Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 15, 2014, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Steve Oh
What we know so far, that we are happy to share, and won't get the hump when other people ask us or other people get the hump cos we know something they don't.

3V / Pay.com cards are no more

That is all.
Print Wikipost

Manufactured Spend UK

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2013, 11:54 am

Programs: A variety of Platinums, Golds, Silvers and other fancy metals.
Originally Posted by 21H21J
Another 3v fallacy. Technically you can do any number of cards in one transaction, although more cards will take longer to activate and is a bigger headache when one cards fails.

I tend to do batches of 10, but the key is to have them sub-total after each card.
Quite possibly, but the first time I bought some, which was 18 in one hit, completley unaware that cards could fail, it was an absolute nightmare going through all the slips to find which one it was.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 2:16 pm

Quite possibly, but the first time I bought some, which was 18 in one hit, completley unaware that cards could fail, it was an absolute nightmare going through all the slips to find which one it was.
Indeed. I've been given unactivated cards as the staffer found it too difficult to work out which one failed. What you have to watch carefully is when a staffer decides a certain card didn't activate and takes it away from you. They are not always right and has led to many issues for people.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Had a right hassle last night getting some in Tesco.
Basically the guy said they can only be done on a proper til (not self service) and that it doesn't open til 8am - I was there about 04:00.
In the end I had to get him to call the manager down who pretty much ordered him to stop being so lazy and to get on the proper til.

I'd imagine it was the fact I had 48 cards in my hand that I wanted to buy, lol.
Got it sorted in the end but could have done without the hassle.
Any chance this was the Feltham Dukes Green store?
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by flood
Any chance this was the Feltham Dukes Green store?
Yes, it was.
I was very lucky as my previous 11 visits had all been unsuccessful
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by Steve Oh
Yes, it was.
I was very lucky as my previous 11 visits had all been unsuccessful
I'm hardly ever in the vicinity of a large Tesco and as I was going to be in the area I made a detour to go past this store this morning. You beat me to it by a few hours! I didn't see any left...did you clear them out?
Old Oct 20, 2013, 3:33 am

Programs: Some, not all.
A bit more about Morrisons and 3V...
  • Every store I've been to in the last couple of weeks have had 3v cards.
  • Scanning the bar codes can be a problem in some stores, and activation can be particularly slow
  • The fuel savers coupon are quite lucrative. £500 in 3V gets 50p off a litre, which for my car is £20. They can also be stacked to use on one purchase of fuel
  • Check when the fuel saver coupon is used as the number of litres in entered manually
  • Gift card spend is excluded from discount coupons and Christmas bonus offer

And when Morrison eventually start their online sales, it looks like gift cards will be included. From the FAQ page:
Can I buy the cards online?
Currently no, but we are working to ensure we offer this service in 2013.
Old Oct 20, 2013, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by flood
I'm hardly ever in the vicinity of a large Tesco and as I was going to be in the area I made a detour to go past this store this morning. You beat me to it by a few hours! I didn't see any left...did you clear them out?

Yes, sorry - I decided a while ago, after missing loads of 3V opportunities that I wasn't going to let another go.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 2:58 pm

It has been a while since I've seen more than one solo 3v cards in a Tesco.... And yes, I get around (anything up to 20 visits of stores per week).
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:34 pm

20 different stores, or going to the same store 20 times?

Time to branch out to Homebase and Morrisons.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by 21H21J
20 different stores, or going to the same store 20 times?

Time to branch out to Homebase and Morrisons.
Oh don't worry. I really get around... There are a couple of stores I hit frequently but the rest are different stores. For example tonight I'm in E hunting, tomorrow might be E2, the next day S etc etc.

And yes I've flirted with Morrison's , but am still longing for the double offer (Tesco club card bonus plus amex bonus)
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:06 am

Anyone know if Amex Travel money still goes through as a normal transaction instead of a cash advance?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 4:30 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by Richyo
Anyone know if Amex Travel money still goes through as a normal transaction instead of a cash advance?
It did late last month.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:59 am

Programs: Amex MR, BA, VS, IHG Amb, SPG, Tufty Club
Originally Posted by Richyo
Originally Posted by louie-m
It did late last month.
Do you get Amex MRs, Avios or SPG Points (or whatever Amex trinkets you collect) on the transaction?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:23 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
Originally Posted by Neaput
Do you get Amex MRs, Avios or SPG Points (or whatever Amex trinkets you collect) on the transaction?
Yes.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 10:32 am

Heads up

Spend £40* either in store or on our Grocery site between Monday 21st October and Sunday 27th October 2013 and receive a £5 off coupon for your next £40** shop delivered between Monday 28th October and Sunday 3rd November 2013.
I went to town on this one last time around and got 40 odd vouchers = £4k in MS and made money on the deal.

Worst case scenario if they are no 3V stock (which is likely), you can buy the £53.95 cards - one this week one next week using the voucher. Net cost is £2.90 for 300 Clubcard points plus your credit card points. For me this works out at £2.90 per 1000 avios.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.