Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by BumpMeVoucherMeATL
Anyone else being told by CVS that they have to call your card in for authorization? I live here in Atlanta and they've started writing my name down when I buy Vanilla Prepaids and they tell me they have to call in for authorization on my card. The end result is 2 pre-auths on my card. One for the POS purchase and another for the call. It completely ties up my credit line until the called-in pre-Auth falls off after 7 days.
Yep I know of one store here that calls in and another says they have to but doesn't depending on who the shift supervisor is. The third store I go to doesn't do anything special, so it's all over the map.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Just a follow up on my post yesterday, waited a few hours and then tried to load the cards, all of them loaded except for the first 2 that I had tried earlier in the day. kept getting error code 4005-- spoke w/ csr at VRN who does some investigating and comes back on the phone saying that both of these cards funds had been consumed and to call my local police dept to inform them.

After getting over the initial shock the more I thought about it I figured something didn't add up, first of all I always check the strips on the back to see if they had been tampered with and they were both fine, also one of them was the older style strip, plus the fact that the only 2 cards I had a problem with were the 2 that I tried to load before they were activated.

Called back to VRN and explained what the other rep had told me and asked if he could verify it, after holding for a few minutes he comes back and says the cards have not been activated, he will send a dispute form to get the funds back. But how do you go from being told to call the police because you have been ripped off to nope the cards were never activated?!!

Just another example of hucb I guess...
Old Mar 17, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by JRV62
Another trick is loading using the toll free number on the back. Sometimes after the website load fails people have had success with calling the 800 number to load.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:05 am

Just a follow up on my post yesterday, waited a few hours and then tried to load the cards, all of them loaded except for the first 2 that I had tried earlier in the day. kept getting error code 4005-- spoke w/ csr at VRN who does some investigating and comes back on the phone saying that both of these cards funds had been consumed and to call my local police dept to inform them.

After getting over the initial shock the more I thought about it I figured something didn't add up, first of all I always check the strips on the back to see if they had been tampered with and they were both fine, also one of them was the older style strip, plus the fact that the only 2 cards I had a problem with were the 2 that I tried to load before they were activated.

Called back to VRN and explained what the other rep had told me and asked if he could verify it, after holding for a few minutes he comes back and says the cards have not been activated, he will send a dispute form to get the funds back. But how do you go from being told to call the police because you have been ripped off to nope the cards were never activated?!!

So your receipt didn't show the cards as activated? Does the receipt even list your 2 VRs? You should have been able to tell when you bought your VRs. If the total charged doesn't match you have an issue.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
Another trick is loading using the toll free number on the back. Sometimes after the website load fails people have had success with calling the 800 number to load.
i load all VR using the tell number on back - never had luck with the site when i first started this hobby so i feel comfortable loading via phone. sit in the car after i buy them and load instantly. never had an issue.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 9:13 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by jordandawg05
i load all VR using the tell number on back - never had luck with the site when i first started this hobby so i feel comfortable loading via phone. sit in the car after i buy them and load instantly. never had an issue.
+1, and often much faster..
Old Mar 17, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
So your receipt didn't show the cards as activated? Does the receipt even list your 2 VRs? You should have been able to tell when you bought your VRs. If the total charged doesn't match you have an issue.
You completely missed what the poster had posted yesterday on what was shown on the receipt.

There most likely a communication errors between InComm and the CVS system when he bought his cards. It is nothing new, happened periodically. Sometimes it is a systemwide issue, like the holiday periods last year.

The cards in question are not properly activated at the time of purchase. Normally they would be activated within the next few hours. Many of us have experienced similar things. Unfortunately this time it never did. So the OP now needs to go thru some process to rectify this. Par the course.

New data point, I have been buying beans at cvs since the beginning, the receipt has always said the cards have been activated, and have been able to load them right away. Today the receipt says-- prepaid card activation will occur within 24 hours-- sure enough I tried loading them and they aren't activated. Wondering if this is a one time thing or something new being implemented by cvs?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
So why would you say "Rolling 24 hours", with a period LOL

It's been widely discussed that the reset happens overnight, and that some people have even been able to buy 5k twice in the same night.
Thanks all - yeah I had no problem going back in the next morning... Had been probably about 20-22 hours since my last purchase.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by PowerMan572
I've gone to my local CVS twice now with 2 different cashiers and both allowed me to buy Vanilla Reloads with my Citi Executive card! My first CVS (the one closest to my house... of course) did not allow me to. However, the 2nd CVS is in a bigger city and they must be use to it. The 2nd guy knew about swiping my ID. They are allowing me to purchase $2k per day. That's fine by me!

Sitting pretty happy now that I know I'm going to meet my $10k spending limit for my AAdvantage card

Successfully went back this morning and bought another $2k :-)

I'm having my partner open a BlueBird account. That way I can do $10k a month then. If things keep going well that I'll have my parents open an account that I can use as well. $20k a month, here I come!!
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PowerMan572
Successfully went back this morning and bought another $2k :-)

I'm having my partner open a BlueBird account. That way I can do $10k a month then. If things keep going well that I'll have my parents open an account that I can use as well. $20k a month, here I come!!
I would ease up there. People go overboard and then wonder why all their accounts are getting shutdown and points getting clawed back. Different lenders tolerate different amounts of MS, but I think they all eventually have limits about what they will tolerate. Keep in mind lenders will get nervous if your spending a huge amount if your income does not suggest you can sustain that level of spending.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
I would ease up there. People go overboard and then wonder why all their accounts are getting shutdown and points getting clawed back. Different lenders tolerate different amounts of MS, but I think they all eventually have limits about what they will tolerate. Keep in mind lenders will get nervous if your spending a huge amount if your income does not suggest you can sustain that level of spending.
what is a safe MS amount per month for chase/amex? i MS for min spend lately and did like 3k. since i met my spending and my strategy atm is collecting SPG and UR points - is around 2k-3k 'safe' per sey to MS with chase/amex?

i don't want to get in trouble and i only want to pay mortgage and car atm with MS funds. i have and spg card and several UR cards ( freedom, sapphire, Ink) that i could split transaction on. if each month i put 1k spg and 1k UR (via two of the cards) is that OK?

if i was amex/chase and i keep seeing 500 from CVS , wouldn't that be suspicious?
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US
what is a safe MS amount per month for chase/amex? i MS for min spend lately and did like 3k. since i met my spending and my strategy atm is collecting SPG and UR points - is around 2k-3k 'safe' per sey to MS with chase/amex?

i don't want to get in trouble and i only want to pay mortgage and car atm with MS funds. i have and spg card and several UR cards ( freedom, sapphire, Ink) that i could split transaction on. if each month i put 1k spg and 1k UR (via two of the cards) is that OK?

if i was amex/chase and i keep seeing 500 from CVS , wouldn't that be suspicious?
500 charge at cvs is perfectly legitimate, what makes you worry?
you ar ebuying a product which someone is selling
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:34 pm

2-3k split among amex and chase should be fine. My understanding is that amex is more sensitive. It really depends on your credit profile with the lender. If you make 15k a year then spending 24k a year on a credit card will get you a FR with amex. So its not really one size fits all. I've bought 2k in VRs at once with chase without a problem to go towards my rent payments. I have heard stories of people doing 2.5k with amex in a month and getting shutdown. Of course I heard a story of someone getting shutdown by citi for buying two gift cards as a graduation present, so I guess you never really know. Bottom line is that there are certain lenders that I value more than others and will be less likely to take a risk with.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Red259
2-3k split among amex and chase should be fine. My understanding is that amex is more sensitive. It really depends on your credit profile with the lender. If you make 15k a year then spending 24k a year on a credit card will get you a FR with amex. So its not really one size fits all. I've bought 2k in VRs at once with chase without a problem to go towards my rent payments. I have heard stories of people doing 2.5k with amex in a month and getting shutdown. Of course I heard a story of someone getting shutdown by citi for buying two gift cards as a graduation present, so I guess you never really know. Bottom line is that there are certain lenders that I value more than others and will be less likely to take a risk with.
well, ive been with amex for a long time and my main daily card is the spg..so i charge 2x+ a month on the spg by itself. i spend about 1k+ on chase cards and those are real transactions...total credit with amex is 20k ( not counting platinum , no credit line there). and total personal credit with chase is 30k +10k business (ink).

Amex has been the longer relationship and chase i've been with them for 1.5 years since i learned about this game.

from what i mentioned, any other comments about reasonable spending? i know people do crazy MS out there 10k+ a month and i probably will never do that.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:05 pm

well, ive been with amex for a long time and my main daily card is the spg..so i charge 2x+ a month on the spg by itself. i spend about 1k+ on chase cards and those are real transactions...total credit with amex is 20k ( not counting platinum , no credit line there). and total personal credit with chase is 30k +10k business (ink).

Amex has been the longer relationship and chase i've been with them for 1.5 years since i learned about this game.

from what i mentioned, any other comments about reasonable spending? i know people do crazy MS out there 10k+ a month and i probably will never do that.
If its mixed in with other spend I doubt it would be an issue. I also think its more noticeable when you do it maxing out bonus categories on cards vs a mere $1 to 1 point reward. My current comfort line with Chase (per card) no more than 2.5k a month and with Amex (per card) 2k per month. My numbers are somewhat arbitrary and based on anecdotal evidence I have seen in the forums. I don't have the spg card yet. I have prg and bcp. With the bcp I don't bother with VRs unless I want to carry the balance on the bcp. I would be curious how much MS/VRs people are putting through safely on the PRG. Keep in mind that lenders can tighten up their policies at the drop of a hat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.