FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Suspicious Activity Reports to the IRS when buying or depositing money orders. (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1438710-suspicious-activity-reports-irs-when-buying-depositing-money-orders.html)

FlightNurse Jul 11, 2013 7:04 am

Originally Posted by jewsus (Post 21077767)
$12K in a month? lol. I did that yesterday.

When your accounts get closed, don't come back on FT and whin about and blame others.

jewsus Jul 11, 2013 7:22 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 21077974)
When your accounts get closed, don't come back on FT and whin about and blame others.

Don't worry. I understand the risks.

farwest101 Jul 11, 2013 8:06 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 21077974)

Well, I sure wouldn't mind - it's a lot better than the moralizing that some love to do around here:rolleyes:

cashback Jul 11, 2013 8:24 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse (Post 21077413)
Does anyone else find this odd? Really your name, DOB and SSN in a folder which ANYONE can get to???? BTW, it's people like you that have caused this hobbie to have so many issues... 12K in MO'a in one month that is not going to cause red flags???? I'm sure it's not one just one CC, but spending 2K on just one card at WM is excess.

Where do we find out what excess is? Is it in the FAQ?

jewsus Jul 11, 2013 9:22 am

Originally Posted by cashback (Post 21078379)

^

Explore Jul 11, 2013 9:49 am

So who do folks typically show as the purchaser of the MO? Presumably not yourself, made payable to yourself - maybe your SO purchases?

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 11, 2013 10:37 am

Me - made, signed and endorsed by me. Of course my bank has been fully informed of my business model, actually makes a profit from it, and has established a LoC for business expansion. The BSA is all about the banks knowing their customer and I am as transparent as a spook.:cool:

Originally Posted by Explore (Post 21078927)
So who do folks typically show as the purchaser of the MO? Presumably not yourself, made payable to yourself - maybe your SO purchases?

farwest101 Jul 11, 2013 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy (Post 21079216)
Me - made, signed and endorsed by me. Of course my bank has been fully informed of my business model, actually makes a profit from it, and has established a LoC for business expansion. The BSA is all about the banks knowing their customer and I am as transparent as a spook.:cool:

I wouldn't know my banker if I ran her over on the street.

AlohaDaveKennedy Jul 11, 2013 10:37 pm

If you knew your banker, maybe they would set up LoCs for you and discounted annual fees on credit cards.:cool:

Originally Posted by farwest101 (Post 21082804)
I wouldn't know my banker if I ran her over on the street.

drdrew450 Jul 17, 2013 1:06 pm

data point:

I walked into bank of america handed a 1000 mo over to pay down my virgin atlantic credit card...went smoothly. I did not even have the card on me.

rambo Jul 17, 2013 1:35 pm

I was told by a fellow FT'er that he was warned by chase for depositing too much MO directly to pay off his credit card. At least they didn't close his account and take away all his points.

Originally Posted by drdrew450 (Post 21113944)
data point:

I walked into bank of america handed a 1000 mo over to pay down my virgin atlantic credit card...went smoothly. I did not even have the card on me.

KYBOSH Jul 17, 2013 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by rambo (Post 21114144)
I was told by a fellow FT'er that he was warned by chase for depositing too much MO directly to pay off his credit card. At least they didn't close his account and take away all his points.

I think I read that thread. Was he mailing it in or was he going to the branch to do the transactions? Big Difference IMO.

drdrew450 Jul 17, 2013 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by rambo (Post 21114144)

This is the first time I did this, I usually just deposit them into my chase and wells fargo checking accts. I am adding this so I now have 3 accounts to spread them out on, plus lots of different branches.

vagrants Jul 17, 2013 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by cashback (Post 21078379)

It's in the thread...I remember saying something about it. And, you can google what the law says...using keywords like Suspicious Reporting Activity/Currency Transaction Report/etc.

Tiki Jul 22, 2013 6:21 am

Can a non-US citizen buy a money order using his passport for ID? For example my Australian husband buys a money order made out to me (US citizen) which I deposit to my bank account and pay off the credit card. I can add him as an authorized user without a SSN on most credit cards.