Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
There is a new thread on this topic for 2017. It is here.

As always, YMMV from store to store and cashier to cashier.

Any product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services(like Vanilla VISA, Vanilla MC, and OneVanilla VISA) will not work for swiped-PIN transactions exceeding $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's auto-drain at Walmart.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction.

Before you swipe, the cashier needs to know how much you want removed from each and every Gebit because they need to type in that amount. Of course, the Gebit must have a current balance of that amount or more otherwise you will get Error 51.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just added up the last two months -- I deposited over $760,000 in MOs to my CU this year, and not a peep from them. Most came from WM -- I wonder how many WM visits that was?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
... I deposited over $760,000 in MOs to my CU this year, and not a peep from them.
Do you make them all payable to yourself or the account number?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Do you make them all payable to yourself or the account number?
I make them payable to the CU and put my acct# by the signature on the back.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:57 am

Good idea!
Old Dec 30, 2015, 5:34 am

I've heard multiple people doing this, may I ask what the rationale is? I've always written them payable to myself...
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:17 am

Programs: Emirates, Amex Plat, UA/DL, Hilton/SPG
I just added up the last two months -- I deposited over $760,000 in MOs to my CU this year, and not a peep from them. Most came from WM -- I wonder how many WM visits that was?
Did you buy these MOs with VGCs? if yes, then you paid around $7600 in fees on GCs?? ($5/500VGC on average). The thing is that I don't see any benefit of using MS beyond hitting bonus thresholds on credit cards, which are usually around 30K/year for most cards.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dieselmania
Did you buy these MOs with VGCs? if yes, then you paid around $7600 in fees on GCs?? ($5/500VGC on average). The thing is that I don't see any benefit of using MS beyond hitting bonus thresholds on credit cards, which are usually around 30K/year for most cards.
To each his own. I see it as a way to have great vacations at a lower price. I don't take an accountant's approach to it, but I know I'm taking vacations that I could not otherwise afford. 2-3 overseas trips a year on a middle-class salary is pretty good.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CWAL
I've heard multiple people doing this, may I ask what the rationale is? I've always written them payable to myself...
I used to put them in my name, but occasionally inexperienced tellers would ask questions about why I'm giving MOs to myself. I prefer to be in and out without questions.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 12:30 pm

I used to put them in my name, but occasionally inexperienced tellers would ask questions about why I'm giving MOs to myself. I prefer to be in and out without questions.
There are a couple of banks in my area, whose ATMs accept MO's. Of course those things ask no questions.
Citi accepts MO deposits, but not through ATM's. Citi tellers always give me a hard time when a MO is made payable to the bank -- insisting that checking account deposits must be made payable to the owner.
I was more curious what the issuing bank BOKF might do if they notice that hundreds (in your case thousands) of their cleared checks were payable to the same person. It would be more in line with the MOs intended use that they are made payable to institutions.
Old Dec 30, 2015, 6:51 pm

Ah. The most typical question I get asked (and very rarely at that) is more akin to Q: "Do you personally know the person who gave you this?" A: "Yes, intimately. I trust them fully."

Sometimes I get asked what all the MOs are *for* (or the teller asks me if I just got paid rent), and I just answer "credit card points". I've never really had a follow up question to that one...

And also, of course, to mirror a prior comment, mobile deposit doesn't ask questions, just like the ATM.
Old Dec 31, 2015, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Dieselmania
Op could have purchased gift cards during an office max promotion. Paid zero fees earned points and cash.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 12:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Exclamation

Somehow some way a few members thought it was acceptable to get personal with their posts but this is a blunt reminder that those doing so may find their posting privileges suspended so please stick to the topic at hand challenge the post and not the poster as per FT Rules.

tcook052
MS forum moderator
Old Jan 1, 2016, 9:10 am

So my local WM was very friendly to my MS activities, then yesterday a CSM manning the money center told me that they are no longer doing the "prepaid card thing" because of fraud reasons. She has done many MOs and BB loads for me before, so I was unpleasantly surprised. She even suggested that I try other WM. I was in a bit of hurry so I just put on a sad face and moved on, but I'm wondering if it's not a bad idea to go back and maybe explain what I'm doing, or should I just not bother? IME, MS friendliness at WM is usually cashier-specific so I might have better luck with other cashiers, but I hate wasting a trip to WM because unfriendly person is working the register.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by kenbks
my local WM was very friendly to my MS activities, then yesterday a CSM manning the money center told me that they are no longer doing the "prepaid card thing" because of fraud reasons. She has done many MOs and BB loads for me before...
I would interpret the situation you described as a new policy from the store management. Generally going back to the same money center would be unproductive. However, IME there may be occasional exceptions, e.g. a lone clerk with no lines or witnesses would break the store policy for a known customer.

You can usually do a single load at a checkout register, provided that the cashier is experienced and doesn't need to ask for help from a manager.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 5:52 pm
CDO
Suspended

I read there's a way to buy mo from Walmart using a Wells Fargo 5x card directly. One guy tweeted it, any ideas how? This could be huge!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.