Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 28, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Posts in 2017 onwards are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1826121-visa-gc-walmart-2017-a.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:15 am

Apologies for my confusion, but:

When I have tried to purchase variable load GCs at WM in the past, tender had to be cash or debit. Does this report indicate that such purchases can now be made by CC?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Apologies for my confusion, but:

When I have tried to purchase variable load GCs at WM in the past, tender had to be cash or debit. Does this report indicate that such purchases can now be made by CC?
It seems that you can buy the Suntrust bank variable loads with a credit card. These, at least in my walmart, are holiday themed variable load visas.

I believe all other variable load GCs are still cash/debit.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 9:02 am
jk2

Originally Posted by blt7cd
It seems that you can buy the Suntrust bank variable loads with a credit card. These, at least in my walmart, are holiday themed variable load visas.

I believe all other variable load GCs are still cash/debit.
Not SunTrust - Sunrise visa gift cards.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:19 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by jk2
Not SunTrust - Sunrise visa gift cards.
and you guys are saying that previous series of VGCs, say Birthday themed, ussued by University National Bank are hardcoded at register to debit/cash, but newer series by Sunrise are not?..

I use to buy former with no problem from couple of neighbouring WMs until very recent, when register stopped accepting my CC (so did manager who was brought in to unlock register )
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by ricohitman
So I guess the purchase third party gift card, with WM GC is YMMV? I know you can do it online.
and you and up with cards with non working pins (see last several pages of the thread).
Old Nov 11, 2013, 10:36 am
jk2

Originally Posted by pier11
and you guys are saying that previous series of VGCs, say Birthday themed, ussued by University National Bank are hardcoded at register to debit/cash, but newer series by Sunrise are not?..

I use to buy former with no problem from couple of neighbouring WMs until very recent, when register stopped accepting my CC (so did manager who was brought in to unlock register )
In my WM visa's GC are fine, only MC are coded as cash. Well, it does not eliminate the possibility, of course, that cashier would not proceed with purchase and will call supervisor who will state that all GC'c are cash only.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by atxtravel
Can anyone please post the results of attempting to pay with Walmart gift cards? I have some in the mail and will try it myself when I get a chance.
Only issue I encountered are the over zealous cashiers. The registers allow purchase of GCs with WMGC. As usual, it's YMMV. Side note, I haven't done this in a couple months so things could have changed as noted below.

Originally Posted by pier11

Same here, never had an issue buying any GC from WM with a CC, GC, WMGC.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by jonnyd13
Only issue I encountered are the over zealous cashiers. The registers allow purchase of GCs with WMGC. As usual, it's YMMV. Side note, I haven't done this in a couple months so things could have changed as noted below.

Same here, never had an issue buying any GC from WM with a CC, GC, WMGC.
I had problems buying $500 VGC recently, but I'll try those other cards next week.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone tried to purchase the Sunrise GC at self checkout?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Corridor!
Has anyone tried to purchase the Sunrise GC at self checkout?
I am pretty sure you cannot, or at least need an assistance.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:44 pm

What's the max you can load per card?
Old Nov 11, 2013, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by aegt123
What's the max you can load per card?
$500
Old Nov 12, 2013, 6:35 am
Original Poster

I tried to purchase one and pay partially with a Walmart GC. The register said tender not allowed. Then the register wouldn't let any payment go through. After about 60 seconds it allowed me to pay with cc.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:00 am

why go through the extra step to buy a walmart gc to turn into a variable visa gc?

are you saying that they allow you to buy walmart gc with cc, but unable to buy variable visa gc with cc?

YMMV, of course.
Old Nov 12, 2013, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by stimulus
why go through the extra step to buy a walmart gc to turn into a variable visa gc?

are you saying that they allow you to buy walmart gc with cc, but unable to buy variable visa gc with cc?

YMMV, of course.
You can purchase a walmart gift card at a discount (~3%). That 3% can go towards paying the VGC purchase fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.