Old Jan 8, 2014, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TheDapperDon
Bonus category spending is now capped at $50k per year for new accounts. For now, this does not apply to existing cardholders, although Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. This card is less viable as an MS instrument. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex. As of Dec 13, 2014, shutdown reports continue. Shutdowns appear to be triggered by spending on the card or upon statement closure, but not always

Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

Others have succeeded in getting new cards, including new OBCs, but consider your relationship with Amex and how much you value that and this card when deciding how to use it.

There might be some impact with other issuers. If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

So, if you still feel it is worth it:
Application Link: Copy & paste the following link into a incognito window in Chrome or InPrivate Browsing in IE, Private Session in Firefox. There have been reports of people who got the card in the last couple of months getting shut down because of the rush to spend the initial $6,500.

Do NOT post "Link isn't working" until you have tried it incognito/private browsing and it fails there.

Code:
https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/blue-cash/25330


Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 spend in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases (5% after 6500), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯
First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

'Reward year' is the 12 billing periods in a row beginning with the one in which the anniversary of your Card Account occurs.

'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

* Read the fine print for 'gas' purchases! Right from AMEX T&C's:
...Everyday Purchases are: ... $400 or less of gasoline at gas stations located in the U.S. (superstores, supermarkets and warehouse clubs that sell gasoline are not considered gas stations)... A >$400 purchase at a gas station will get 5% for the first $400 and 1% thereafter. E.g., for something, say, $503.95, you would earn $21.04 CB [($400*5%)+(103.95*1%)].

5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 23 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2013-2014)

Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:55 pm
  #391  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Down South, The Desert
Programs: Marriot Rewards, Southwest Rapid rewards, Emerald Club, Avis Preferred
Posts: 1,871
Originally Posted by vagrants
Agree. I hope "hit and burn" people will get FRs and account closure.

The end may be near though. One &*(*(& posted a thing on a AMEX Facebook saying something about Manufactured Spending & referencing blogs.
Smh. That stinks.

I'm going to burn enough to get cash back and avoid account closure. Some folks on here are scared to buy a $500 VR.
TheDapperDon is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 5:59 pm
  #392  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: KWI
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 806
Originally Posted by vagrants
Agree. I hope "hit and burn" people will get FRs and account closure.

The end may be near though. One &*(*(& posted a thing on a AMEX Facebook saying something about Manufactured Spending & referencing blogs.
Seriously?! Saying what?

Or are you referring the "Which grocery stores count?" post?
LoneTree is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:02 pm
  #393  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,944
Originally Posted by LoneTree
Seriously?! Saying what?

Or are you referring the "Which grocery stores count?" post?
Stan Hansen What's the reason for bringing the Blue Cash card back? Manufactured spending blogs like http://saverocity.com/pfdigest/unlimited-5-still-play/ and http://freequentflyerbook.com/.../5-...ck-is-back-for... and internet forums are all over it so they can take significant advantage like the Blue Cash Preferred uncapped.

is the quote from Facebook. (Unless vagrants saw another)
silver6054 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:06 pm
  #394  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: KWI
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 806
Originally Posted by silver6054
Stan Hansen What's the reason for bringing the Blue Cash card back? Manufactured spending blogs like http://saverocity.com/pfdigest/unlimited-5-still-play/ and http://freequentflyerbook.com/.../5-...ck-is-back-for... and internet forums are all over it so they can take significant advantage like the Blue Cash Preferred uncapped.

is the quote from Facebook. (Unless vagrants saw another)
What a crazy move. Does he think he's going to protect his own spending by publicizing it or something? All that's going to do is get it shut down for himself too.

Unless it's one of those people who thinks everything we're doing is unethical.
LoneTree is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:07 pm
  #395  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,944
Originally Posted by jeam3130
i dont think thats a good attitude. i understand the philosophy, but you can also be part of the solution
It's all relative. Lots of people think any MS is evil and bad. Those who do indulge know that the amount they do is moderate and those that do more are greedy and risking having the game shut down.

As for being part of the solution, did you find out about the card from this thread?
silver6054 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:09 pm
  #396  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,944
Originally Posted by LoneTree
What a crazy move. Does he think he's going to protect his own spending by publicizing it or something? All that's going to do is get it shut down for himself too.

Unless it's one of those people who thinks everything we're doing is unethical.
I think the latter. Tone sounds disapproving! Maybe Amex will thank him by giving him an APR reduction. Or may be his reward is just knowing he did the right thing.
silver6054 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:13 pm
  #397  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 809
You really think Amex had no clue about MS until now?
cashback is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 6:16 pm
  #398  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: KWI
Programs: AA EXP
Posts: 806
Originally Posted by cashback
You really think Amex had no clue about MS until now?
They don't need more attention. The Mint was known for quite a while and even had a good amount of publicity until one day it received too much.
LoneTree is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:36 pm
  #399  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 252
Originally Posted by LoneTree
They don't need more attention. The Mint was known for quite a while and even had a good amount of publicity until one day it received too much.
Of course AMEX knows about it! They just choose to have this credit cards as long as it is profitable to them. But the moment this schemes get a lot of press, that's the moment when more and more people begin abusing the card. And at that point, they begin to lose more money paying MS'ers than earning with the other customers. It's just a business decision after all. I hope this card lasts, people don't kill it in one month of glory. That's just stupid.
andres17 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 7:44 pm
  #400  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by andres17
Of course AMEX knows about it! They just choose to have this credit cards as long as it is profitable to them. But the moment this schemes get a lot of press, that's the moment when more and more people begin abusing the card. And at that point, they begin to lose more money paying MS'ers than earning with the other customers. It's just a business decision after all. I hope this card lasts, people don't kill it in one month of glory. That's just stupid.
Well lets just let the bloggers write easy 123 guides to ms... Because hey its been written about already so why cant i?

(If that happens again it will kill this)
Marathon Man is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:47 pm
  #401  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 139
anyone know if you lose your amex reward points if you do a product change?
co.miller89 is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 8:51 pm
  #402  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,053
you would
Marathon Man is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:19 pm
  #403  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Programs: AA, SPG, MR, UR, Cash Back!
Posts: 606
I highly doubt this card will die anytime soon. Its not like everyone that has an Amex card only uses it for MS. Over on the other site people have given some pretty bold claims on the amount of dollars earned in MS. Even if it is slightly true they are probably less than 1% of all Amex card holders.
Fuerza is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:29 pm
  #404  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: RDU
Programs: A few
Posts: 5,499
Originally Posted by Marathon Man
Well lets just let the bloggers write easy 123 guides to ms... Because hey its been written about already so why cant i?

(If that happens again it will kill this)
Well let's do $150k spend a month because that won't kill it
ma91pmh is offline  
Old Jan 9, 2014, 9:46 pm
  #405  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: BOS, MHT
Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Posts: 10,053
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Well let's do $150k spend a month because that won't kill it
actually on TYP last month I only hit 135k. Not $150.
Marathon Man is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.