Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude
What's next? Graduation season? Mothers day? Fathers day?
I definitely remember it for Father's Day last year. Maybe we will see an Easter/Mother's Day promo?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 6:42 pm

It seems that there's a problem with using Stop and Shop (NY) gas points at Shell stations tonight. I had 3,700 points left for today. I was able to redeem 2,200 points this morning, leaving 1,500 points. Tried to use the remaining points tonight at two different Shell stations, but the pump screen says I only earned $0.10. I dropped by a Stop&Shop after failing at the first Shell, bought something and the receipt confirmed that I still have 1,500 points. Tried again at a different Shell and it showed the same 10 cent discount.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by djca
It seems that there's a problem with using Stop and Shop (NY) gas points at Shell stations tonight. I had 3,700 points left for today. I was able to redeem 2,200 points this morning, leaving 1,500 points. Tried to use the remaining points tonight at two different Shell stations, but the pump screen says I only earned $0.10. I dropped by a Stop&Shop after failing at the first Shell, bought something and the receipt confirmed that I still have 1,500 points. Tried again at a different Shell and it showed the same 10 cent discount.
same here. checked i had enough points this morning. in the afternoon, there was only $.10 available. last time, i sent in a copy of the receipts and they sent me a gift card. will do it again.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA PLT, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ashap
Should be limited to just what is in the photo which I think was a few restaurants. I'll try out some VGC tomorrow though and report back.
I just verified (I missed it after looking through the paper earlier today) that this [3x Gas Points on Mainly Restaurant Gift Cards in pic] deal exists at the Giant stores next to DCA.

I'm curious if anyone gets any luck getting 3x Gas Points for a VGC or the US Bank variable MC (I had luck with that during the 5x Gas Point deal).

If someone gets points and posts it - there might be a shortage of those cards around here ^

-jeremy
Old Mar 22, 2014, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by djca
Same thing happened to me, so I went to an actual stop and shop gas station after Shell only showed 10 cents off and it gave me the $1.50 off for the 1,500 points I had. Maybe S & S and Shell's data sharing only gives you 29 days or something like that.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 1:06 pm

Unfortunately, this does not seem to be working on variable reload MC or V. I bought $500 of each and 0 gas points earned.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by VandyBDL
Same thing happened to me, so I went to an actual stop and shop gas station after Shell only showed 10 cents off and it gave me the $1.50 off for the 1,500 points I had. Maybe S & S and Shell's data sharing only gives you 29 days or something like that.
I tried again today and successfully used the remaining 1,500 points.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: All, but no status!
Originally Posted by tarcapone
Unfortunately, this does not seem to be working on variable reload MC or V. I bought $500 of each and 0 gas points earned.
Would you mind being specific about which ones you purchased? The ad does say that it excludes reloadable cards – did you purchase only variable cards that are also reloadable? Or did you purchase the original vanilla visa card that may only be loaded once, up to $500?

For my part, I purchased a PayPower Visa card, as I had planned to do before this promo was advertised, and I don't seem to have gotten any points for it.

The only upshot is that it makes it very easy to use the coupons that also require a $25 minimum purchase, such as for jiff peanut butter and cheese it crackers this week.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by pawtim
The only upshot is that it makes it very easy to use the coupons that also require a $25 minimum purchase, such as for jiff peanut butter and cheese it crackers this week.
I've been told GC purchases no longer apply to the $25 minimum spend at my S&S.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 5:22 pm

Should be limited to just what is in the photo which I think was a few restaurants. I'll try out some VGC tomorrow though and report back.
I tried the variable load VGC (purple package) no gas points awarded as expected.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:52 pm

One of my local S&S in CT gave me gas points on the VGC today.
Old Mar 22, 2014, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by pawtim
Would you mind being specific about which ones you purchased? The ad does say that it excludes reloadable cards – did you purchase only variable cards that are also reloadable? Or did you purchase the original vanilla visa card that may only be loaded once, up to $500?
I purchased a variable Mastercard and variable Visa, the ones you can load with $20-$500 and then dispose of. They were not re-loadable cards.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Rossir
One of my local S&S in CT gave me gas points on the VGC today.
Can you elaborate? Which VGC? Were the points automatic or did they give them to you as an adjustment?
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:28 am

Can you elaborate? Which VGC? Were the points automatic or did they give them to you as an adjustment?
Meta bank. 20 to 500. Automatic.
Old Mar 23, 2014, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by Rossir
Quote: Originally Posted by ashap

Meta bank. 20 to 500. Automatic.
Thanks for the data point!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.