Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Greatest way ever to manufacture spend with HIGC

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 1, 2013, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WhateverDude
Please report any successful debit transactions after 8/1/2013 on the wiki. Currently majority of reports indicate failure after 4PM EST on 8/1/13.

Cannot unload at Walmart as of 4PM EST on 8/1/13.

Retailers listed
Home Depot Sears Ace True Value Lowes Orchard Supply Menards Northern Tool & Equipment Restoration Hardware Tractor Supply Stores Lumber Liquidators Do It Best 84 Lumber United Hardware Aubuchon Hardware Handy Hardware Harbor Freight Sherwin Williams Kelly Moore Dunn Edwards Benjamin Moore ToolUp.Com

List of retailers that accept HIGC to buy other Gift cards

Home Depot, Lowes, Sears
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by teammjs
Curious where you got the $200 from. I bought $150 in g/c yesterday and had to hand it over. Huge Catch-22, because she had to call a manager over since my name wasn't on the card, and I said well if there's no name how would anyone be able to use the card? Ended up letting me go through.

I think best explanation if they ask is that it's a debit if asked(and you're prepared to enter your PIN when asked for security-- of course this won't happen but it should give them better peace-of-mind), since if you argue it's a credit card, they'll wonder what credit card doesn't have a name.
I dunno, just what the cashier told me at Lowes today. Previous experience points to the same asking for card and id at around $200 or so. Obviously this is ymmv since others can liquidate $3k with no issues and some can only do $100 without being asked for id, etc. The guy that rang me up had no issue using this gift card ("oh! it's a gift card, no problem!") without my name on it. Good thing Lowes has lots of good stuff!

Originally Posted by misterno
Stupid question

How do you use HIGC in Lowe's although there is no VS or MC logo on HIGC?

Am I missing something?
Clearly!
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Is this true? For example, if I return a $100 item to Chase Freedom, will I be deducted 100 pts even if I didn't use that card to make the purchase? It won't be a credit/payment?
Sure. Refund transaction will deduct points.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Hmm, anyone tried the refund route by using a BB to pay the initial balance, and then having the full return amount credited back to the BB? Not going to try it, but wondering if that would count against your load limit for the month.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA, AA, US, DL, PC Plat, Dollar, Avis, National, SPG, HH Gold, CC Gold
Is this true? For example, if I return a $100 item to Chase Freedom, will I be deducted 100 pts even if I didn't use that card to make the purchase? It won't be a credit/payment?
Otherwise you would have a miles machine. Buy, get miles, return, buy, get miles, return. You would have a never ending supply of miles and points. Nice dream.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:14 pm

i went to sears today to buy a laptop with the HIGC card and the rest on my CC. Out of curiosity, i asked if my godson doesnt like the laptop, what is your return policy. He said you have 30 days to return it but you will have to pay a 15% restocking fee. Now i know if you dont take it out of the box, you will not but he did not know this so i thought this would be a great excuse to cancel the order. I said i didnt want to risk paying the 15% so cancel it. He said ok and went to a manager to refund the money. The manager was going to put the money back on the HIGC card and the rest on my CC. I didnt know he could do that. Is this possible. If I go back tomorrow to return the laptop and dont have the HIGC card, can they still put it back on the HIGC or make me briing it back or force me to take a sears gift card?

Thanks for your responses
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Delete

Last edited by ricohitman; Aug 4, 2013 at 8:30 pm
Old Aug 4, 2013, 8:41 pm

oracles4444 tell them you already trashed the giftcards and would like the entire refund on your CC....it actually makes it easier since they only have to credit one.

My previous post was an update to a even more previous post where I described, in detail, the weekends toiling for a cashout and points gathering...I used the HH amex to buy a couple of giftcards at Kroger yesterday earning me 2000 fuel points and 5000 HH points (5X grocery store), I'm hoping the credit back from nordstrom will only negate the points for the $100 that I charged on it there...the other $400 credit might lead to a loss of 400 points, but since there is no purchase linked to the credit I hope it will be treated like a payment. In any case I used it because I had a $1000 debt on it due to the Kroger charge...I didn't want to have to ask the CC company for a check for a negative balance.....sorry if I was too detailed, I didn't use pictures and arrows, and this info has popped up in this thread a few times already.

Last edited by wise2u; Aug 4, 2013 at 10:42 pm Reason: craptera snooping on my posts
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: Work in progress.
Originally Posted by balima
Otherwise you would have a miles machine. Buy, get miles, return, buy, get miles, return. You would have a never ending supply of miles and points. Nice dream.
I believe he's talking about returning it to a card that the original purchase was not made with. And NOT use card->get points->return->keep points.
In all probability, the points will be deducted. But if they are, then in all probability, you'll get them back.
You'll have to speak up about it.
I had it happen to me. I called. They verified that the refund for that purchase shouldn't have had points deducted because since that purchase wasn't made with the card, no points were earned for that purchase in the first place.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:15 pm

Programs: Starwood/Hyatt/IHG-PLAT/Hilton-DIA

Went to lowes today...

Bought $1200 in nordy cards no prob for wife's bday

Then took nordy cards to nordys

Bought item at nordys a few hundred dollars over the 1200 for wife's bday, had to use a few hundred from my cc

Wife HATED it and told me to return immediately when she saw it

Went back to nordys an hour later and had to return it, they automatically put it all back on my cc, even though I wanted gift cards to still have for gifts... Oh we'll, ill take the cc credit
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: *$ Gold :)
Originally Posted by rb23lb
Oh we'll, ill take the cc credit
too bad. What's next? Ask for check or compensate with some other purchases?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 9:44 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
A gift card and an HI card number is recorded on the sale, and will be returned to that card, they do not need to card to return it to the card.

Amazon does the same thing.

Do not throw the GC away if you take back the items,

Lot of stories spun up here, retailers keep records, with smart computers.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:00 pm

Programs: US CP, DL GM, AA Plat
Originally Posted by rb23lb

Went back to nordys an hour later and had to return it, they automatically put it all back on my cc, even though I wanted gift cards to still have for gifts... Oh we'll, ill take the cc credit
Getting stuff refunded to a CC that you didn't used to pay for is very risky. Credit card companies will flag this and could blacklist you.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta silver, HH silver, IHG platinum, SPG gold, AMEX platinum
Originally Posted by TAWS
Getting stuff refunded to a CC that you didn't used to pay for is very risky. Credit card companies will flag this and could blacklist you.
The poster put part of it on this CC. It could have been done with a non rewards CC or a debit card..don't see any cause for blacklist.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 11:24 pm

Had anybody had N return something to AMEX Prepaid (blue card before BB)?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by Minos
Btw, I dunno what you have in particular against MMS since he merely reported what was already written and presented with great fanfare here which in itself was already stolen from a rather obscure engineer blog.

Minos
I think it's very telling that no other blog the size of MMS covered this 'opportunity'. He can put on a brave face and revise his posts with urgent red font, but he knows he effed up this time. Mother-in-law rule my ......

Cheers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.