Visa GC/ Walmart(through 2016)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Feb 27, 17, 2:48 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Wiki Link
Posts in 2017 onwards are here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...rt-2017-a.html

Tips in Reading Your Walmart Receipt to Prevent Errors

1. Locate the barcode on the back of the Sunnie; this is what Wally uses to load it; somehow their system links the barcode with the account number in the background. The barcode number is what goes on your receipt.
2. Find the "loading" of the Sunnie at the BOTTOM of your receipt. (NOT the top)
3. The last four numbers of the barcode will be shown; that is how you match it to the Sunnie.

What Happens if a Clerk Attempts to Load 1 Sunnie Twice

It will tie up your CC money for 5-8 business days. It will automatically credit back at that time.

Misc. Issues

1. Reports indicate that some stores only accept cash/debit for GC. This doesn't appear to be the case in every store so YMMV.

2. In the same store (or during multiple transactions) misinformed CSRs may tell you "no credit cards." Try a different CSR, or go back.

3. If you receive a "tender not allowed" message or the first swipe didn't work, ask to try it again but don't argue the point. (For some reason, pin-enabled cards fail or take several attempts before they work.)

4. Remember: if your card didn't work and the CSR insists on seeing it or says "no CC allowed" it's best to try a different CSR, lane, or store.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Nov 11, 13, 8:15 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,035
Apologies for my confusion, but:

When I have tried to purchase variable load GCs at WM in the past, tender had to be cash or debit. Does this report indicate that such purchases can now be made by CC?
tuphat is offline  
Old Nov 11, 13, 8:26 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Live in Columbia, MO. Fly COU, STL, or MCI.
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by tuphat View Post
Apologies for my confusion, but:

When I have tried to purchase variable load GCs at WM in the past, tender had to be cash or debit. Does this report indicate that such purchases can now be made by CC?
It seems that you can buy the Suntrust bank variable loads with a credit card. These, at least in my walmart, are holiday themed variable load visas.

I believe all other variable load GCs are still cash/debit.
blt7cd is offline  
Old Nov 11, 13, 9:02 am
  #18  
jk2
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,409
Originally Posted by blt7cd View Post
It seems that you can buy the Suntrust bank variable loads with a credit card. These, at least in my walmart, are holiday themed variable load visas.

I believe all other variable load GCs are still cash/debit.
Not SunTrust - Sunrise visa gift cards.
jk2 is offline  
Old Nov 11, 13, 10:19 am
  #19  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: JFK
Programs: *$ Gold :)
Posts: 1,061
Originally Posted by jk2 View Post
Not SunTrust - Sunrise visa gift cards.
and you guys are saying that previous series of VGCs, say Birthday themed, ussued by University National Bank are hardcoded at register to debit/cash, but newer series by Sunrise are not?..

I use to buy former with no problem from couple of neighbouring WMs until very recent, when register stopped accepting my CC (so did manager who was brought in to unlock register )
pier11 is offline  
Old Nov 11, 13, 10:22 am
  #20  
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: JFK
Programs: *$ Gold :)
Posts: 1,061
Originally Posted by ricohitman View Post
So I guess the purchase third party gift card, with WM GC is YMMV? I know you can do it online.
and you and up with cards with non working pins (see last several pages of the thread).
pier11 is offline  
Old Nov 11, 13, 10:36 am
  #21  
jk2
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,409
Originally Posted by pier11 View Post
and you guys are saying that previous series of VGCs, say Birthday themed, ussued by University National Bank are hardcoded at register to debit/cash, but newer series by Sunrise are not?..

I use to buy former with no problem from couple of neighbouring WMs until very recent, when register stopped accepting my CC (so did manager who was brought in to unlock register )
In my WM visa's GC are fine, only MC are coded as cash. Well, it does not eliminate the possibility, of course, that cashier would not proceed with purchase and will call supervisor who will state that all GC'c are cash only.
jk2 is offline  
Old Nov 11, 13, 11:23 am
  #22  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 304
Originally Posted by atxtravel View Post
Can anyone please post the results of attempting to pay with Walmart gift cards? I have some in the mail and will try it myself when I get a chance.
Only issue I encountered are the over zealous cashiers. The registers allow purchase of GCs with WMGC. As usual, it's YMMV. Side note, I haven't done this in a couple months so things could have changed as noted below.

Originally Posted by pier11 View Post
and you guys are saying that previous series of VGCs, say Birthday themed, ussued by University National Bank are hardcoded at register to debit/cash, but newer series by Sunrise are not?..

I use to buy former with no problem from couple of neighbouring WMs until very recent, when register stopped accepting my CC (so did manager who was brought in to unlock register )
Same here, never had an issue buying any GC from WM with a CC, GC, WMGC.
jonnyd13 is offline  
Old Nov 11, 13, 11:26 am
  #23  
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by jonnyd13 View Post
Only issue I encountered are the over zealous cashiers. The registers allow purchase of GCs with WMGC. As usual, it's YMMV. Side note, I haven't done this in a couple months so things could have changed as noted below.



Same here, never had an issue buying any GC from WM with a CC, GC, WMGC.
I had problems buying $500 VGC recently, but I'll try those other cards next week.
atxtravel is offline  
Old Nov 11, 13, 2:19 pm
  #24  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 576
Has anyone tried to purchase the Sunrise GC at self checkout?
Corridor! is offline  
Old Nov 11, 13, 2:36 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 601
Originally Posted by Corridor! View Post
Has anyone tried to purchase the Sunrise GC at self checkout?
I am pretty sure you cannot, or at least need an assistance.
godsquare is offline  
Old Nov 11, 13, 6:44 pm
  #26  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LAX
Posts: 546
What's the max you can load per card?
aegt123 is offline  
Old Nov 11, 13, 6:45 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 601
Originally Posted by aegt123 View Post
What's the max you can load per card?
$500
godsquare is offline  
Old Nov 12, 13, 6:35 am
  #28  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ORD
Posts: 576
I tried to purchase one and pay partially with a Walmart GC. The register said tender not allowed. Then the register wouldn't let any payment go through. After about 60 seconds it allowed me to pay with cc.
Corridor! is offline  
Old Nov 12, 13, 7:00 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 71
why go through the extra step to buy a walmart gc to turn into a variable visa gc?

are you saying that they allow you to buy walmart gc with cc, but unable to buy variable visa gc with cc?

YMMV, of course.
stimulus is offline  
Old Nov 12, 13, 7:21 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Live in Columbia, MO. Fly COU, STL, or MCI.
Posts: 95
Originally Posted by stimulus View Post
why go through the extra step to buy a walmart gc to turn into a variable visa gc?

are you saying that they allow you to buy walmart gc with cc, but unable to buy variable visa gc with cc?

YMMV, of course.
You can purchase a walmart gift card at a discount (~3%). That 3% can go towards paying the VGC purchase fee.
blt7cd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread