Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CWAL
A new thread was created for the new year in 2017. This is the old thread. For the 2017 on this topic, go here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819562-cvs-master-thread-2017-a.html

CVS is cash only for all Incomm-related reloads and reloadable cards, including Vanilla Reloads and Serve swipe reloads. See memo to stores for complete list. Other cards at CVS can still be bought using credit, but YMMV depending on location, Manager, etc.

New limits rolling out starting 10/20:
Transactions with $300 or more of card face value require ID.
Limit $2000 of card face value per 24 hour rolling period.
Limit of 10 cards per 24 hours.
Cashback posted in 48 hours.

Cash Register Freezing
Multiple reports that the CVS cash register will freeze and lock after scanning the ID when purchasing multiple prepaid cards. Then the register's computer needs to be restarted. Some report that "swiping" the ID instead of "scanning" will avoid the issue.

Limit of 7 tenders (swipes) per transaction. This is most commonly run into when using low-value AGCs. After seven, the transaction must be complete, no cash (or any other payment method) will be accepted to pay the balance.
Print Wikipost

CVS master thread(2013-2016)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 11:02 am

Bought max permitted 10 VR on 10 different cards. Earlier cashier would accept one transaction for each card and since each amount was less than $1000, there was no need to scan DL.

Now they put on a single receipt for all 10 VR and split payment on each credit card. One DL scan. I am OK because I can now cover 2 BB card requirement in just two trips to CVS.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Nishant1
Bought max permitted 10 VR on 10 different cards. Earlier cashier would accept one transaction for each card and since each amount was less than $1000, there was no need to scan DL.

Now they put on a single receipt for all 10 VR and split payment on each credit card. One DL scan. I am OK because I can now cover 2 BB card requirement in just two trips to CVS.
If youre gonna have your DL scanned whats the pt of using 10 different CCs? Its alot easier and quicker if using 1 or 2
Old Dec 15, 2013, 2:27 pm

Thousands of dollars in purchase in Drug stores periodically on a single credit card appears risky to me. Prefer to spread the risk over multiple cards
Old Dec 15, 2013, 6:02 pm

Thousands of dollars in purchase in Drug stores periodically on a single credit card appears risky to me. Prefer to spread the risk over multiple cards
So I assume U are not using any 5pts/$ spent rewards card, what is it worth to U doing 10K a month? (cost is 10k pts for $80/100 )
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Went to CVS today and did my usual 5k...
The cashier swiped my ID as normal, only this time was prompted to also enter information such as my name and address into the system? Is this just another anti fraud measure I wonder?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:20 pm

So I assume U are not using any 5pts/$ spent rewards card, what is it worth to U doing 10K a month?[/QUOTE]

Varying mix of cards which give between 2% or 5% resulting in net 1.2% to 3.8%.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:21 pm

So I assume U are not using any 5pts/$ spent rewards card, what is it worth to U doing 10K a month?
Varying mix of cards which give between 2% or 5% resulting in net 1.2% to 3.8%.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
This very subject has been talked to death, and does not belong in this thread as it does not have any bearing on the thread title.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Is the Game Over at CVS?

Today, I stopped by my local CVS, which has ALWAYS sold me VRs using my CC. The clerk said CASH ONLY when I tried to buy two VR cards. When I said I had always been using my CC, she said it wasn't CVS, but the Vanilla Reload card manufacturer (Incomm) that told CVS to stop selling the cards using credit and debit cards. I asked when this started and she said 3 weeks ago (which coincidentally was the last time I bought VR cards there).

Anyone else hear about this new "policy"? Her explanation makes no sense whatsoever to me and I don't believe it for a minute. I think I will go back after her shift is over to see if it's just her unwillingness to sell the cards and not a store policy. This is the very first time this has happened at that CVS since I started buying VR cards there 13 months ago.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA Gold, AA Gold, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle, etc etc
Had no prob buying 10 scoops on a CC just a few hours ago.

Originally Posted by DCBob
Today, I stopped by my local CVS, which has ALWAYS sold me VRs using my CC. The clerk said CASH ONLY when I tried to buy two VR cards. When I said I had always been using my CC, she said it wasn't CVS, but the Vanilla Reload card manufacturer (Incomm) that told CVS to stop selling the cards using credit and debit cards. I asked when this started and she said 3 weeks ago (which coincidentally was the last time I bought VR cards there).

Anyone else hear about this new "policy"? Her explanation makes no sense whatsoever to me and I don't believe it for a minute. I think I will go back after her shift is over to see if it's just her unwillingness to sell the cards and not a store policy. This is the very first time this has happened at that CVS since I started buying VR cards there 13 months ago.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:44 pm

Programs: Bunch of mid-tiers

I've certainly bought plenty in the DC suburbs over the last 3 weeks, including today. As always some stores are cash only or become cash only. Please report back what happens.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 2:54 pm

I had no issues using a CC to buy VRs today either...
Old Dec 16, 2013, 5:45 pm

When I went to my regular CVS today, the cashier said, "I think these have to be paid with cash only." I told her I've gotten them there often with a CC, so she called her manager. The manager said she thinks they can be paid with a CC and told the cashier to try it, and it still worked.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:00 pm

the manager told me i think cash only. the cashier said i''ve seen him before with split tenders on cc. split each scoop on 3 cards. she schooled the manager.
Old Dec 16, 2013, 6:11 pm

Bought 5K in Orange County today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.