Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 28, 2014, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chelski
If you buy GCs when they are not on promotion, you get no gas points. Zero, Zero, Zero. NOT 1X.

Current GC Promotion: None (so you will get zero gas points for buying Amex, Visa, or MC gift cards)

Stop & Shop (S&S) and Giant Food Stores (Giant) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for discounts off gas purchases at select gas stations. The rules are different depending on whether you shop at S&S or Giant and within the Giant chain, the rules vary by your location.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

S&S Gas Rewards website

Giant Gas Rewards website

IMPORTANT: Giant Food Stores, LLC and Giant of Maryland, LLC are different chains and the rules are different for redemption! For a great explanation of why they are different read Post #839.

Current S&S promo: none

Current Giant (PA) promo: 2X points on AMEX ends 12/10

Current Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promo: none

Past S&S promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase

Past Giant (PA) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/22/14 - 7/12/14 4x for VGC purchase
6/07/15 - 6/13/15 3x for VGC purchase
7/5/15 - 7/11/15 2x for VGC purchase
8/2/15 - 8/8/15 2x for VGC purchase
10/16/15 - 10/22/15 2x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

Past Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) promos (will help track the cycle of when these bonuses start and end):
6/20/14 - 7/10/14 4x for VGC purchase
12/4/15 - 12/10/15 2x for AMEX GC purchase

FAQs

You need to obtain a Rewards card at the Customer Service desk before you can start getting gas rewards.

Cards that work are listed in the current circular. They do change occasionally. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank.

S&S and Giant (NoVA, DC, MD) allows you to redeem gas points only up to $2.20/gallon and points expire after 30 days. Giant PA can redeem full amount.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program, BUT there are reports that you can call Customer Service and x-fer points to the other programs. See post #512

S&S allows you to fill up more than once per day.

Giant may ask for your name and driver's license to write in a book if you make a certain level of purchases. Some stores it is for >$2k and some for $5k. YMMV.

You can access your Giant Gas Rewards online using the link at the top of the thread.

Most people report they can buy a single $500 MC or VISA at any register without an issue. Generally, if you spend more than $1,000 a manager will be required to come over to the register with a key. It's not been reported that this is an issue, just to be aware if the register is busy. You can go checkout at Customer Service to avoid this hassle.

Giant Eagle (Pittsburgh area) is not the same as Giant Food Stores and this deal doesn't work.

If you have more points than are required for your redemption they will remain in your account until they expire. i.e. If you have 10,000 points and you redeem 2,200 for a fillup, you will have 7,800 points left in your account.

If your bonus card is not scanned with your gift card purchase because of a system or cashier mistake, you can get the points manually added at the cust. svc desk at your local store. Show your receipt, and the employee may need reference to the gift card promo in the Giant sales flyer. It generally takes manually added points 24 hrs to post to your account.
[*]How do gas rewards work when gas is less than $2.20 (based on NoVA Shell stations)?

Giant deducts 2200 points from your account (usually) wishing 24 hours of your gas purchase. In the next 24-48 hours, Giant credits your account for the different between the actual gas price reduction and the 2209 points. Example: 1.999 gas has recently required (late Dec 2015/Jan 2016) paying $0.019 per gallon. Giant deducts 2200 points and then credits 220 ( 2.20 - 1.98; gas price adjusts down to account for the price you paid). The credited points get a new 30 days from starting in the credit date. This has been the case at three different Shell stations in NoVA using inside and pay at the pump. YMMV.
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by iahphx
I've resisted the gas can route, but now I've got 3 cars and (often) only 2 drivers, so it would make sense. I recall folks complaining all the time about the "new" gas cans, though. Can anyone recommend an affordable model that works well?
vp racing makes 5gal cans with long nozzles. they're intended for motocross, but work perfectly for all around use. ~$30 on ebay/amazon.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:54 am

I've resisted the gas can route, but now I've got 3 cars and (often) only 2 drivers, so it would make sense. I recall folks complaining all the time about the "new" gas cans, though. Can anyone recommend an affordable model that works well?
Target sells a nice 5 gallon (look in camping.....may have only one can or may have none). I bought 2 back when they still accepted cc as a "thank you". About $16 and they're nice. I have 2 six gallon cans from KMart that I believe were about $12 each. My Jeep takes nearly 20 gallons and I'll fill the rest of the cans to get 35 gallons. My snowmobile gas tank (12 gallons) serves as storage between runs.

Our family uses about 35 gallons a week, so it works out well for me, when I can take advantage of an offer once a week.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by ramamosn
No. I bought $1K Visa GC yesterday. The Points are not adding up to my bonus card.

I bought one $500 VGC to test after bringing the balance down below $2.20 (only had $0.52 in rewards before purchase) but got zero gas points (not even $0.20). Not sure whats going on but I am definitely not getting any gas points on my VGC purchase after the first 2 that I got during this promotion. This is in VA if that makes any difference.

Anyone other than ramomosn having similar issues?
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by Chelski
I have 5 5-gal containers. I fill those up and my 21 gal minivan. I find it easier to fill up our other car at home than getting wife involved.. I have the 5 containers so that I can get all 35 gallons when my points are expiring. The icing on the cake is getting all the Hilton points for no cost.
^^^ on Hilton points, and Diamond status via spend to boot.

So I guess, I just don't drive enough, as I always have these points expire, even though I fill up both of my cars (12 gallons and 20 gallons) during these promotions. I even lend out the S&S card to my friends to get them some free gas. Our commutes are under 5 miles each way, so there is only so much I can use.

In NJ, they will fill up gas cans for you after you fill up your tank? I know in PA and other places you can pump yourself, but I was wondering how NJ stations handle this one. Appreciate any feedback.

What is a "shelf life" of gasoline? Can you fill up some cans and keep them in your garage? I assume there is some fire safety concerns as well.

Cheers,

PedroNY
Old Oct 21, 2015, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by PedroNY
^^^ on Hilton points, and Diamond status via spend to boot.

So I guess, I just don't drive enough, as I always have these points expire, even though I fill up both of my cars (12 gallons and 20 gallons) during these promotions. I even lend out the S&S card to my friends to get them some free gas. Our commutes are under 5 miles each way, so there is only so much I can use.

In NJ, they will fill up gas cans for you after you fill up your tank? I know in PA and other places you can pump yourself, but I was wondering how NJ stations handle this one. Appreciate any feedback.

What is a "shelf life" of gasoline? Can you fill up some cans and keep them in your garage? I assume there is some fire safety concerns as well.

Cheers,

PedroNY
I believe it's about 2-3 months. With ethanol you don't want it to sit around too long. I don't want to store more than I would use in a short period of time. The newer cans tend to lock the odors/fumes in the can. I just got cans at Walmart in the auto section, but the nozzle isn't as long as I'd like. It gets the job done so I'm going to check out the racing ones on eBay.

Edit: I figure spend $3-4k/month and end up with diamond status and get discounted (or free) gas all year. Slow and steady. Along with a bunch of points.

Last edited by Chelski; Oct 21, 2015 at 9:00 am Reason: HH Diamond
Old Oct 21, 2015, 2:04 pm

I just get the cheapest 5 gal I can find and a nice tapered funnel. Goes way faster than using those stupid nozzles.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
good one

These are really good. It's the only can I've used that doesn't spill at all. I also like the all metal construction. A little pricey, but they are worth it.

Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 21, 2015, 3:27 pm

Programs: US Airways Gold, Marriott Platinum, SW A List
Originally Posted by thebat
These are really good. It's the only can I've used that doesn't spill at all. I also like the all metal construction. A little pricey, but they are worth it.

http://www.amazon.com/Eagle-UI-50-FS...gallon+gas+can
Is your car newer than 2007? Some of the negative reviews seem to say newer cars are hard to fill with this one.
Old Oct 21, 2015, 5:47 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
YMMV (ho ho)

Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
Is your car newer than 2007? Some of the negative reviews seem to say newer cars are hard to fill with this one.
I have a 2014 and a 2005. I use a long funnel that goes into both of them well. Then I pour from the Eagle can into the funnel. With the Eagle I don't spill a drop. Also, transporting the full Eagle can in the back of my SUV is very convenient, they never spill. I can't say that about any other gas can I have used. I have been doing this game with Stop and Shop for the last few years. I always get 35 gallons a fill up.
It really is a PIA, but saving $2.20 a gallon makes it worth it.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, PC Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by heyeaglefn
I have several of the same gas cans, definitely recommended - high quality and easy to use. Both my cars are only a couple of years old, no problem filling them.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by CatJo
I have several of the same gas cans, definitely recommended - high quality and easy to use. Both my cars are only a couple of years old, no problem filling them.
Some of those newer cars have a tiny adapter funnel that's located somewhere behind a folding rear seat or inside the trunk compartment trim... my MIL's car has one of these. My husband and BIL were having a devil of a time trying to put gas in my MIL's car. There's a pic on the fuel door showing the funnel and the owner's manual tells you where it's hidden in the car. I walked over, saw the pic, got the manual and located the funnel... problem solved

I think KMart had the best price on gas cans, and I only found that out after I spent more than I would have liked to spend on them at Walmart... I routinely fill several cans and don't smell gas at all in my van, so those walmart cans must be working just fine. I always remove the cap and spout and pour into a funnel. The funnel doesn't go back in the van until it's air dried (all gas evaporated)
Old Oct 22, 2015, 10:48 am

The thick plastic 1 gal jugs that Arizona Ice Tea comes in work fine for me.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
The thick plastic 1 gal jugs that Arizona Ice Tea comes in work fine for me.
That sure wouldn't work for me. Filled the Jeep that was half full last night, so only 10 gallons. 25 more gallons in cans...... That would have been.....uh.....interesting if I was using a bunch of 1 gallon jugs of questionable plastic composition (some plastics will melt when exposed to gas).
Old Oct 22, 2015, 12:08 pm

I just use as many of the 5 gal gas cans I have around for my generator to get the 35 gals per fillup. I typically don't fill the generator gas cans till there is a storm heading our way, so they are usually empty.

I also use a battery operated pump to put the gas in the vehicles, don't have to hold a 5 gal can trying to pour gas into a funnel.

This is the one I found the best:
Amazon Amazon
Old Oct 22, 2015, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
I also use a battery operated pump to put the gas in the vehicles, don't have to hold a 5 gal can trying to pour gas into a funnel.

This is the one I found the best:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00
How long does it take to empty a 5 gal can? I looked at some reviews but didn't see.

Originally Posted by neony77
I bought one $500 VGC to test after bringing the balance down below $2.20 (only had $0.52 in rewards before purchase) but got zero gas points (not even $0.20). Not sure whats going on but I am definitely not getting any gas points on my VGC purchase after the first 2 that I got during this promotion. This is in VA if that makes any difference.

Anyone other than ramomosn having similar issues?
Bought $3k in NOVA and 6k points showed up instantly. 9000 total points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.