing if a person is genuinely gullible or is trying to be spoon fed. Which again is again totally fine by me. I mean I was not way too upset, if i went and swiped it as debit, i would have incurred cash advance fee and then i would have learnt a lesson. MS is a marathon and its fine to learn lessons along the way. But purposefully sabotaging is wrong. These are purely my opinions.

So that is why I thought I might have given something like selling goods for MS out in a forum and it might destroy it for all of us in a lighter vein.

And as I was new to flyer talk forums and its etiquette, I posted a friendly thread asking if anyone does legal MS. Now my knowledge grasp might be less. I am still not sure what is legal and what is not. I am committing mistakes all along the way and I want to be learned and well versed in this MS field like most of you guys are too.

I now know that posting such threads like that and posting threads like this here is heavily frowned upon. And will not be doing that in future. Incurring cash advance fees is a small thing, I can recover from that. But what if something serious? I was just shocked for a sec that is all. And i know that i should do full out research before trusting a stranger on internet..

Phew..sorry for the rant. I feel stupid writing all this...
I agree, there is no reason for people to behave in such manner by giving false information. I can understand if you get upset and tell someone to read before asking but giving false info is just plain wrong. We come here to all help each other and learn. Pay it forward and be helpful, not an a--

Sorry OP, not everyone on here are a--holes like these individuals.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 9:22 pm

Ive had success in the past with kangaroo's here in FL. Have not tried in awhile
Old Jan 5, 2014, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by drdrew450
Ive had success in the past with kangaroo's here in FL. Have not tried in awhile
Whosawhatsits?
Old Jan 6, 2014, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by rampartmovie
I read in a some milepoint forum thread that purchasing cash equivalents was illegal and violates most of the T&C of credit cards.
Wrong and wrong. It's legal, and T&Cs typically state that purchases of cash equivalents don't qualify for rewards, but they don't say you can't do it. So my philosophy is, buy what you wish and let the CC company decide whether it qualifies for rewards. If they don't like what you're doing they can shut you down under their "we reserve the right to close your account any time for any reason" clause.

In my neck of California, 7-11 is the key. It's no secret; my normal two that take CCs have already been cleaned out of OneVanillas.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG & IHG Plat, & every airline program that I can join
No Kangaroo stations down here in Ft Myers, FL. What the heck is -4?
Speedway moved out several years ago.
Any Ideas? I just received my Freedom Card today with a whopping $500 limit!!

JudyJFLA
Old Jan 6, 2014, 3:45 pm

seven minus eleven equals -4
Old Jan 6, 2014, 4:17 pm

Anyone got any insight in the Raleigh/Durham Area in NC?

PM please.

Thanks.

As a note, I have hit more than my fair share of Kangaroos, they all say cash only, but i have successfully talked 1 store clerk into letting me try it, and it is not blocked by the register, you just have to have the store clerk let you do it.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 6:51 pm

Anybody willing to PM me? I'm based in SoCal. Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: AA, DL, SPG, SWRR, TrueBlue, KE Skypass
Any tips for DC / Baltimore? I stopped by a few local Sunocos but they had no idea what I was talking about, and the 7-11s here won't take CC.
Old Jan 6, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: Anywhere I can ski...
Originally Posted by Astrophsx
Anything Kansas or Colorado?

PM would be appreciated! Thanks
+1 PM me please. thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2014, 11:12 pm

Could anyone PM with some gas locations in San Diego where CC is accepted? I've had luck with CVS but I am trying to get the 5x freedom bonus for the gas stations. I've gotten shut down at a couple of 7-11s where they have said cash only.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 11:33 am

had luck with a -4 last time gas was 5% near 19104, buying Vanilla reloads. now does not work (rejected at the register, never reaches CC). two question:

1. have people had luck with other Vanilla products (OneVanilla) when Vanilla reloads have failed (been rejected at the register as described)
2. anyone have suggestions near 19104.

thanks in advance.
Old Jan 7, 2014, 1:41 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
711 POS will accept CC for VGC and PPCash. You just need to keep trying different stores and different shifts to get a teller who will let you actually pay by CC.

As an aside the VR that 711 carries are actually different from those at WG or CS. They are the same as OfficeDepot. The specific SKU for them is programmed by Incomm to be rejected at the register. It is not simply a 711 or OD policy. Incomm apparently provides some kind of API to store's POS infrastructure for this stuff.

Originally Posted by zbrodgers
had luck with a -4 last time gas was 5% near 19104, buying Vanilla reloads. now does not work (rejected at the register, never reaches CC). two question:

1. have people had luck with other Vanilla products (OneVanilla) when Vanilla reloads have failed (been rejected at the register as described)
2. anyone have suggestions near 19104.

thanks in advance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.