Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2016, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by misterno
Reporting from houston

Went to kroger.

Hi i would like to get a MO for 1,000

Sure, swipe it now. Oh is that a gift card in your hand?

No it is not.

Oh good, we were instructed not to take it.

(I swipe it) and she goes: sir i said no gift cards.

Well but it says debit on it.

It does not matter, gift cards are not allowed.
--------

I walked away. Tomorrow po time...
Not sure why they care. Debit is Debit.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by shitrus
This is the law of the land in Cincinnati as well.

They somehow don't have the ability to let you make multiple purchases AND keep track of that information.
Well sometimes I came back again if I'm still in the same area and buy them again with different clerk.
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:53 pm

i thought the thread title is "Buying Money Orders at Walmart", not "Buying Money Orders at Whatever store you want"
Old Aug 9, 2016, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ninim2200
i thought the thread title is "Buying Money Orders at Walmart", not "Buying Money Orders at Whatever store you want"
I apoologize for my mistake

Where should i have posted?
Old Aug 9, 2016, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by misterno
I apoologize for my mistake

Where should i have posted?
since you were reporting about Krog er in Houston, you should've posted here
Old Aug 10, 2016, 6:20 pm

Bought 2 x 999.30 MOs at WM today using Simon VGCs purchased in-store today, no issues.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:01 pm

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.
It seems that any amount via those cards will not work. Have tried several times for amounts less than $50 to zero out some cards with zero positive results.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by sybloc
It seems that any amount via those cards will not work. Have tried several times for amounts less than $50 to zero out some cards with zero positive results.
you mean they won't work in walmart or in general as PIN debit?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:47 pm

Went to Walmart ~1 week ago for MOs with Simon VGC. Was told they don't take gift cards for MOs. So I left.

Went back today and a different cashier had no problem with me buying two money orders with my Staples VGCs. (2 cards per MO)

So YMMV depending on the cashier. Just always be courteous and nonconfrontational
Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by reverted
Went to Walmart ~1 week ago for MOs with Simon VGC. Was told they don't take gift cards for MOs. So I left.

Went back today and a different cashier had no problem with me buying two money orders with my Staples VGCs. (2 cards per MO)

So YMMV depending on the cashier. Just always be courteous and nonconfrontational
I had the exact same experience a couple of weeks ago. Just said thank you and walked out as if nothing happened. Next time just go to a different CSR and you may be lucky. If you confront them or ask for an explanation, you will be remembered, talked about, and any no-GC policy (official or not) will more likely be enforced...
Old Aug 11, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by reverted
Generally a good rule to begin with. In this hobby it can be good to be remembered if CSRs like you, but you definitely don't want them to remember you for the wrong reasons.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by bodiddely
Bought 2 x 999.30 MOs at WM today using Simon VGCs purchased in-store today, no issues.
Was just denied at two different WM for 4 MOs today.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Denied the ability to buy MOs with a VGC or denied as in the system rejected the cards?
Old Aug 12, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Was it the register that denied it or the cashier? Did you try for just 1 MO for 500 or less without any mention or attempt for additional ones? I've seen denials seemingly by the register that were really because the cashier did something covertly to stop the sale. She was suspicious because of a previous customer who was trying to buy more than 2k worth and then I came in. Some people buying 10k worth are starting to get the boot and then the cashier gets nervous about others. I wish ms'rs would spread out their buying instead of trying to get all their work done in one weekend at 2 locations. Some bloggers openly talk about doing that, encouraging others to "save time" and now they got banned from buying MOs at couple of their local WMs.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by WastedInMargaritaville
you mean they won't work in walmart or in general as PIN debit?
The cards don't work for any amount (it was reported that under $50 works) in the Money Center. They may work to purchase items in WM, in general, but I haven't tried.

If a few people corroborate then perhaps the Wiki should be edited.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.