Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by particlemn
you can send your wife to purchase them with her DL.
Yeah we used to do that until we had a new born
Baby just 10.days ago lol. Too tough to do MS tour with a new born
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
Yeah we used to do that until we had a new born
Baby just 10.days ago lol. Too tough to do MS tour with a new born
hey congrats, trust me in a few weeks she will be wanting to get out of the house on her own just to get out and MS tours work, the litle one will take a bit longer at age 3 my son loved taking coins to the bank, we would trade some for 2 dollar bills and they always offered him a lolly pop, now he like hunting the rack for VR's looking for hiden ones.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
all you BEANers in BEANtown need to kick back on the BEANS

all 6 of the CVS I usually hit are tapped dry...

and they aren't replacing them as fast as they used to...
My local CVS (Long Island) has been out of Beans for two weeks, and my second nearby go- to store was also out today. I asked the manager of my local store and he told me that the home office now orders and doles out the beans to the stores, the local store manager is unable to order them independently when they run out. That sux.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by sw128
Last evening, having just received my new AA card I went and picked up a VR and my credit card didn't go through. The cashier said it needed a pin or a different form of payment. She also said that she sold others last night as well WITH a credit card. Fast forward to this morning, I received a fraud alert text from citi telling me to respond to whether or not it was me purchasing last night. I said that it was. My question is: Is this a normal occurrence for the first big purchase using this card OR do I need a PIN code of some kind OR is the store's POS machine not allowing credit cards for VR and the cashier was mistaken? Would appreciate some expert advice. This is my first go around with VRs.
Originally Posted by healthnut
This is very prevalent throughout the thread. Especially if it is your first card with Citi.

There should be no issue after this, and if there is, simply clear it while you're at CVS, and swipe again!

This happened to me today as well, but I had called Citi earlier in the day to let them know that I would be traveling next week AND that I might have some large purchases this weekend. I was put through to the fraud alert dept and was basically told thanks for calling and all would be fine.

The cashier said she had to split the purchase, so I did purchase one VR for $519, but when she tried to do the second one, I got the dreaded "alternate form of payment" message. Always fun when there's already a line forming behind you. She did say that they had a $1K limit per day, but she didn't understand why this wasn't going through and that I should come back tomorrow.

I'm not sure if I should call Citi before I try again tomorrow, or if that would be a bad idea.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by ashap
Yes just buy 2 that total less that 1k. That way they won't scan the ID and you won't be in the system as already having purchased the limit.
Ahhhhh! Forgot that ID scan triggers at $1k or more only. I am used to buying VRs at $500 each and though ID scans happens on the 2nd VR always.

Today, at a different cashier couldn't do the $1007.90 cos it printed out the $5k daily limit even though I reached the limit yesterday.
She acted scared saying she may lose her job. I should have known that I can buy 1 at $500 and 2nd at $400. But didn't work due to the warning print out. Well could have worked but she was saying she may lose her job over this
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:05 pm

Anyone did $9k on the new Citi AA executive card in just first week ?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: SPG Plat. Marriott Plat. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Diamond. IHG Plat.
Anyone did $9k on the new Citi AA executive card in just first week ?
Apparently you haven't read the 100K AA thread....
Some people are already on their second card...
Old Feb 7, 2014, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by f0xx
Apparently you haven't read the 100K AA thread....
Some people are already on their second card...
lol! got to be careful though
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:31 pm

Does CVS allow you to buy GCs with CVS gift cards?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
Does CVS allow you to buy GCs with CVS gift cards?
Of course not.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
Of course not.
YEAH, but I also heard some retail stores will accept store brand GCs on purchases of VGCs.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:30 pm

GUYS. It was touch and go for minute, but I think we're back in biz.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Ahhhhh! Forgot that ID scan triggers at $1k or more only. I am used to buying VRs at $500 each and though ID scans happens on the 2nd VR always.
Today I bought 2 cards for $499.50 each. That brought me in a shade under 1K and avoided the DL scan. The 3.95 purchase fee per card doesn't count towards triggering that DL scan.

I haven't tried it, but I'll wager that you could buy $499.99 x 2 and not have your DL scanned. Has anyone done that?
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:32 pm

^ Yeah. What GetawaysRus said.

I should have known that I can buy 1 at $500 and 2nd at $400.
So long as its under $1000 you're fine. Get crazy and make that second one a $495.
Old Feb 7, 2014, 9:59 pm

I'm relatively new to this (~2 months of purchasing VRs), but I've noticed some changes in my local CVS this week and I thought I'd share as a data point:

VRs are no longer on the rack with the other gift cards - there's just an empty space where they used to hang - they are now by the register. They aren't behind the register, but are by the magazines, candy, etc at the checkout area (they're still plentiful, but just relocated to the registers). Yesterday I bought 1K in VRs and the cashier insisted that she had to do them in separate transactions, so she rang up my non-VR purchases, and then rang up each VR separately (3 transactions total). I was still able to buy them by CC, but this was the first time I'd encountered something like this. She looked at, but didn't scan my DL. I'm still waiting for the charges to show up on my CC statement (purchase still pending) to confirm I got all the points I'm expecting.

Again, I'm pretty new to the VR game, but I thought I'd add my experience with recent changes in my local CVS (in Central MA). I'm planning on buying more tomorrow, so I can get an idea if it was just a peculiarity of a specific cashier or a change in the store policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.