Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Fico2Go
I am often asked how I will be paying for the purchase. My response is always CHARGE CARD.

Somehow people tend to value a charge card as cash vs. credit card. At one CVS location I went to the store mgr told me all GCs and Reload cards were cash only. I asked him if he was sure and he said it was changed a couple months ago to cash only. THIS WAS WHEN I FIRST STARTED OUT MSING AND DIDN'T KNOW ANY BETTER.

A couple days later went back to the same CVS and picked up 4 One Vanilla cards and paid with my charge card.

Of course my charge card has revolving line just like credit cards.
Ok so assume you say "charge card" and you slide your CC through the CVS system, wouldn't the cashier expect you to type in a PIN for your "charge card"? I can't get a sense from your post on whether you were successful in saying "charge card". It seems like it didn't work because you said you had to come back a couple days later to buy your VRs. I think its fairly obvious that during the transaction that they will find out that it is not a debit card.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Ok so assume you say "charge card" and you slide your CC through the CVS system, wouldn't the cashier expect you to type in a PIN for your "charge card"? I can't get a sense from your post on whether you were successful in saying "charge card". It seems like it didn't work because you said you had to come back a couple days later to buy your VRs. I think its fairly obvious that during the transaction that they will find out that it is not a debit card.
Charge cards are not the same as debit cards or credit cards. A charge card is similar to a credit card, but the balance must be paid in full every month.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Yes it went through as a credit card. It didn't matter as long as it says approved on the clerk's screen. Perhaps some people think charge card is the same as debit card or some special card that is like CASH? People have enough confusion between debit, pin based, GC, and prepaid cards. They dont have time to learn the difference between charge and credit.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:40 pm

Programs: Delta P, SPG G, Marriott S, Hertz PC
Having spent a ton of time in retail, here is what I can tell you. cashiers don't know the difference between charge and credit, and it runs the same way, same networks. Difference is your bankif they demand payment, not how it is processed.

An amex plat gets run the same way as an amex blue cash on the merchant side.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 12:55 pm

my understanding of charge card and credit cards was that you simply swipe and sign when using. the only time you punch in a pin was when you use your debit card, no? I thought the difference between charge and credit was that you had to pay off the charge card at the end of the month and there's no spending limit.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:04 pm

As previously stated, there is no difference between a credit card and a charge card in terms of the relationship between the merchant and the card issuer. Both have transaction fees and neither instantly pays the retailer (both are basically a promise of payment).

The difference is in terms of the relationship between the card issuer and the card holder.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, PC Plat, SPG Gld, HH Gld, MR Gld
Originally Posted by hitman1420
If it's not hidden on the rack, it's pretty unfair.

I kind of consider fair game if people hide them behind other GCs on the rack, if they hide them elsewhere in the store, that's just wrong.

VRs have a distinct look to them, you'll be able to spot a hidden VR a mile away once you realize you need to look for the black markings on the side of the VR.

I usually just look at the sides of other gift cards and look for discrepancies. If so, I check to see if it's hidden VRs and more often than not, it is.
I hide mine really well in the rack (similar colored cards).

But seriously, "Where have all the VRs gone"? I been going into 3 different locations; and the racks are empty of VRs. It's been that way for 3 weeks now. Prior to this period, they use to stock them back up late Thursday nights. There were always plenty on Friday and through the weekend.

Is anyone else seeing this?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA PLAT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kwbtraveler
"Where have all the VRs gone"? I been going into 3 different locations; and the racks are empty of VRs. It's been that way for 3 weeks now. Prior to this period, they use to stock them back up late Thursday nights. There were always plenty on Friday and through the weekend.

No, but I am so stupid. Changed my prescription over to CVS today and while checking turned around to see another prepaid GC rack with the same items as the one in front and it was loaded. Duh... even been doing this for a year.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by ThereYaGo
No, but I am so stupid. Changed my prescription over to CVS today and while checking turned around to see another prepaid GC rack with the same items as the one in front and it was loaded. Duh... even been doing this for a year.
You're lucky. The racks by my prescription counter have never had them. They are limited gift cards only.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by IntegraR0064
Anybody buy today? Suddenly my CVS very adamantly told my wife cash only for VR, and apparently according to the cashier it's hard coded (she showed her the screen), and since it's the first of the month wanted to see if anyone else had the same experience. Hoping it's just this store. Will try another store on monday.
No problem in the Twin Cities area I buy. 1.5k on CC at one of my regular haunts.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 6:32 pm

Meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but I thought I would mention an interesting data point here. At my local DC CVS, they now require a manager's approval for any transaction $1k or over. Cashier calls the manager, manager inspects the CC and DL, nods and walks away. Nothing entered into the register, so it's obviously just a store policy. And the managers never seem to care that I'm buying VRs.

I'm sure it's just a one-store-only kind of thing, just thought I'd mention.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:35 pm

Programs: Arrival Points, M-Life, Hyatt, ULTIMATE REWARDS, AA, UAL, SOUTHWEST
Originally Posted by commdiver
As this year's first quarter comes to an end, so will Citi Dividend's 5% at drug stores offer. Which other credit cards do you prefer to use at CVS?
Not to worry. Discover will soon offer 5% back.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 10:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by MarcusBWI
Meaningless in the grand scheme of things, but I thought I would mention an interesting data point here. At my local DC CVS, they now require a manager's approval for any transaction $1k or over. Cashier calls the manager, manager inspects the CC and DL, nods and walks away. Nothing entered into the register, so it's obviously just a store policy. And the managers never seem to care that I'm buying VRs.

I'm sure it's just a one-store-only kind of thing, just thought I'd mention.
They have been doing this at some of the SF Bay Area ice cream stores for quite some time.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by CRUISINGFLYING4LIFE
Not to worry. Discover will soon offer 5% back.
???

Sign up to get 5% Cashback Bonus at Home Improvement Stores, Furniture Stores and Bed Bath & Beyond on up to $1,500 in purchases from April through June 2014.*

Doesn't seem like it.
Old Mar 3, 2014, 11:30 pm

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Originally Posted by kwbtraveler
I hide mine really well in the rack (similar colored cards).

But seriously, "Where have all the VRs gone"? I been going into 3 different locations; and the racks are empty of VRs. It's been that way for 3 weeks now. Prior to this period, they use to stock them back up late Thursday nights. There were always plenty on Friday and through the weekend.

My local CVS which used to have them has been dry for about a week now. On the rack, the general area around the reload cards is empty... they do have plenty of the other kind of Vanilla prepaid cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.