Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Anyone already done with their Chase Freedom 5% at gas stations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone already done with their Chase Freedom 5% at gas stations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2014, 3:55 pm

Just about done with my Chase freedom. Will be done before Q4 2013 estimated taxes are due.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Originally Posted by PainCorp
Call Chase to establish a PIN. Let us know how it goes.
^

Originally Posted by LoneTree
Enjoy the Cash Advance fees.
You speak nonsense.

Originally Posted by rampartmovie
Will do. But will it count as Cash Advance when i swipe it as debit as Lonetree suggested? Even if I have Cash Advance to 0?

You're fine.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:18 pm

PM please

Can someone PM me please? I'm looking for something in Richmond, VA.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 6:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

A PM would be appreciated for the Midwest! Thank you!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by f0xx
You speak nonsense.
Really? Won't a PIN transaction on a Credit Card over a debit network process as a CA?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:40 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Really? Won't a PIN transaction on a Credit Card over a debit network process as a CA?
Duh.

But he must be gullible enough to actually do it if he's stupid enough to think that you can use your CC as a debit without getting hit with a CA. ^
Old Jan 4, 2014, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Duh.

But he must be gullible enough to actually do it if he's stupid enough to think that you can use your CC as a debit without getting hit with a CA. ^
Ah, my sarcasm detector was on the fritz.

I wonder how these will be processed on Chip and PIN credit cards?
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, Hilton Gold
Ah, my sarcasm detector was on the fritz.

I wonder how these will be processed on Chip and PIN credit cards?
Well considering Chase doesn't do Chip and PIN, we don't have to worry about it....yet.....
Old Jan 4, 2014, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Duh.

Wow you guys....I did google everywhere and asked this question and I am not asking to be spoon fed. I am not from US, I am from China and this is the first time in my life I am having credit cards and I have genuine questions. I really only knew about cash advance a few days back and made it 0 on all the cards. I did not know about if credit can be used as debit.

If you guys (i.e. the entire flyertalk folks) think that I am competition, then best you guys can do is not to give me advice. Just don't give me wrong advice I don't get US sarcasm. I was almost about to go and swipe the card tomorrow.

Well I am just saying, some people like me are really gullible. And there is no way for you to know too I suck, I know!
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:12 pm

yawn...I'll just donate the $75 to charity.
Old Jan 4, 2014, 11:17 pm

I, too, would appreciate PM info from some kind person! I live in Rhode Island.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:20 am
Original Poster

I read in a some milepoint forum thread that purchasing cash equivalents was illegal and violates most of the T&C of credit cards. I asked the particular user then why do people do it and what is an alternative? I did not get a response.

I then read the threads here and came to know that since the sellers of these cash equivalents have no way/or rather have not been reporting to banks that they are cash equivalents we are getting away with it. The day when Grocery stores will tell banks that this person is purchasing gift cards then it will be trouble and hence not legal to get the miles and minimum spend...

I got a response then from the earlier mentioned forum that purchasing goods when they are cheap and selling them from profit would be a best legal way to do, but it requires time and effort and dedication more than the ones when we purchase cash equivalents.

And I see threads here and naturally people are protective about revealing more information as it will make lots of people do the same thing and there is a risk of losing the avenue. I totally think that it is fair and no one should reveal information if they feel it will be threatened. I am totally fine with it. But giving wrong advise and sabotaging is wrong i believe. If you dont want to give advise its all fine, but giving wrong advise to gullible people is wrong dont you agree? Of course there is no way of knowing if a person is genuinely gullible or is trying to be spoon fed. Which again is again totally fine by me. I mean I was not way too upset, if i went and swiped it as debit, i would have incurred cash advance fee and then i would have learnt a lesson. MS is a marathon and its fine to learn lessons along the way. But purposefully sabotaging is wrong. These are purely my opinions.

So that is why I thought I might have given something like selling goods for MS out in a forum and it might destroy it for all of us in a lighter vein.

And as I was new to flyer talk forums and its etiquette, I posted a friendly thread asking if anyone does legal MS. Now my knowledge grasp might be less. I am still not sure what is legal and what is not. I am committing mistakes all along the way and I want to be learned and well versed in this MS field like most of you guys are too.

I now know that posting such threads like that and posting threads like this here is heavily frowned upon. And will not be doing that in future. Incurring cash advance fees is a small thing, I can recover from that. But what if something serious? I was just shocked for a sec that is all. And i know that i should do full out research before trusting a stranger on internet..

Phew..sorry for the rant. I feel stupid writing all this...

Last edited by cbn42; Jan 5, 2014 at 3:32 pm Reason: remove deleted quote
Old Jan 5, 2014, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
I will spill my beans as I didn't put any work into this and just stumbled upon it. Speedway gas stations sell all kinds of GCs including HIGC and $500 vanilla visas. They let you buy these with CCs with $1000 limit per transaction, but let you do multiple transactions. They also sell VRs but do not let you buy them with CCs.

(I found speedway by looking at the list of retailers that have VRs , but of course they you can't buy VRs with CCs so it was funny. Also I am in SE Mich.)

Last edited by cbn42; Jan 5, 2014 at 3:30 pm Reason: remove "ridiculous thread" comment
Old Jan 5, 2014, 10:02 am

If anyone is from NY state and could PM I would be highly appreciative.
Old Jan 5, 2014, 12:55 pm
Suspended

You people and all your mid-size chain gas stations make me sick with jealousy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.