Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2013, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
As of 6/19/2014, Walmart does not accept debit transactions above $49.99 from cards issued by Bancorp, namely Vanilla Visas (OV, VGC, etc.). Attempts result in "Alternate Tender Required," "Debit Not Available," and/or some other error message, at both registers and the Money Center Express (MCE, kiosk, Kate, ATM).

There is no workaround.
Print Wikipost

Problem loading Bluebird with Vanilla Visa GC

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by curiousGal
I am familiar with BB loading issues. But I recently ran into an issue when I had couple of failures loading BB. Bought one vanilla and tried to load BB with it. I have been doing the "Change payment" method for a long time now. It usually works.

Last week, it said "Debit not approved" and when I tried the second time, it said - "debit not available". The rep was impatient, so I had to stop trying again. Btw, I am within the daily and monthly limits of BB.

I went home and saw that all the balance in OV is gone! Called BB and they have no record of a failed transaction. Called OV, they said transaction went through alright, no holds, no pending, no issues.

I had to be out of town next day for 6 days, so I didn't get a chance to go to Walmart to inquire. I checked with BB and they opened a ticket. They got back to me and said, after their 'clinical diagnosis', they couldn't find anything wrong on their end.

I plan to:
- Visit the walmart and talk to the manager. But he may be furious to know abt the VGC and not debit card.
- Plan to dispute with BB.

What else can I do?
Thanks.
This sucks. I have only heard of this going the other way. But here's my advice, do not tell the manager that it's a VGC rather than debit card. You actually will have to speak to the account dept b/c they will have record of all transactions and will be able to see if a $500 purchase went through that wasn't credit. Make sure to have a copy of your statement so you know the exact time that the transaction happened. Also, have you rechecked your OV card online? Sometimes they take a little time to reimburse your money for failed transactions.

Good luck!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
This sucks. I have only heard of this going the other way. But here's my advice, do not tell the manager that it's a VGC rather than debit card. You actually will have to speak to the account dept b/c they will have record of all transactions and will be able to see if a $500 purchase went through that wasn't credit. Make sure to have a copy of your statement so you know the exact time that the transaction happened. Also, have you rechecked your OV card online? Sometimes they take a little time to reimburse your money for failed transactions.

Good luck!
I did check with OV and called them again and they say they see no problem! It is approved. At WM, even if I take my statement, it clearly says InComm, which would let the manager know that it is a gift card.

I am still thinking of strategies on how to get around this whole thing....
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I did check with OV and called them again and they say they see no problem! It is approved. At WM, even if I take my statement, it clearly says InComm, which would let the manager know that it is a gift card.

I am still thinking of strategies on how to get around this whole thing....
Just b/c it saying Incomm doesn't mean that the manager necessarily knows that Incomm is a gift card company so you may be fretting over that part of nothing. Not ALL managers are "in-the-know." Also the people that own OV also own MyVanilla which is a reloadable prepaid card (not gift), if I am not mistaken. However, you will probably have to talk to the accounting dept. Manager will only direct you to them. That's not as much he/she can do w/o actually seeing the numbers in front of them.

Stop worrying about "how to get around it" and just focus on getting your money back.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Went to feed the bird at WM today. Used the MC kiosk and loaded the first $500 from the Visa GC just fine. The second $500 GC wouldn't load, and the machine spat out a ticket with "Debit Not Approved -- Call Authorizer." I tried three times, and on the third time the kiosk halted the transaction and the following message came onscreen: "A WM Associate will be available to complete your transaction for your protection..." Exasperated, I went to the money center associate. She tried to load BB from her station, and it didn't work. It asked for the pin and everything both at the MC desk and at the kiosk. She told me to call the BB phone number on the back. I then tried to buy a MO with my Visa GC, and it was declined, too.

Anyone know what's going on? I NEED to get this second GC unloaded...
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:02 am

Interesting change in the process again today.
Now the cashier does not have to hit a button when it says
"waiting for cashier" and it automatically goes to process as credit. I know some have had this before but I always have time if they do not press anything. As of today, I need to be the fastest draw in the west to hit cancel on time.
done for the month finally.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Went to feed the bird at WM today. Used the MC kiosk and loaded the first $500 from the Visa GC just fine. The second $500 GC wouldn't load, and the machine spat out a ticket with "Debit Not Approved -- Call Authorizer." I tried three times, and on the third time the kiosk halted the transaction and the following message came onscreen: "A WM Associate will be available to complete your transaction for your protection..." Exasperated, I went to the money center associate. She tried to load BB from her station, and it didn't work. It asked for the pin and everything both at the MC desk and at the kiosk. She told me to call the BB phone number on the back. I then tried to buy a MO with my Visa GC, and it was declined, too.

Did you verify the balance on your Visa GC?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 8:37 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum

This happened to me recently. I had to call the customer service line on the back and have them put a ticket in. For some reason the card wasn't activated properly at the store. It's a pain.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 9:20 am

Are you possibly at your max monthly load? That's the error message you get when you try to add more than $5000. Also note that "the authorizer" the system is referencing here is AmEx... as "the authorizer" of your Serve card. They are not referring to the issuer of your gift card.
Old Jun 13, 2014, 4:54 pm

Probably just a card with a faulty PIN. Many people have had that problem occasionally, the only option is really to go with a CC load option (AFT, AP, etc.) or use for normal spend. It shouldn't be a problem because you don't MS with money you don't have, right?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 5:57 pm

I plan to:
- Visit the walmart and talk to the manager. But he may be furious to know abt the VGC and not debit card.
- Plan to dispute with BB.

What else can I do?
Thanks.
I had similar issue, except it was a VR that failed to load to BB. InComm said they sent the money, Amex said they never received it. I wound up filing a complaint with my state banking board, which regulates money transmitters like InComm. After the regulator contacted InComm, they quickly sent Amex the funds and all was well.

I'd be surprised if there's anything WM can or will do, esp. at the store level. Also, there's not a lot BB can do, since they say they didn't receive the money. I'd bet the problem lies with InComm, which is where I suggest you focus.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:02 am

Deleted

Problem solved

Last edited by pansarah1; Jun 19, 2014 at 12:22 pm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by pansarah1

Now - I have three kids and three houseguests staying with me.

Any advice on what to do here?
Tend to your kids and your houseguests... seriously.

Something like that will get sorted out. Hold on to your receipts, the card, screenshot the deposits, etc.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by RJP3
Tend to your kids and your houseguests...
Yeah - I've got that part covered. Wondered if in all this transition with BB if anyone else had heard something similar.

Thanks

Last edited by pansarah1; Jun 19, 2014 at 12:23 pm
Old Jun 14, 2014, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by pansarah1
I just wondered if I should try the cards I have left or wait until this fiasco gets straightened out.

Hmmm...

Try them now? Or wait until this fiasco get's straightened out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNjcuZ-LiSY&

[shakehead]
Old Jun 18, 2014, 4:19 pm

Anyone has issues loading BB or Serve today at WM? A handful of new posts reporting GCs not working for MO and BP today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.