FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1438710-suspicious-activity-reports-irs-when-buying-depositing-money-orders.html)

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 22, 2013 7:02 am

Just have the noncitizen use a *debit card* from a bank account (or pseudo bank account) you hold and the MO purchase will fly. Credit cards typically can't be used to buy MOs. That said, the credit cards can fund the debit cards that can be used to buy MOs.

Originally Posted by Tiki (Post 21137638)
Can a non-US citizen buy a money order using his passport for ID? For example my Australian husband buys a money order made out to me (US citizen) which I deposit to my bank account and pay off the credit card. I can add him as an authorized user without a SSN on most credit cards.

FlightNurse Jul 22, 2013 8:39 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy (Post 21137757)
Just have the noncitizen use a *debit card* from a bank account (or pseudo bank account) you hold and the MO purchase will fly. Credit cards typically can't be used to buy MOs. That said, the credit cards can fund the debit cards that can be used to buy MOs.

You can buy Visa GC with a Credit card (at certain location), then take the Visa GC/w pin and buy the money order.

farwest101 Jul 22, 2013 9:58 am

Originally Posted by Tiki (Post 21137638)
Can a non-US citizen buy a money order using his passport for ID? For example my Australian husband buys a money order made out to me (US citizen) which I deposit to my bank account and pay off the credit card. I can add him as an authorized user without a SSN on most credit cards.

No one ever asked for my ID at WM when buying a MO. If for some strange reason they do, you can use the Money Center Kiosk and buy $500 MOs (max amount at the kiosk for 70 cents cost) and it doesn't ask for ID.

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 22, 2013 10:08 am

It might aid to know that location.:p That said, you can get a US Bank or Nationwide Bank BUXX card and achieve the same objective (at a slower velocity) without the need to be a Drugstore Cowboy.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 21138171)
You can buy Visa GC with a Credit card (at certain location), then take the Visa GC/w pin and buy the money order.

TheDapperDon Jul 22, 2013 10:22 am

Originally Posted by drdrew450 (Post 21113944)
data point:

I walked into bank of america handed a 1000 mo over to pay down my virgin atlantic credit card...went smoothly. I did not even have the card on me.

I bought a MO to pay a mortgage payment. It went smoothly. I will do the same for some CC payments as well.

TheDapperDon Jul 22, 2013 10:28 am

Originally Posted by KYBOSH (Post 21114361)
I think I read that thread. Was he mailing it in or was he going to the branch to do the transactions? Big Difference IMO.

I have a bank near home and a different bank near work that I'm going to deposit MOs in. I'm going to open accounts with 2 other banks as well. I don't think I'm doing anything illegal or trying to hide something, but I do want to avoid questions about my change in activities. I have two online banks, but they don't let MO deposits via apps. So, I will have to visit branches. I was going to open one of the new accounts anyway so I could get a CC bonus, so I'm not going too far out of the way. All of these places are 2-5 minutes from where I live or work.

drdrew450 Jul 22, 2013 11:44 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 21138734)
I have a bank near home and a different bank near work that I'm going to deposit MOs in. I'm going to open accounts with 2 other banks as well. I don't think I'm doing anything illegal or trying to hide something, but I do want to avoid questions about my change in activities. I have two online banks, but they don't let MO deposits via apps. So, I will have to visit branches. I was going to open one of the new accounts anyway so I could get a CC bonus, so I'm not going too far out of the way. All of these places are 2-5 minutes from where I live or work.

I could be wrong but I believe opening a bank account means they will do a hard inquiry...which in this game is worth quite a bit.

myndreamland Jul 22, 2013 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by drdrew450 (Post 21139169)
I could be wrong but I believe opening a bank account means they will do a hard inquiry...which in this game is worth quite a bit.

I have 15 bank accounts between me and my SO. One single hard hit for opening Citigold online.

TheDapperDon Jul 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by myndreamland (Post 21139474)
I have 15 bank accounts between me and my SO. One single hard hit for opening Citigold online.

Yeah, only some banks do it.

FlightNurse Jul 23, 2013 12:21 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy (Post 21138625)
It might aid to know that location.:p That said, you can get a US Bank or Nationwide Bank BUXX card and achieve the same objective (at a slower velocity) without the need to be a Drugstore Cowboy.

Interesting, I only buy my Visa GC at Krogers (fry's) or Safewway grocery stores, I get the beans at the drug store.

FlightNurse Jul 23, 2013 12:22 am

Originally Posted by TheDapperDon (Post 21138734)

If you aren't hiding something why are you opening multi bank accounts?

vtqanh Jul 23, 2013 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 21142804)

For me it'd be a big convenience when my main bank closes my account. I would have to go update a bunch of payment information and direct deposit information. It doesn't matter to the banks whether I have nothing to hide; the fact is that they generally do not like to see a lot of MO's deposited. So it's best to have several bank accounts and if at any point they decide they are getting tired of me depositing MO's, they can just close it down, I'll move on to the next bank

TheDapperDon Jul 23, 2013 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by vtqanh (Post 21146108)
For me it'd be a big convenience when my main bank closes my account. I would have to go update a bunch of payment information and direct deposit information. It doesn't matter to the banks whether I have nothing to hide; the fact is that they generally do not like to see a lot of MO's deposited. So it's best to have several bank accounts and if at any point they decide they are getting tired of me depositing MO's, they can just close it down, I'll move on to the next bank

Exactly.

In addition, I believe that I can deposit MOs around in addition to slowly loading GB and mixing in some swipes, so that I can keep all of them running just fine.

kirax2 Jul 28, 2013 7:45 am

Personally, I purchase, and deposit, money orders in increments of no more than $2000 at a time because I don't feel comfortable carrying more than that around with me. I don't like to fill out my money orders immediately, because I don't always know if I'll want to deposit them or use them to pay a bill, etc, but this means that they are vulnerable to theft, like a blank signed check. So I purchase $2000 at a time, take them home, and next time I'm heading to the bank I take $2000 in money orders with me, fill them out when I get there, and deposit them.

And so I will explain, if anyone ever asks me why I don't purchase or deposit more than $2000 at a time. It's not an avoidance of paperwork issue; it's because carrying that much money at a time makes me nervous.

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 28, 2013 8:33 am

Lots of us believe in banking diversity. Afterall, your government says diversity is good.:p In the coin days diversity was the only way to assure timely (large volume) metal recycling. Today diversity assures the ability for credit card funding of bank recapitalization efforts and debit card funding of paper recycling projects.:cool:

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 21142804)