FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1495260-stop-shop-giant-supermarkets-gas-rewards-points-gift-card-purchases.html)

travellingdoc1121 Aug 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Data point:
A couple of days ago before the promotion, I did not get ANY fuel point when I got $1500 variable visa card at S&S at Cross County Mall. I also stopped by Eastchester and Bronx, and neither had variable gift cards. Anyone else share?

greendx Aug 19, 2013 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz (Post 21296305)
Since you posted this, I might as well just go out and say it.

Stop & Shop allows you to buy variable load debit visa's with a credit card. :D

Maybe where you live. Mine no longer lets me buy any GCs of any value via CC.

brownie20 Aug 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by MaineFlyer16 (Post 21297432)
According to SD forum, you only earn 1x on GC purchases in NJ. Be aware that if you buy over $2000 in GC in a day, they will want to record all of your personal information in a log book at the service desk. I am not sure where that info goes, so I have been buying only $1500 per trip.

i didnt know about the $2000 g/c rule - that must be why they didn't want to sell me more than $2000 worth of goods at a time! i thought it was odd because i had bought $2500 previously without any problems!

Originally Posted by freeflyin (Post 21297654)
Stop and Shop = Giant, depending on your location.

You will often see items labelled with the other brand in the stores,depending on warehouse shipments and availability.

i just thought it was cute because i remember giant from my baltimore days - i even have one of my old reward cards from there somewhere...

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121 (Post 21301081)
Data point:
A couple of days ago before the promotion, I did not get ANY fuel point when I got $1500 variable visa card at S&S at Cross County Mall. I also stopped by Eastchester and Bronx, and neither had variable gift cards. Anyone else share?

yup no points if no promo running. i bought gift cards to meet minimum spends when there were no promotions and also got zero points. and i've also noticed some stores run low on variable load g/c's near the end of the promotional period :(

augustus21 Aug 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 21301082)

It varies by store. The S&S down the street does not carry variable GCs, but I'm still on the hunt. If I find any gold, free (well, highly discounted) gas for all :D

WhateverDude Aug 20, 2013 5:48 am

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121 (Post 21301081)
Data point:

+1. I've got a bonus category card so I pick some up now and then even when there is no promo. Zero points during non-promo times. Feast or famine.

thebat Aug 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by greendx (Post 21301082)

It's pretty much no good in Southern CT. I was doing OK with it till about three weeks ago. I'm talking about Visa GC with the picture of a present on it.
No one will say why policy changed.

travellingdoc1121 Aug 20, 2013 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by WhateverDude (Post 21303360)
+1. I've got a bonus category card so I pick some up now and then even when there is no promo. Zero points during non-promo times. Feast or famine.

So you did get points for buying variable gift cards? T&C states no reloadable but I guess visa variables are ok?

JohnnyGraz Aug 21, 2013 5:45 am

Originally Posted by travellingdoc1121 (Post 21307758)
So you did get points for buying variable gift cards? T&C states no reloadable but I guess visa variables are ok?

A reloadable prepaid CC is different then a variable load.

WhateverDude Aug 21, 2013 6:40 am

Originally Posted by thebat (Post 21306792)
It's pretty much no good in Southern CT. I was doing OK with it till about three weeks ago. I'm talking about Visa GC with the picture of a present on it.
No one will say why policy changed.

Central CT is a free for all. Of the 5(ish) S&S in my area, all allow purchase of those same cards you mention with CC. Make a run. Central CT is nice.

JohnnyGraz Aug 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Just bought $1000 from the S&S next to my work. Checked my S&S account online and...YEP! 2,000 points :)

zenride Aug 21, 2013 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz (Post 21312076)
Checked my S&S account online and...YEP! 2,000 points :)

Points should be shown on the receipt at time of purchase.

JohnnyGraz Aug 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by zenride (Post 21312426)
Points should be shown on the receipt at time of purchase.

Yes they are BUT...In this case it showed my aggregate as being the same amount as when I finished the first of the two transactions PLUS only 2 points (the candy bar I added). At first it made me wonder whether it was capped at 1,000 points a day under the promotion. A quick check online proved otherwise.

brownie20 Aug 21, 2013 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz (Post 21313373)
Yes they are BUT...In this case it showed my aggregate as being the same amount as when I finished the first of the two transactions PLUS only 2 points (the candy bar I added). At first it made me wonder whether it was capped at 1,000 points a day under the promotion. A quick check online proved otherwise.

i've sometimes noticed that if i have 2 transactions pretty close in time to one another the points aren't updated correctly at the bottom of the receipt. and like you i've been reassured with the correct balance after checking online :)

UserMark Aug 22, 2013 11:41 am

I can confirm that a $500 variable Visa (with the 5.95 fee) does indeed produce 1000 points.

JohnnyGraz Aug 22, 2013 1:44 pm

How often does S&S hold these promotions?