Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zs58
I'd imagine there are a good number of MS folks using that specific WMT MC for $2K worth of MOs from time to time - it's hard to believe that Money Gram would raise a flag for a few $2K sales driven by one customer. MO purchases are random so they of course do not know how many of the $2K transactions they see are unique to any one person.

I regularly buy $2K worth of MOs at my local WMT and have never had an issue (knocks on wood) but I don't think this area is nearly as active as some in terms of MS/liquidation, etc.
WM has a daily report on MoneyGram transactions and yes, your $2K split payment transactions in a series of sequence can show up like sore thumb if they are looking for structuring to avoid the $3K reporting requirement if they really go hunting. Of course since they dont have your personal data they cannot go investigate you unless you set foot in the same store again. If the management truly want to query you, they could.

The poster got that little chat from the manager is not a random act. The manager is alert by someone possibly in the Cash Receivable dept, who is having a keen eye on the daily report and feels this should be brought to the management's attention.

Last edited by Happy; Oct 22, 2013 at 5:31 pm
Old Oct 23, 2013, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton
I was at walmart last week buying my usual 2k in money orders and was told that they would not allow split tender transactions soon. Has anybody encountered this limitation yet?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 8:14 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Gold, AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, US
Originally Posted by nep301
I was at walmart last week buying my usual 2k in money orders and was told that they would not allow split tender transactions soon. Has anybody encountered this limitation yet?
Yeah CSRs have mentioned that quite a few times...
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:01 am

Have not heard this at the WMTs I frequent.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:09 am

They wouldn't let me split tender on a legit $640 MO for security deposit last week.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 6:15 pm

Programs: All of them!
Originally Posted by kjgco
I buy them at King Soopers (Kroger) regularly with no issues - 59 cents up to $1K, and split tenders are no problem.
Is there a limit on # of cards per transaction? I do a lot of the $200 cards at WM, so most of my visits I buy one $999.30 MO per transaction. Have never been asked for any information regardless of how many $999.30 transactions I do. But if they did not have the 4 cards per transaction limit, I would be happy to do larger transactions.

Have not heard this at the WMTs I frequent.
Have also not heard anything about split tender payments not being allowed in future, and I am well-known enough to the cashiers that I'd guess they would have said something. There is one WM in town that would not let me pay with GC, but that incident was several months ago and I have not attempted to purchase MO there since. I have never had a problem with other WMs, though the cashiers are well aware I pay with GC.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:38 pm

Usually, when I buy MO at WM (always around $2k total per visit), they print the MO with the amount and give it to me. I can fill out payee and payor information at my leisure.

This weekend, however, the WM cashier wanted me to fill out the MO payee line, there at the counter. I'm not sure if she copied the name before giving it back to me, or not.

Any similar experiences on this front?
Old Nov 3, 2013, 7:49 pm

Programs: MR,UR, UA, BA, AA, Hotels
Originally Posted by tuphat
Usually, when I buy MO at WM (always around $2k total per visit), they print the MO with the amount and give it to me. I can fill out payee and payor information at my leisure.

This weekend, however, the WM cashier wanted me to fill out the MO payee line, there at the counter. I'm not sure if she copied the name before giving it back to me, or not.

Any similar experiences on this front?
Just say " thanks, but I'll do that later".
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by rdover1
Just say " thanks, but I'll do that later".
Tried that, but she insisted. Now trying to determine if it was an anomaly or beginning of a trend.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by tuphat
Tried that, but she insisted. Now trying to determine if it was an anomaly or beginning of a trend.
Id say from my weekend workout , it was an anomally. Never ran into that before.Although the other week in FL she did want a pic ID,1st and only time I ran into that. TG I wasnt asked this past wekend
Old Nov 15, 2013, 11:27 am

I tried to buy MO with ST debit card and was denied. I can buy MO at Kroger. Wonder if WT is coded to deny ST debit card?
Old Nov 15, 2013, 6:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Deallover
I tried to buy MO with ST debit card and was denied. I can buy MO at Kroger. Wonder if WT is coded to deny ST debit card?
Use em there 6x a week and never had an issue...clueless cashier probably
Old Nov 15, 2013, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
Use em there 6x a week and never had an issue...clueless cashier probably
Thanks for the data point. It happened twice at different WT. First time, I tried 1k with ST alone and did not go through. Then I went to Kroger and was able to buy 1k with 500 GC and the rest on ST. I went to second WT today and try to pay the last portion of the MO and got denied again.

Guess I will keep trying...
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:30 pm

Programs: CO (RIP), US (RIP), Amtrak. Lots of CC programs.
Just had a problem today with a VGC > MO transaction (error 51), but it's possible the new clerk wasn't hitting the right buttons.

There's no record of a debit from the VGC website.
Old Nov 16, 2013, 12:32 pm

Am I overlooking something, or is Walmart about the only place in town that allows MO purchase via a debit card? All of my grocery stores are cash only. I feel awkward hitting the WM Money Center counter all the time, as neither of my WM's have Kiosks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.