Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 3, 2013, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: markr33
Read the wiki before posting a question.

Check your BB load limits BEFORE asking in this thread about "tender not allowed" or any other errors.

Bluebird website. There's no need to buy a Bluebird kit in-store; sign-up free on the website.

The original FlyerTalk discussion thread is here: Wal-Mart, Amex take on banks with Bluebird debit card

Bluebird Load Limits:
  • BB loading via VR or WM load: $2,500/day and $5,000 total per calendar month
  • Online Debit Card Load* - $200/day and $1,000/month
  • Checking/Savings Account - $2,000/month
  • Checks - $2,000/day and $10,000/month
  • ATM Withdrawals - $750/day and $2,000/month

*For online debit load, only use of bank-issued cards is allowed. The use of pre-paid debit cards (Netspend, Paypower, Univision, Paypal, etc.) and VGC/MGC/AGCs is not allowed. Your account will be flagged upon first/second attempt. If blocked, call Account Protection Services at 1-800-660-2454 to clear it (9am-8pm EST, Mon-Fri).

The day currently resets around midnight Eastern/11pm Central/10pm Mountain/9pm Pacific.

For online bill pay
  • You can pay the credit card that you used to buy reloads
  • Error 1302 means that you have 1 pending payment the same amount as the one you just submitted. For example, 1000 bill pay to sapphire preferred from Friday and then on Saturday you submit another bill pay for 1000 to sapphire preferred, you will get this error.
  • Tip: if using online bill pay to the same place multiple times, vary your amounts by $0.01 to make it easier to track since your confirmation number does not match the tracking number on your credit card statement

Loading with debit card at Walmart
Self checkout does not work for loading.

Many Walmart stores are enforcing a rule against the use of gift cards when loading, even though the register and the MCE do not enforce. Do not make your prepaid debit cards visible. Show them a bank debit card if asked. Otherwise, you may be asked by management to never visit the MC again to load with gift cards.

Loads at register over $500 will sometimes trigger ID requirement. There is a limit of four swipes per transaction; this means your card plus three payments.

If your card doesn't say "debit" on the front, it isn't a debit card.

Please see http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...bit-cards.html for additional information on using prepaid debit cards.

Training a WM cashier:
  • If the WM cashier doesn't know how to load the card, advise them to enter "70" then press "action code".
  • If you are using a temp card that doesn't have your name on it, you can swipe the card from your side of the terminal. The WM rep never has to touch any of your cards. The screen will say "enter account." That is your prompt to slide the card.
  • The terminal will ask the WM employee if you are loading in multiples of $2000. Advise them to enter "no."
  • Avoid saying gift card. Always refer to your card as a debit card.

Error Messages:
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Received when I used a card I thought I had activated but hadn't.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

TENDER NOT ALLOWED
Card was incorrectly read, or wrong PIN entered .

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again. Try again later.

UPdate Notice on Sept 15, 2014.
Some minor changes on the ATM limits and fees:
Out-of-Network ATM Fees:
Beginning October 30, 2014, the fee for withdrawing funds using out-of-network ATMs will increase from $2.00 to $2.50. ATM operator fees may also apply.
Free In-Network MoneyPass® ATMs:
Effective immediately, all Bluebird Customers can withdraw funds for free when using in-network MoneyPass ATMs. You can find one of the more than 24,000 MoneyPass ATMs below.
ATM Withdrawal Limits Increase:
We have increased your daily ATM limit, so you can withdraw up to $750 per day. Your monthly ATM withdrawal limit will remain at $2,000.

-----

•If you use Wal-Mart Savings Catcher, you can earn double rewards by redeeming to your BlueBird account <== Doubling of savings catcher amounts ended sometime in the summer of 2015.
Print Wikipost

Bluebird prepaid debit, now with FDIC insurance and paper checks (2013-2014)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2013, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by phdtomd
Having trouble too, but with Android app. Website works though, nearly had a stroke this morning. I drained the account just in case
Mine is back up and running fine now.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by craz
nothing stops them from pressing any button that they know will result in a "Denied".
So true.... just had this happen when buying a VR from our local drugstore... The cashier insisted that I could not pay with a credit card, but said she would try it even though she knew it wouldn't work and pushed a button when I swiped. Then she turned the screen around to prove to me that it did not accept it. I told her I had purchased one from that very location before as well as another location recently and she said she would try it again and it magically went through. I left thinking it was quite interesting that they can even control that when they want to.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by phantasmic
So true.... just had this happen when buying a VR from our local drugstore... The cashier insisted that I could not pay with a credit card, but said she would try it even though she knew it wouldn't work and pushed a button when I swiped. Then she turned the screen around to prove to me that it did not accept it. I told her I had purchased one from that very location before as well as another location recently and she said she would try it again and it magically went through. I left thinking it was quite interesting that they can even control that when they want to.
Personally, I am really getting tired of saying "But i bought one here 3 weeks ago with no problems" to many places that gave me no problem before. =(
Some go through the second time, some say their managers won't allow it anymore. UGHH
Old Jul 12, 2013, 5:42 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Question Problems after loading third card

Hi all,

I have had same problem twice now so I thought I shall ask here. Yesterday, I unloaded two CGC to my BB account, no problems. Then 1 CGC to my wife's BB, no problem but when tried unloading the 4th one, the system locked and asked for store log in. I had to call somebody to clear it and the transaction went through fine after a few mins.

I had exactly the same problem today. This time, I used my wife BB first and then min. After third card, it needed store login saying something abt compliance limits. I am well within $5k monthly limits. After the CSR cleared the lockup, the transaction went fine.

Did this happen to anyone else? Something locks up after third card and need human intervention by a CSR?
Old Jul 12, 2013, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Delta2010
Hi all,

I have had same problem twice now so I thought I shall ask here. Yesterday, I unloaded two CGC to my BB account, no problems. Then 1 CGC to my wife's BB, no problem but when tried unloading the 4th one, the system locked and asked for store log in. I had to call somebody to clear it and the transaction went through fine after a few mins.

I had exactly the same problem today. This time, I used my wife BB first and then min. After third card, it needed store login saying something abt compliance limits. I am well within $5k monthly limits. After the CSR cleared the lockup, the transaction went fine.

Did this happen to anyone else? Something locks up after third card and need human intervention by a CSR?
You will find info either in this thread or the GC thread or even the CVS $1K a day thread - they are all scattered around.

In a nutshell., it seems the amount matters - depends on the store, it seems the kiosk is programmed to require human intervention after X amount is loaded consecutively, not the number of cards nor different accounts, but the total $ within a certain time frame - which includes a stranger's who happen to go ahead of you... This is done to prevent fraud.

You could go to any check out line and almost every cashier knows how to do it. Though again some stores have limited the $ a cashier could load (not hard-coded but just instruction) so above X $ you would need to go to the CS desk to load.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by slickpokerdealer
Tried searching.. But could not find.. Can someone tell me if the $1K per day limit resets at 12:01 AM Eastern or Central?
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
CST. I have tested this before.
Anybody know if this has changed recently? I went to my local WM just before 10pm PDT (midnight CDT) and loaded 1k to mine and my wife's BBs. Walked around for a bit and at about 10 minutes after 10pm and got "Debit Not Approved". Tried three different times with two different Chase GCs and it was a no-go. Had just loaded 3 Chase GCs without an issue, so I doubt it is the GCs. Is it possibly local to your timezone, or maybe something messed up with CDT vs CST?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by jasonvr
Anybody know if this has changed recently? I went to my local WM just before 10pm PDT (midnight CDT) and loaded 1k to mine and my wife's BBs. Walked around for a bit and at about 10 minutes after 10pm and got "Debit Not Approved". Tried three different times with two different Chase GCs and it was a no-go. Had just loaded 3 Chase GCs without an issue, so I doubt it is the GCs. Is it possibly local to your timezone, or maybe something messed up with CDT vs CST?
I had the exact same problem last night. I had two BBs with me and had the same error on both, so it wasn't just a particular card. More testing required to see if they changed the reset clock?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SuperKirby
Personally, I am really getting tired of saying "But i bought one here 3 weeks ago with no problems" to many places that gave me no problem before. =(
Some go through the second time, some say their managers won't allow it anymore. UGHH
If the newbies would read the thread then we wouldn't have people posting really dumb responses..
Old Jul 13, 2013, 7:05 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA, Chase UR, AMEX MR
Exclamation Columbia Gas

I am having trouble adding Columbia Gas to my list of Payees. For some reason, it is saying that the account number and zip code donot match. I checked liked 10 times already and they both match with the current bill. Did anyone else had the same problem?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Delta2010
I am having trouble adding Columbia Gas to my list of Payees. For some reason, it is saying that the account number and zip code donot match. I checked liked 10 times already and they both match with the current bill. Did anyone else had the same problem?
I had issues with my apartment complex like this.

Try doing the full 9 digit zip code with no dash.

If it doesn't work, call BB and they will connect you to IT and do it with you. What I got from it was put in as much information as you can.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:31 am
Formerly known as god_forbids

Programs: DL Kettle
Question Would it be too much to ask, dear friends ... ?

Originally Posted by god_forbids
Those of you who buy black beans and load to BB at WM are direct depositors with BB to avoid the fees, right? Or is there some other good way to avoid the load fee? PMs appreciated.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:36 am

Programs: UA MPE, BA Blue, AA, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Silver, HHonors Silver, National Exec, Avis First
Originally Posted by god_forbids
Just a data point. Haven't seen any white beans for a while, in the CVS stores I usually check here in HNL. Those of you who buy black beans and load to BB at WM are direct depositors with BB to avoid the fees, right? Or is there some other good way to avoid the load fee? PMs appreciated.
What the heck are "white beans" and "black beans"?
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Bender464
What the heck are "white beans" and "black beans"?
Just a guess... MVD and VR??

Black bean lol... now I must have Chipotle.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Just a guess... MVD and VR??

Black bean lol... now I must have Chipotle.
lmao
Old Jul 13, 2013, 3:48 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, National EE, Avis PC
Hoping someone can help me out here.

I recently tried to open a BB account although I have an existing Serve account - it gave me the "You have an existing Serve account" error. I cancelled the Serve account and tried again - still received the same error. I contacted BB CS who 3-way'd me with Serve CS. I was told to wait 24 hours, then make sure to use identical information (same e-mail address, etc.). I waited 24 hours, and it still didn't work. I waited a week and tried again - won't work with a different e-mail address, and when I try to use the same address, it says the e-mail address is already used. I tried logging in (no dice), and then doing a password reset (says there is no user at that address). I called CS again, and they said wait 30 days and try again.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.